Any chance a 3rd Ed. ASLRB will be published?

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
I don't want this to turn into a long, drawn out thread. I hear rumor that MMP is working on an eASLRB. It was super-great in 2000 when MMP printed the 2nd ed. ASLRB 15 years later, with errata, etc. Now that it's been 18 years, is there any chance a 3rd ed. paper ASLRB is in the works--with incorporated errata, updated pages from out-of-print modules, and whatever?

I think the Pocket ASLRB comes close, but still lots of errata and pages out there. I'm not a fan of an eASLRB (or other "reference" eBooks) 'cause you cannot flip around to what you want quickly enough. The Pocket ASLRB is really cool but I'd like a full size ASLRB (or two!)

Anyway...just wondering. I couldn't find any recent thread talking about such, so pardon me if I've missed an obvious answer somewhere.

Thanks MMP! Keep up the good, er, GREAT work!

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
I'd love to see either, although TBH, I can't imagine it's the best use of their limited resources to produce a 3rd edition. The 1st edition was something of an experiment, so it's to be expected that there would be a lot of things that needed to be changed, and so the difference between the 1st and 2nd editions would be much greater than the 2nd and 3rd...? Ultimately, they need to make money to stay in business, and they'd probably be better off producing, say, a new HASL, than an update of something they already have.

WRT, an electronic RB, I'd definitely like to see that. I remember reading something somewhere saying that they were looking for a new developer, which was not a good thing to be doing mid-project, which indicates that they've already started on it. IIRC, that was a few years ago, so who knows what the state of that project is today :rolleyes: I've built my own eASLRB, with a search engine, so jumping around isn't a problem, you just click on a search result and it takes you to that spot in the RB - it's an amazing learning tool :)

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have put a lot of effort into an eASLRB, and we hope to put out a first-steps version before too long.

We do want to do a 3rd edition, and preliminary steps have been taken, but this will not be anytime right away.

ETA on both is unknown, but expect the eASLRB first.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'd love a third edition rulebook, I'd buy both the full size and the pocket versions
an eASLrulebook I'm not so sure about but only because I'm a luddite:D

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the response, Perry. So...next month? LOL! At least y'all are considering a 3rd ed. Yea! ...and yes, I'll end up buying several of each 'cause that's what "we" do!

P.S. I realized my Pocket rulebook was first out the door (back when) and is missing Chapter J. Not a big deal...what? Yes it is! ...so I just placed an order for a "current" version. Ha! =)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would love to see chapter B updated with all the different terrain from the HASLs.
That would not be very useful, if the terrains are specific to a given HASL and don't appear on geoboards.
We have been preserved from slopes being included on geoboards, for an example, which is IMO a very good thing.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A third edition rulebook would be an instant purchase for me.
An eASLRB too - which I would like to have an automatic update system, integrating new errata - and if it included all chapter H data (not only the BV German and Russian gear), it would be all the better.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Another interim effort to look forward to is the revision/update of Chapter E.

The ASLRB is a living document that has begun to enter middle age. Hopefully it will hold up in middle age the way Nolan Ryan did.

Sandaholm

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
That would not be very useful, if the terrains are specific to a given HASL and don't appear on geoboards.
We have been preserved from slopes being included on geoboards, for an example, which is IMO a very good thing.
But then geoboards could start including them. You know, thing like fences

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Fences are a pain, because their rules are much too heavy for what they represent. It is no surprise that they haven't reappeared in other HASL than the KGP modules. Quite like Panjis - which do appear among non HASL terrain, though.
I would plead that, if new terrains appeared on geoboards, the rules should be as short and simple as possible.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...It is no surprise that they haven't reappeared in other HASL than the KGP modules....
Pegasus Bridge has them as well.

My guess would be that the other HASL lacks them primarily because there weren't enough of them (on Tarawa, in Stalingrad, etc.) to affect the fighting.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I want to get ahead of the game here: when will the fourth edition rulebook be released with the fixes for the third edition?
2036 would be my guess.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Even if the terrain types that originated with HASL are not included in geoboards, I'd be in favor of them entering the rulebook - that way, TPPs can use them without formally making these HASL modules prerequisites. As long as these rules don't "spread" to other terrain types, that would not add any complexity to games played on boards that don't include them, while making the whole rule system better.

(There are slopes in BFP's geoboards, and IIRC there are some terrain rules that are imported from RB or VotG into KGS - I'm sure there are other examples lying around)

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even if the terrain types that originated with HASL are not included in geoboards, I'd be in favor of them entering the rulebook - that way, TPPs can use them without formally making these HASL modules prerequisites. As long as these rules don't "spread" to other terrain types, that would not add any complexity to games played on boards that don't include them, while making the whole rule system better.

(There are slopes in BFP's geoboards, and IIRC there are some terrain rules that are imported from RB or VotG into KGS - I'm sure there are other examples lying around)
Perhaps also those rules that have been added by some of the TTPs could be added to the canon and find their way into the rule book. (With their permission, of course.)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree somewhat with Robin here that at least some of the HASL terrain types are simply too much for the standard geo-board scenarios, or at least to be used in a wealth of geo-scenarios. Barbed Wire is WAY overdone (as Robin said-too heavy) and the half orchard is just plain stupid as an ASL adaptation, but certain ones like RB/ABTF type cellars (call them full cellars or something to that effect), drainage ditches, slopes (if used lightly or even moderately on a board) may enhance a scenario/board usage in much the same vein as narrow village streets or steeples have, and have been brought forward into the Chapter B. Having said as much, I really like Philippe's idea of including them anyway, if for no other reason that they may be officially recognized and presented as a base rule that would be available for those rare instances where they are presented in a scenario and currently require a lengthy SSR to explain their effects.