Any chance a 3rd Ed. ASLRB will be published?

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
"I don't want this to turn into a long, drawn out thread...."

Hmmm... =)

We ASLers just can't help ourselves! LOL!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lots of HASL terrain is one off.
Do we want rukes for a cog wheel railway or tennis courts clogging up Chapter B?
Slopes and debris I can agree with. Maybe irrigation ditches, at a pinch.
The culvert and rail road underpass, while relatively common terrain features don't need to be there.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...Barbed Wire is WAY overdone (as Robin said-too heavy)...
Out of curiosity - what is WAY overdone with the Barbed Wire fences rules?

They are only half-a-page (or something like that) and five paragraphs. Take away the Temporary Breach rule (which I've never seen anyone use), they look pretty straight forward to me, ymmv.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
"I don't want this to turn into a long, drawn out thread...."

Hmmm... =)

We ASLers just can't help ourselves! LOL!
Once a thread is started, the OP has no control on its development.
How short would you have dreamed it would be?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
That's one I would like to see as well, since the official rules as they stand leave such a hole in a defensive setup. But then, that would really change the way (part of) the game plays, not just include more stuff into the game.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
There's no need to include HASL terrain rules in the RB, which only has to cover terrain featured on the standard maps.

Rules introduced by TPP can be considered, but only after a serious multi-criteria assessment. BFP-related ATD amendments can be considered for instance. That said, i don't see many eligible (if any).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Do we want rukes for a cog wheel railway or tennis courts clogging up Chapter B?
There's a tennis court at Kohima too. Given that they are spread across all theaters, I'm surprised the need hasn't been see sooner. Tennis courts now!

Perhaps if tennis rules were added, we could have peacetime scenarios too: "The Battle of the Baselines," "Lob One Over," "Break Point."

JR

Last edited:

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to see HASL terrain rules that are part of more than one HASL included in the standard rules. At the time of the pre-order posting of the 3rd edition rulebook, MMP could include HASLs in the pipeline as part of this criterion. I think there's a benefit to having a single place to go for a rule.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
There's a tennis court at Kohima too. Given that they are spread across all theaters, I'm surprised the need hasn't been see sooner. Tennis courts now!

JR
FB just treated those as Open Ground. Though I suppose you could SSR them as un-barbed wire obstacles. I have a vague memory that part of the rationale for PB FP doubling was the use of grenades, so maybe treat PBfrom a Tennis Court as spraying fire into both the shooter's and target hex due to return grenade serves?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...At the time of the pre-order posting of the 3rd edition rulebook, MMP could include HASLs in the pipeline as part of this criterion. ...
Considering how HASL rules (or any product for that matter) tend to fluctuate during the development process, I am not sure adding in future stuff would be a wise choice.

But then again, I think HASL terrain rules should be in the HASL Chapter - not Chapter B. :)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Perhaps if tennis rules were added, we could have peacetime scenarios too: "The Battle of the Baselines," "Lob One Over," "Break Point."
As the guy who had to draw that tennis court, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that tennis court dimensions haven't changed much at all over the years. Happily, a standard court is 24x11m, which fits nicely into a hex. Even two of them side-by-side, which was definitely needed on the Manila map.

Course, I can't verify that the court in question was indeed standard sized. Situated as it was near the Officer's Club, I'd guess probably so, but ya never know. Kohima was about as far away from England as one can get, and perhaps The Empire's Best got a little... lax... with their adherance to regs.