The best HASL scenario?

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You didn't specify whether or not these scenarios needed to be on a HASL map however this is a big part of the appeal for me...
I have not had much opportunity to play CG because of the time commitments but I definitely enjoy the HASL scenarios giving a bit more flavor to the ASL experience so I have played quite a few scenarios on HASL maps and it was tough to narrow them down. Here are my top 5 choices:

HS26 Got Milk? from Operation Veritable
HS22 Goch Ya from Operation Veritable

FB12 Black Ravens are Flying from Festung Budapest

HB 2 Battle at Arm's Length from Hell's Bridgehead
HB 7 High Tide from Critical Hit #6.4 (Hell's Bridgehead expansion)

TTF4 Tigers on the Balcony from Tigers to the Front

I really enjoyed all of these scenarios.

N

I'm bad at math, but that looks like 6 in the top 5. :D:cool:

No matter, just chuckled a bit.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
You didn't specify whether or not these scenarios needed to be on a HASL map however this is a big part of the appeal for me...
Was thinking about mentioning that but I figured it wouldn't be a proper HASL scenario if not on a HASL map. So yes, it needs to be on a historical map.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
One thing I tried was to play the Initial Scenario of the KGPI CG as a stand alone scenario. This is the one where the mass of German armour attacks the lightly defended Stoumont. The scenario is totally one sided of course. We used the Initial Scenario VC and the Americans got hammered. But the Germans took heavy losses. I just wanted to enjoy maneuvering that mass of German AFV.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RB5 (I think)...The Last Bid...

It's like playing the CG but in a single scenario.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That scenario from "Festung Budapest" that uses all four of the awesome "Festung Budapest" maps.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That scenario from "Festung Budapest" that uses all four of the awesome "Festung Budapest" maps.
There isn't one as far as I know. There was no monster scenario in FB.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Stoumont The Break In was great.
Probably the biggest scenario I have ever played.
I was grumbling that Beast At Bay was the only monster for KGP - but I forgot Stoumont The Break In. Great choice.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I was grumbling that Beast At Bay was the only monster for KGP - but I forgot Stoumont The Break In. Great choice.
Agreed, if I had to narrow it down to two HASL scenarios, Stoumont the Break In and A Legend is Born from BRT are the two I have enjoyed playing the most. The narrative from those games was like reading a tactical history on those actions. Ironically, I lost both of them.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I thought Beast at Bay was unbalanced....

Peace

Roger

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I thought Beast at Bay was unbalanced....

Peace

Roger
It is unbalanced unless you know the correct tactics for the US. Which is I believe to send your tanks through the woods. So I heard.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is unbalanced unless you know the correct tactics for the US. Which is I believe to send your tanks through the woods. So I heard.
When we played that one, that was the tactic to put pressure on the Germans initially. Where we found the best approach was to secure the village of Borgoumont and the cluster of buildings on the NE flank of the Germans early to secure their reinforcements entering from that direction. This afforded the Americans some early high ground and an anvil for the rest of the arriving American forces to hammer the Germans upon as they came in from several different points around the clock (IIRC). By mid-game the Germans should be pushed back across the stream and perhaps even some inroads made on the NE flank across there. The Germans should be suffering from some significant Gas Shortages by then as well, so their heavies should have a hard time reacting to thrusts, and they may well be infantry poor to boot.

As American reinforcements continue to arrive compressing the pocket from all sides, it becomes a grinding affair. Early on the Americans have to be fairly liberal with their armor, accepting heavier losses in exchange for a few German armor losses, but perhaps reducing their mobility if not outright destroying them. By mid game and after, the G.I. doughs will have an increasing deleterious effect on on the dwindling German assets, and a more circumspect approach is advised with usage of their armor support. Save the long distant thunder boomers for later in the CG when you're sure to hit almost anything with it.

It's certainly not the most exciting CG of the lot (at least compared to Stoumont) but is a viable CG for having some fun if the German player is the kind of person that can content himself with a few biting counterattacks and establishing a hard nut defense.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi Eagle - not the CG. Just the Beast At Bay scenario. The CG is another matter.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Eagle - not the CG. Just the Beast At Bay scenario. The CG is another matter.
Ah yes, got me there. I was thinking that was the name of the CG. Had to look now, I guess I've never played the scenario.

I believe the most unbalanced large HASL scenario I've played was The Commissar's House, if you call that a big one. Just form Death stars with the German 4-6-*/MGs, A-Mv & advance with the AEs, rinse and repeat until victory. The most fun large HASL scenario still has to be The Final Bid, even after all these years.