Spreading Blaze 2018 - Atlanta ASL Tourney - Aug 3rd - 5th 2018

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Spreading Blaze, the Atlanta ASL Tourney is once again returning to the Hilton Garden Inn in Duluth GA the first weekend in August 2018. The game room will open on Thursday 8/2 at 2pm for Open Gaming and the tourney will begin on Friday at 8am and run thru Sunday afternoon.

2017 saw attendance break the 20 mark and with your participation we can improve upon that number in 2018. The tourney format will likely be a single elimination format with additional 8 person mini tourneys beginning on Saturday for folks that have been eliminated from the main event.

blaze2018.png

The registration fee is $40 before July 15th with a special discounted early admission of $30 for those who register by March 31st. Payment can be made by PayPal (friend option - email below). The Hilton Garden Inn is a very nice property and we have a block of rooms available for $97 per night. There are also several other hotels chains in the immediate area.

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions you might have.

Gary Bartlett
gary.a.bartlett @ gmail.com

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Squad Leader Enthusiasts

We are about 4 months out from the 2018 Spreading Blaze tourney which is located Northeast of Atlanta in Duluth Ga. The tourney is held at the Hilton Garden Inn the first weekend in August. We will have open gaming beginning at 2pm on Thursday August 2nd and the tourney will start on Friday morning August 3rd running thru the weekend. As noted above we have a room block at the hotel available for $97 per night.

The tourney will consist of a single elimination main event as well as a couple of 8 person mini tourneys. We welcome all skill levels of players who want to share in the comradeship of a weekend of ASL.

Please don't hesitate to send me a personal message if you have questions about the event.

Gary Bartlett
gary.a.bartlett @ gmail.com

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I booked my room and the hotel says that the group available rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn are running low. Also, be sure to say "Atlanta ASL Tourney" when booking, not "Spreading Blaze."

Ray

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Folks -

Just a reminder that we are just over 5 shorts weeks away from dropping dice at the 2018 Atlanta ASL Tourney - known as Spreading Blaze.

Open gaming begins on Thursday afternoon August 2nd at 2pm with the official start of the tourney at 8am Friday morning.

This year we are returning for our 3rd straight year to the Hilton Garden Inn. Rooms are available for $97 per night if you mention the ASL Tourney.

Hilton Garden Inn
2040 Sugarloaf Circle
Duluth GA 30097
770-495-7600

Tourney fee is $40.00 via PayPal.

Last year we had 22 ASL enthusiasts and we are hoping to increase that number this year.

If you have any questions please feel free to drop me a message,

Looking forward to seeing folks in Atlanta in August.

Gary

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is the scenario list and current list of confirmed attendees for Spreading Blaze 2018. We still have room for additional players if you are interested in some ASL action the first weekend in August.

Confirmed Attendees

Jim Holt
Mike Rickman
Tim Deane
John Dober
Eric Shipley
Steve Dedier
Dave Stephens
Mike Rodgers
Mike McGrath
Dave Reenstra
Ed Fritz
Ed Fritz Jr.
Ray Woloszyn
Bill Pilon
Mark Pundin
Jeff Waldon
Brian Abela
Brent Crawford

We are hopeful to get the number up to 24 before the first dice begin to fall on August 3rd.

The scenario list for the Main Event and two 8 person Mini Events are attached.

In addition, we will also have a couple of other options available for competitive gaming. First is a 4 person - 2 round Historical Mini featuring some custom made enlarged maps with OOB information included. The following scenario's are included in this historical mini.

DBOT3 - Bloody Tired
From Tom Morin, this five and one half turn scenario features British infantry and armor (including a Wasp) attacking Germans on the Rees map.

Ram2 - Patrol at Wanetchaung
On a section of the Roadblock at Mithwephok map, this is a six turn scenario by Jim Burris is set in Burma in March '42 with British attacking the Japanese.

FB10 - Return of the Black Company
A five and one half turn scenario in SW Budapest by Bill Cirillo with variable force selection and victory conditions.

VotG15 - Perfected in Battle
A six turn scenario by Tom Morin in Central Stalingrad with 1st and 2nd line Germans defending against an elite Russian force.

BFP49 - Just a Drive Along the Beach
This six and one half turn scenario by Chas Smith from Blood and Jungle takes place on a subset of the Tarawa historical map and features the elements of the 2nd Marine division attacking Japanese defenders.

The second additional option is a single round 3 player game of FB14 - At the Narrow Passage. For those that have not played this one - it is a lot of fun but plays a bit long. Perhaps best for some of us old timers that might only be interested in a single scenario on Saturday.

In addition to prizes for the main event and mini's, we will have a small prize available for the winner of both the 4 person historical mini and the 3 person game.

Attachments

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Darn, wish I could be there this year. The other book keeper having eye surgery so keeps
me here in Savannah for work .. arrggghh!! Great looking scenario list too.
cheers to all you Berserkers!!
Pierce

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I will be in the game room as soon as it opens on Thursday. Someone else please show up for a game. :)

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike

I am picking up John Dober and Mike McGrath at the Atlanta airport on my way into the tourney on Thursday AM -- in addition I think we will have a few others there on Thursday afternoon looking for a game. So it should not be an issue getting a game in.

