KGS 12 May day - East Side

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Randy and I plan to play this offering from the main KGS module probably for the rest of this week over VASL. This is perhaps one of the more monstrous scenarios in this module with the Russians clocking in with 50+ squads and the Germans coming in with 40 odd squads to defend Kholm with. The Germans also receive air support on turns 3 and 5, so that will give the Germans a chance to shoot up and break up the Russian attack temporarely. For their part, the Russians get two FB's to hlp stave off the German air support but entry is random. Only part of the map is used in this scenario IE all hexes east of the river are in play, so alotta ground for the Germans to defend there in. The way I have set ip as can be seen in the pic, was to minimize the possible damage from the Russian block bombardments. We did do the Block bombardments earlier today just so we can get right into the scenario this week, The block bombardments did do a little damage, breaking a couple of units but nothing way to over the top damaging.

As for my thoughts on this scenario, I think I will be seeing plenty of human waves this time around, plus the Russians do have armor, so I will have to be cagey in my defense so as to deal these slow but powerful Red Army tanks. Some KGS CG rules are in play including supply cannister drops which are not all that tough to grok rules wise, CG 2 (two snipers on map), CG 10.1 mandatory MA repair and CG 19 which is Bridge repair (why he has this CG rule in this scenario kind of confuses me since there are no mention of Bridges in need of repair). The Germans do suffer ammo shortage but that can be reduced by supply cannister drops. So all in all and other then CG 19, everything else is fairly straight forward. I honestly think the Germans will be hard pressed but if the Air Support comes through for the Germans, it might put a crimp in the Russian attack. Cant wait to get rolling with this one.

Scott

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Randy and I plan to play this offering from the main KGS module probably for the rest of this week over VASL. This is perhaps one of the more monstrous scenarios in this module with the Russians clocking in with 50+ squads and the Germans coming in with 40 odd squads to defend Kholm with. The Germans also receive air support on turns 3 and 5, so that will give the Germans a chance to shoot up and break up the Russian attack temporarely. For their part, the Russians get two FB's to hlp stave off the German air support but entry is random. Only part of the map is used in this scenario IE all hexes east of the river are in play, so alotta ground for the Germans to defend there in. The way I have set ip as can be seen in the pic, was to minimize the possible damage from the Russian block bombardments. We did do the Block bombardments earlier today just so we can get right into the scenario this week, The block bombardments did do a little damage, breaking a couple of units but nothing way to over the top damaging.

As for my thoughts on this scenario, I think I will be seeing plenty of human waves this time around, plus the Russians do have armor, so I will have to be cagey in my defense so as to deal these slow but powerful Red Army tanks. Some KGS CG rules are in play including supply cannister drops which are not all that tough to grok rules wise, CG 2 (two snipers on map), CG 10.1 mandatory MA repair and CG 19 which is Bridge repair (why he has this CG rule in this scenario kind of confuses me since there are no mention of Bridges in need of repair). The Germans do suffer ammo shortage but that can be reduced by supply cannister drops. So all in all and other then CG 19, everything else is fairly straight forward. I honestly think the Germans will be hard pressed but if the Air Support comes through for the Germans, it might put a crimp in the Russian attack. Cant wait to get rolling with this one.

Scott
Always wanted to play this one. Strange about KGS CG19. I wonder if there is errata? @Justiciar ?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
At one point KGS CG19 was an SSR stating that both sides could self-rally two squads in each friendly RPh. In the released version this is now part of KGS CG5. This seems likely but I can't be 100% sure because KGS CG19 was an SSR about rafts (which became KGS CG21) at another point.

JR

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Ok the self rally bit makes sense, Kind of a large battlefield not to invoke CG 5. Randy and I did hook up and we got through one turn of battle. As can be expected the Russians are closing in on the German Defenses and with the help of 4 boxcars the Russians manage to get 4 dead HS, an 81mm MTR and a radio (which I rolled a 6 on in my rally phase) So the Russians will not have to deal with any German 100mm Arty for the next 7 turns. The GPU prison looks like it might collapse soon due to failing PTC's. I will admit though that perhaps my set up should have been more up front and actually take my chances with the two 120mm bombardments. Still, with all my whining, this is seriously a fun scenario that has both sides doing something. Here are pics of my set up and turn 2.may day rus 2.jpgmay day east post bomb.jpg

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

Scott PMed me on the CG 19 point. I had not tracked any of the above with regard to the answer I gave him based off rules as is, as I had not read into these posts as yet. JRV, as usual, is I think rightly tracking the point that it is should be the 2 x self rally.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you would really enjoy KGS 12, some serious thought really has to go into both defense and attack. Unlike your typical geo scenario, there is so much going on for both sides, the Germans can set up to try and hit a weak Russian spot, punch a hole in the Russian defense to try and take back a block or two, the Russians for their part can try to bring about massive FG's to try and dislodge german strong points and so much more. The GPU building is an interesting location to try and defend I can vouch for that. Oh ya, your OBAO is immune to HOB, so no more radio going berzerk and charging to his death with radio in KGS. Andy really did a fantastic job with the SSR's, chrome to the hilt but those special rules make for a fun game in the end. So dont let the deep snow, extream winter, Ammo shortage levels and what not scare you off, the Chrome really makes sense and is actually fun.

Always wanted to play this one. Strange about KGS CG19. I wonder if there is errata? @Justiciar ?

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think you would really enjoy KGS 12, some serious thought really has to go into both defense and attack. Unlike your typical geo scenario, there is so much going on for both sides, the Germans can set up to try and hit a weak Russian spot, punch a hole in the Russian defense to try and take back a block or two, the Russians for their part can try to bring about massive FG's to try and dislodge german strong points and so much more. The GPU building is an interesting location to try and defend I can vouch for that. Oh ya, your OBAO is immune to HOB, so no more radio going berzerk and charging to his death with radio in KGS. Andy really did a fantastic job with the SSR's, chrome to the hilt but those special rules make for a fun game in the end. So dont let the deep snow, extream winter, Ammo shortage levels and what not scare you off, the Chrome really makes sense and is actually fun.
Given your fondness for Chrome Next stop Festung Budapest?

charlie

Reaction score
Country
ll
Played this one with Macrobo a while back over many weeks of PBeM. We had a blast. Hope you enjoy it as much

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this one with Macrobo a while back over many weeks of PBeM. We had a blast. Hope you enjoy it as much
We've never met before? Two of my best buddies and ASL players live very close to you, one right outside New Richmond and the other in Baldwin. Have you made the monthly TCASL (Twin Cities ASL get-together) before?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopped on VASL today to knock out a couple of turns from KGS 12 May Day East scenario with Randy. German casualties are mounting as I hit around 30 CVP's at the start of Russian 4. Russians now need 35 CVP's to win on the CVP VC part of the VC. So far the GPU building fell on turn 3, the Germans rolled 6 11's in a roll which ended up melfing a bunch of SW's. Stunned a one man turreted tank which will send it back home. But the good news for the Germans is that the sair support is in play and ready to cause some casualties, but being on for two turn only, may not be enough, especially if the Russian Airsupport shows up. A better defense on my part perhaps could have extracted a much higher toll from the russian attackers I think.