Any chance a 3rd Ed. ASLRB will be published?

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Considering how HASL rules (or any product for that matter) tend to fluctuate during the development process, I am not sure adding in future stuff would be a wise choice.
As I said, it would only be HASL rules that had already been established in a previous HASL, and a product in the pipeline intended to use them.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
As I said, it would only be HASL rules that had already been established in a previous HASL, and a product in the pipeline intended to use them.
But even a HASL in the pipeline intended to use them, might require alterations of them during development.

Anyway, I don't forsee any HASL terrain rules ending up in Chapter B unless the intention is that those terrain will turn up on geo-boards.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
my only question about a eASLRB, be it subscription or not, is can I print the pages at home? I don't like reading the rule book on a screen so if I could print it that's ok also, especially if I can change the font and size to one I want.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Funny; I do not see a need for a printed third edition. The second edition was required because that was the only way to reprint it. After we have an official eASLRB, I am good.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there a list somewhere of the different HASL unique terrain types? Hakkaa Paalle is far newer than RB but it added a new terrain type.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
MBT = Main Battle Tank
MTB = Motor Torpedo Boat

The Soviets sort of combined both by using tank turrets (T-34, T-28) on some of their riverine patrol craft. They did the same with trains.
Didn't the North Koreans mount some T34-85 turrets on patrol boats, as well? I seem to recall them sinking a South Korean vessel back in the '00s during a border clash, but for the life of me I can't find any online references to support that memory...

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Is there a list somewhere of the different HASL unique terrain types? Hakkaa Paalle is far newer than RB but it added a new terrain type.
The difference is that Hakkaa Päälle! is a core module, not an HASL, so new rules there are folded into the ASLRB. Some HASL features have made it on to geomorphic maps and are thus also found in the rule book.

ReggieRed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since we're on the subject of eASLRB, I would love to see a "filterable" version of the rules. There was a filterable version of an ASOP floating around where you could select the rules that were in play and it would only show the applicable steps in the ASOP. Something like that for the entire rulebook would be incredible, and a great way to introduce new players (or players going from ASLSK to full ASL). Playing a simple infantry only scenario with basic terrain? Click on the appropriate rules and you are left with a much smaller rules set to manage. Not saying it would be easy to do...just saying it would be awesome!

csiemers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For me to buy another Rule Book (either printed or electronic) it must contain all rules from all current modules. So all desert, pacific, and HASL rules should be included with their respective corrections.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I see it as perfectly reasonable for any new editions of the rulebook to contain just the core rules not entirely different from what the 2nd ed pocket rules is now. Then the HASL rules to come separately in later prints of these HASLs or downloadable updates, as need dictates.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I see it as perfectly reasonable for any new editions of the rulebook to contain just the core rules not entirely different from what the 2nd ed pocket rules is now. Then the HASL rules to come separately in later prints of these HASLs or downloadable updates, as need dictates.
Yes, I don't see that any HASL rules will be included in a printed 3rd Edition rulebook.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If there were an eASLRB some day, I would really like it to contain the integrity of chapter H and to be updated continuously with the new errata - even having to pay for the updates.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If there were an eASLRB some day, I would really like it to contain the integrity of chapter H and to be updated continuously with the new errata - even having to pay for the updates.
Even with an eASLRB, I'm not sure there would be higher frequency of official errata. The current pace is not tied to the rules being in a paper format.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I don't think there would really be a need for frequent errata. Just making the official errata available in it without one having to chase for them and cut-and-paste things into the rulebook would already be a plus.

Currently, my natural source for rules when playing (which, for me, mostly happens on VASL) is my unofficial e-rulebook - which I know is not up to date. I don't double-check things, so unless my opponent is using a more current version, I tend to play by obsolete rules. If the easier to use rulebook was naturally the most up to date, it would be a plus - and, depending on how such an official e-rulebook were distributed, this should be very easy to do.