Advancing Fire Team - Brevity Assault

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
"Advancing Fire" is the name of a new Italian ASL scenarios/CGs development team that has begun its activity. You can follow it in the FB group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/176359919713369/.

Advancing Fire Team is working actually on a DTO HASL pack based on mid-May 1941 Operation Brevity in North Africa (Brevity Assault) and on a HASL pack on Gela, Sicily in July 1943 (Biazza Ridge Project). Other preliminary studies are being done on Arracourt 1944 and Roma 1943.

Stay tuned!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Well done guys. Another TPP is welcome.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is awesome! One thing I think would be truly cool would be a HASL based on the hypothetical Invasion of Malta. That has always been one of the big "what ifs" of WW2.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is awesome! One thing I think would be truly cool would be a HASL based on the hypothetical Invasion of Malta. That has always been one of the big "what ifs" of WW2.
A-historical treatment of scenarios, let alone a CG, have a somewhat iffy track record. Hill 621 was well received, probably because it was a SL offering first and provided a "feel" of late war Eastern Front action. Others like Operation Seelow have gone over like pregnant pole-vaulters. A very niche audience at best.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Advancing Fire" is the name of a new Italian ASL scenarios/CGs development team that has begun its activity. You can follow it in the FB group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/176359919713369/.

Advancing Fire Team is working actually on a DTO HASL pack based on mid-May 1941 Operation Brevity in North Africa (Brevity Assault) and on a HASL pack on Gela, Sicily in July 1943 (Biazza Ridge Project). Other preliminary studies are being done on Arracourt 1944 and Roma 1943.

Stay tuned!
More DTO and Sicily....Very nice!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having been involved in the original proofing of the Brevity project, it is an interesting and unique way to manage a CG HASL, and may well form an entirely new method for the ubiquitous "Reset for the next scenario - whatever you choose to call it", phase. No more limiting it to just:

A) take it all off and reset it as desired in your area
B) You can move things around in each little area, but take a risk moving them to another area not connected
C) nothing moves more than a few hexes
D) nothing moves at all and begin another scenario

Which have been the 4 basic choices we have had so far.

Plus, I REALLY like the idea of another DTO -based HASL myself.
(Yes, I am speaking with prior permission from the Advancing Fire team to do so).

That said, I also think there are still a few challenges they are going to face - the most obvious being that doing something "new" in ASL terms is not always guaranteed acceptance by the players. Most of us (the players of ASL at large) do desire to have an answer as to the "What is added to the game by making something new here?" question.

I think the Italian ASL group is onto something well worth watching here, however.

Good job, and keep up the good work, Sebastiano!!! PS I think I owe you a bit of my time, still.

KRL, jon H

(and yes, you can pitch in and help without being tied into the facebook collective.... :) )

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Perhaps regular updates could be posted here for those who don't use Facebook? It would be greatly appreciated!
Yes we will post news also here.

Yes, is there a normal web site for those that don't use Facebook?
We started website in advancingfire.com but we will post updates here and on FB.

Nice subject, a bit hard to be realized, a deep reaserch should be done on orders of battle for both Axis and Allies, on Malta's terrain/defenses and on Axis plans for invasion (and on Allied defense plans too). Any suggestion for best sources?

Jon you are too good with us! :)

See you soon with some more details.

Advancing Fire Team

Last edited:

Paolo Cariolato

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Here

The historical research behind this module is astonishing, starting from contemporary military maps, contemporary pictures, books and diaries. Units positions and compositions. You will re-fight those bloody days in May 1941 on 1:1 scale. Squad for squad and tank for tank.
It will be epic in scope and refreshing from an ASL point of view.
Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes we will post news also here.

We started website in advancingfire.com but we will post updates here and on FB.

Nice subject, a bit hard to be realized, a deep reaserch should be done on orders of battle for both Axis and Allies, on Malta's terrain/defenses and on Axis plans for invasion (and on Allied defense plans too). Any suggestion for best sources?

Jon you are too good with us! :)

See you soon with some more details.

Advancing Fire Team
Air Assault on Crete from AH included an invasion of Malta Game and the Invasion of Malta was part of Conquest of the Aegean from Matrix. I don't remember if AAoC had a bibliography but it might. There is information about Operation Herkules available. Some information would probably have to extrapolate from the plans but I think it would be doable.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What does "column P" mean on the scenario card? Do you mean "hexrow P"? "Column" in ASL means E11.5. See Index.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yes, see them now. It would be great if you used some type of artwork for the scenario card layout (similar to BFP, LFT or CH does). Just my 2 cents/opinion. Other than that looks great.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, see them now. It would be great if you used some type of artwork for the scenario card layout (similar to BFP, LFT or CH does). Just my 2 cents/opinion. Other than that looks great.
My guess on the artwork is it will come, being inserted once OB's are past initial playtesting struggles and looking fairly solid.