Advancing Fire Team - Brevity Assault

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We judged the "Cross" Steeple symbol not so appropriate for the context.... they werent architectural elements with a religious meaning
I do not see the cross symbol as any obstruction to using it for any building with a small top level location.

This is a wargame, trying to be overly politically and religiously correct about it seems a bit unnecessary IMHO.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The map I showed is not the definitive one.... crestline borders will be thinner and some other little differences will be drawn

One thing you might think about is the ocean/sea. You may for aesthetic reasons only (given how nicely the land terrain is drawn, details, color palette, etc.,) is to try and color/texture the ocean likewise...light color by the shore line, fading to a deeper Mediterranian blue further out to sea. Presently the ocean seems neglected/an after thought.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
One thing you might think about is the ocean/sea. You may for aesthetic reasons only (given how nicely the land terrain is drawn, details, color palette, etc.,) is to try and color/texture the ocean likewise...light color by the shore line, fading to a deeper Mediterranian blue further out to sea. Presently the ocean seems neglected/an after thought.
On Google Earth 31°33'32.01"N 25° 9'50.53"E you can see Sollum actual small harbour....

the town is a lot bigger than 1941 but the sea is the same.... as you can see to be very realistic i could draw the sandy bottom that appears to be in the east part of the gulf, the rest is enough dark.... i dont think it is wise to insert elements in the map that have not a scope..... the question in this case is that it should be a meaning for the different colour.... they could be of 2 different colour for G13.4 Shallow/Deep OCEAN hexes meaning, but i didnt preview any seaborne assault and there wasnt a landing there in all the WW2.... the sea isnot made of plain blue but there is a texture (not perfectly viewable at this resolution)

P.S.: The orientation of the map is wrong ( it should be vs upper-left corner), it will be correct in the definitive one

I do not see the cross symbol as any obstruction to using it for any building with a small top level location.

This is a wargame, trying to be overly politically and religiously correct about it seems a bit unnecessary IMHO.

It is not a question of "to be politically and religiously correct", simply that wasnt a church with a steeple, so why i have to put a cross there?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On Google Earth 31°33'32.01"N 25° 9'50.53"E you can see Sollum actual small harbour....
the town is a lot bigger than 1941 but the sea is the same.... as you can see to be very realistic i could draw the sandy bottom that appears to be in the east part of the gulf, the rest is enough dark.... i dont think it is wise to insert elements in the map that have not a scope..... the question in this case is that it should be a meaning for the different colour.... they could be of 2 different colour for G13.4 Shallow/Deep OCEAN hexes meaning, but i didnt preview any seaborne assault and there wasnt a landing there in all the WW2.... the sea isnot made of plain blue but there is a texture (not perfectly viewable at this resolution)
You will for the rules have to define the Ocean hexes and Beach Slope, as this might on some aspect of play matter (even if only in 1 : 50 playings...the Sand state also matters as a result of the Beach Slope)...or you have to say all Ocean hexes are unplayable...but them we still need to know about the Beach

Had the satellite imagine been taken on a different day...

Also if you look at LFTs ocean/hinterland board you will see wave action on the shore (a separate point to having color depth)...I believe recent MMP river boards show a touch of white toward the shore lines. All this is to say is that there is a reason to pat attention to such subtle features.

My point was you made all this beauty on land, and then just defaulted to X blue "blah" in the ocean. This takes away from your map, IMHO. But that is just my view.

In any case wish you well with your project and look forward to seeing it in print.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You will for the rules have to define the Ocean hexes and Beach Slope, as this might on some aspect of play matter (even if only in 1 : 50 playings...the Sand state also matters as a result of the Beach Slope)...or you have to say all Ocean hexes are unplayable...but them we still need to know about the Beach
I don't believe the hexes are "Ocean" hexes [G13] unless there is an Ocean overlay or if defined as such. If left undefined they are water obstacle hexes [B21] at level minus one. Ground hexes adjacent would be at level zero. While you could use G13 to provide more detail, I don't believe it is necessary.

As for creating a visual color gradient in the ocean, that might add a bit of visual appeal, but would also not be necessary.

JR

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It is not a question of "to be politically and religiously correct", simply that wasnt a church with a steeple, so why i have to put a cross there?
The sign in ASL for an upper location of a building with limited stacking capacity is a cross. It does not necessarily mean it is a religious building.

So why would you design a new symbol for that same type of location?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't believe the hexes are "Ocean" hexes [G13] unless there is an Ocean overlay or if defined as such. If left undefined they are water obstacle hexes [B21] at level minus one. Ground hexes adjacent would be at level zero. While you could use G13 to provide more detail, I don't believe it is necessary.

As for creating a visual color gradient in the ocean, that might add a bit of visual appeal, but would also not be necessary.

JR
Ok water obstacle -1...what is the beach? hard sand / soft sand...? Not sand something else? We know? we don't know?...maybe that is desert OG there?...

The point of my post was to try and help them...I don't actually believe they considered some/all of this...(total guess on my part, I admit, [which is plausible])...

Agree the 'gradient' is not totally necessary...I was trying to alert them that they had a beautiful looking Maserati up until they gacked the accent on the rear tail lights! But the Maserati can still do 185 mph (use the Seger voice).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ok water obstacle -1...what is the beach? hard sand / soft sand...? Not sand something else? We know? we don't know?...maybe that is desert OG there?...
No beach at all, unless one is SSR'd. It is ordinary level zero terrain next to a level -1 water obstacle, like a river edge. Unless they want to introduce G13 into the game. Depending on the anticipated play of the game it may be unnecessary to define the details of the beach.

JR

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The map I showed is not the definitive one.... crestline borders will be thinner and some other little differences will be drawn

Hexes will be standard size

GG13 is a symbol we adopted for 2-story houses (since all the other buildings are single story, but with rooftops)

FF8 is a well yes (the depiction gives an half-level obstacle, no TEM even if they are always part of a building hex, not involved in movement, bypass....)

T27 is a symbol we adopted for a bulding level completely equivalent to the Steeple, that we call "Penthouse"

Yes, it will be great to have some more DTO! The fact that there is "terrain" should make for a more enjoyable play experience than many previous scenarios. The map has a great look but I do think there are a couple things to consider. I like the way the colors look but it might need a slight nod toward easier play-ability. It might be just the way it looks on my monitor .......................................

With all the similarly colored levels they could be hard to discern. Especially if someone is using low color temp or incandescent lighting. That tends to cause browns and yellows to blend. If anything I would want a little harder definition of crest lines or somehow a little stronger color difference. In standard size hexes these can become obscured when counters are in them.

Depending on the background color some of the buildings disappear. Maybe a stronger boarder to make them pop.

Seth

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One thing that might be nice is a definition of whether the crest lines are considered at the higher or lower elevation.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The map is gorgeous!
And the idea of a DTO HASL module is a very nice good initiative.
I am sure that appropriate special terrain rules will answer - if needed - the questions that some "inspectors of finished work" have been asking (and others that will come out during playtest).