Gary

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Dave Stephens and I are coming in Thursday afternoon (with wives in tow) although I have not confirmed yet that with Dave.

Mark Pandori

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To Whom it May Concern,

I attended the Spreading Blaze Event from August 3-5 in Duluth/Atlanta. It fortunately coincided with a short work-related meeting I had as well in the area, which was great.
There is a continuing theme I've noticed as I tour the various local tourneys this year: (SoCal, Texas and Atlanta so far) All three have been populated with some of the friendliest and most sporting gamers
I've encountered.
Gary Bartlett (GB) and Brent Crawford (BC) put on an excellent event. There was a main tournament, along with a few minis, which is the best format for all for obvious reasons, in my opinion.
Lots of prizes available in a raffle event, including a copy of Hatten in Flames donated by MMP.

The venue fit the number of attendees very well (I think, 24 people?), and was a pretty swank establishment given the relatively low cost of the rooms. There is a good tavern next door
that serves great food, and a family Italian restaurant that is ok. And of course, a Chik-Fil-A , which I am finding is among the most popular of eating establishments in the U.S outside
of California. (I think it is sort of like IN-and-OUT burger in California, in terms of its popularity).

My games were excellent in fun, with each of them being razor close. My dice were pretty hot in one game (below) and in another, vs. Ed Fritz Jr. I think poor Ed averaged a nine for the entirety of a 5 turn game....absolute zero temperature dice there for him. But Ed seems to be an officer in the "non-whiner division" of players and kudos to him.

The biggest of the bunch for me was round 2 in a mini ("Crickets in Spring") with Eric Shipley.

I likened the final outcome to the movie "Rollerball" where
at the end of the movie (Turn 7 of our 7 turn game) the board was populated with about 20% of our starting forces in a battlefield strewn with broken men and burning wrecks. It was an 83 to 77 CVP
score, German / Russian (I was Russian). About 16 of those points on each side (thereabouts) were from controlling buildings (which gave 2 CVP per building). So, that's
a decent amount of destruction. The lesson of the story for me, and why the final score wasn't 76 to 77, was a t-34/85 that I left on a road, too close to a MMC who in the advance fire
phase, ran up, and PanzerF'd it for 7 points. Good move, Eric. And thanks for being great company during a 7.5 hour game where I had glowing hot dice against your AFV. I think I rolled a 3 or 4 about twice every player turn. (Eric also, a great sport).

Thanks to GB and BC again for the event. Thanks to Brent Crawford for a close game that came with a re-education on the art and science of shooting at prisoners and their MMC guards.
Thanks to Brian Abela (who went second in the overall event, congratulations!) for a game that came down to the final CC where his 7-0 leader slipped away from the CC
and retained control of the deciding VP building. Thanks to Ed Fritz Jr. for putting up with what must have been an average roll of 9 during a 5 turn game. Great guy, sense of humor, who contributes to the hobby.
And then to Eric Shipley, as noted above. Congratulations to Mike McGrath as the overall tourney winner.
Also good to see Michael Rodgers again, who I met at ASLOK. He is very friendly, and is very helpful.

This year, I went a bit all-out on going to ASL events around the U.S. to see what they were like. Next year I will likely be more narrowly budgeted. It will be very difficult to decide where to go next year
given the quality of all of these events.

Mark Pandori

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Folks -

I posted the following on the ASL Facebook page yesterday, and am posting here for anyone that doesn't subscribe the the FB ASL group.

A total of 25 players participated throughout the weekend, including folks from California and Canada.

Mike McGrath won the main event at 4-0 beating Brian Abela in AP 131 - Crickets in Spring.
Ray Woloszyn had to leave the tourney early due to a family commitment and finished in third with a 3-0 record.

We were fortunate enough to have three 8 person mini tourney’s. The victors in these were Dave Reenstra, Ed Fritz Sr and Derek Ritter. Ed Fritz Jr won the historical mini.

Michael Rodgers and Dave Kocat won the Honorable Mention award for having the best record without finishing first in the other events.

I want to thank all of the players for making the trip to Duluth Ga for the tourney. It was great to spend time with both old and new friends. Special thanks to Brent Crawford for all of his work on the tourney as well.

I also want to thank all the sponsors that provided gifts for the winners and the raffle.

The Gamers Armory
BattleSchool Dice
MMP
Bounding Fire Productions
Lone Canuck Publishing
RitterKrieg
Le Franc Tieure
Schwerepunkt
St Louis ASL

What a great time to be part of this fine hobby. With tourneys in Gettysburg and St Louis the past two weeks and the Tussle coming up next week, there is no shortage of opportunity to get some FTF play in.

I encourage any and all players to make the trip up to Manchester next week for the Tussle to enjoy the camaraderie of our hobby.

Gary Bartlett

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Gary and Brent did an outstanding job with Spreading Blaze. Great attendees, camaraderie, close games, awesome venue, and yes -- Chick-fil-A and the Arena Tavern next door. I had a middling won-loss record, but the experience was a 4.0. Great games against Dave Kocat from California, Atlanta locals Dave Reenstra and Steve Dedier, and two games against Ed Fritz, Sr. Can't wait for next year. Nice to see some friends from NC, SC, and TN make the trip, as well.