Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Skimmed through my grandpa-in-law's scrapbook from 52nd Armored Infantry Battalion, 9th Armored Division, which we had located yesterday. Lots of interesting stuff.

He apparently was wounded in February or March, 1945, and was in a photo in the Saturday Evening Post, looking much less clean-shaven than when he left Fort Hood.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Skimmed through my grandpa-in-law's scrapbook from 52nd Armored Infantry Battalion, 9th Armored Division, which we had located yesterday. Lots of interesting stuff.

He apparently was wounded in February or March, 1945, and was in a photo in the Saturday Evening Post, looking much less clean-shaven than when he left Fort Hood.
Interestingly enough I just did a little background history research for a friend of mine who's dad had recently died and had been a member of the 9th AD. Here's some additional tidbits to add to your story:

"The third combat command, CCR, commanded by Col. Joseph Gilbreth, Columbus, Ga., perhaps had the roughest assignment of any outfit in the Ardennes. It was CCR that stood and slugged it out against the overwhelming might of the German panzers smashing toward Bastogne. Had it not been for CCR, Nazis would have taken the town before the 101st Airborne Div. arrived there to make its historic stand.

The small CCR task forces of tanks from the 2nd Tank Bn and doughs of the 52nd Armd Inf Bn took up positions along the roads leading to Bastogne from the east. Their mission was to block the roads at all costs. They clung to their positions even when surrounded. Masses of German tanks rolled around them; enemy infantry infiltrated in the darkness....
Although casualties were heavy and all three of its battalion commanders lost, CCR was officially credited with delaying the enemy for 36 to 48 hours east of Bastogne. When its surviving forces fell back into Bastogne, CCR was assigned to maintain a mobile reserve known as Task Force Snafu.
TF Snafu became a potent force in the ensuing battles. Organized chiefly as a trouble-shooter for the 101st, this unit operated on a 10-minute alert and sped to threatened areas as needed. Bolstered by armor, it proved to be an ace in the hole. CCR would receive The Presidential Unit Citation for its action at Bastogne."

If the family would like the Medal/Ribbon for the Presidential Unit Citation (as it probably wasn't awarded to the members prior to their discharge in many instances), have them/you go to the local VSO (Veterans Service Officer) office in your county, pick up a SF180 (standard form 180) and mail it to the records center requesting the item and certificate of award. This can be done with the assistance of the VSO or usually any veterans organization. Happy hunting!:nod:

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! He did not reach the ETO until January, 1945, I believe, so would that still apply in his case?

Remagen was the battle that he most identified with, although he was a bit south at Sinzig at the capture moment....

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! He did not reach the ETO until January, 1945, I believe, so would that still apply in his case?

Remagen was the battle that he most identified with, although he was a bit south at Sinzig at the capture moment....
Yes it would still apply as more than likely it was awarded while he was in the unit even though not for an action he was personally involved in-gets a little dicey though, but best guess is yes. Check out their action at Limburg (SP?) Germany, March of '45, quite a fight to relieve another ambushed & trapped Bn during the breakout from the Remagen bridgehead. Hard chargers those 52nd Bn guys!

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes it would still apply as more than likely it was awarded while he was in the unit even though not for an action he was personally involved in-gets a little dicey though, but best guess is yes. Check out their action at Limburg (SP?) Germany, March of '45, quite a fight to relieve another ambushed & trapped Bn during the breakout from the Remagen bridgehead. Hard chargers those 52nd Bn guys!
Indeed! I've designed a scenario about Limburg, but that one is not published yet....

One about Sinzig is published (DB129), and one about Wethen is forthcoming.... All three involved Charley company.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have life-cycle replacing decades old scenario binders with new binders and printing cardstock labels for them, I also have been upgrading Plano's and organizing AFV's in them in Chapter H order which, will be followed by updated spreadsheet inserts. Next up, will be organization of the larger HASL's.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
1536273959860.jpg
We went to what we thought is the very last turn to this epic CG with the Americans barely hanging on to the last building and the Germans crowding in.

Roll 4 or lower to end it all

... and we rolled another turn

The Germans grinned.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Today I spoke to Chris, who had received the first 200 copies of Death To Fascism from the printer in Switzerland! He was super happy about the quality......and shipping tomorrow to get us all set up for our ASLOK launch. Chris will hopefully ship another big assignment to Le Franc Tireur within the next two weeks!

It has been two years of hard work coming to an end....very excited.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
get in Quigley now!
I tried, really I did, but I don't know for the life of me what that means.

On another note, I'm about a turn and half into Armored Samurai. I haven't been able to get a face-to-face game in about a month and a half, so I finally broke out Bounding Fire's Blood and Jungle for some solitaire play. With the long lay-off, I'm having to consult the rulebook for just about every aspect of the game, but I'm having fun and getting some rules practice. Can't wait to finally sit down across the table from a human again, though.B&J.jpg

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I tried, really I did, but I don't know for the life of me what that means.

On another note, I'm about a turn and half into Armored Samurai. I haven't been able to get a face-to-face game in about a month and a half, so I finally broke out Bounding Fire's Blood and Jungle for some solitaire play. With the long lay-off, I'm having to consult the rulebook for just about every aspect of the game, but I'm having fun and getting some rules practice. Can't wait to finally sit down across the table from a human again, though.View attachment 5650
The "Quigley Special" at OCS?

I am getting my butt royally kicked at "Armored Samurai" at the moment ..

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Chinese early IFT rolls were dreadful for me, so didn't do much to hurt the Japanese in the first two turns. Japanese sniper DM'ed a gun crew, as well. Not looking good for the home team right now.
I did have a fun moment when my escaped Chinese prisoners ran back to one of the Guns, manned it, swung it around and fired at one of the IJA AFVs with a malf'd CMG.

The prisoners f'd up the gun in their excitement though .. would have been seriously wicked if we hit that wagon.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What you have erased those memories...

A cool and refreshing dip after what had been a hot run.

Otherwise, ain't nuthin' to it but to do it.

I should add that the mental stress and duress applied was much more strenuous than the physical. The physical strain just reaches a point where you know that it can't get any worse, it isn't going to kill you, and you don't have a choice, so you just press on.

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Today and yesterday I spent a few hours working on the Player Aids for the Death To Fascism Pack. I am almost done.....

These simple sheets for recording HIP and other scenario stuff will be available as free downloads through Le Franc Tireur. We will also hand them out at ASLOK and through any ASL tournaments which feature DTF scenarios.

If anyone knows a way to make available PDF files through this GS site, I would be grateful to find out.