So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AH5 Take Two (with errata). My friend and I would have to watch an experienced amphibious assault player to really get a feel for this scenario (and AH3 for that matter). In both games, the marines just had a very hard time landing. Playing as the Japanese, I set up on shoreline and watched as the marines struggled to make headway. Crossing the causeway was difficult for the marines as well. Lots of questions during play but we think we figured out most. One hassle was when I had two caves in the same hex as a pillbox. That huge stack tumbled over constantly. In the end, though, we had fun. We finally tried the last major experience we had never done in ASL before so it was worth it. Still, I'd love to see a series replay article on this one or AH3 just to see how it's really done.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One hassle was when I had two caves in the same hex as a pillbox. That huge stack tumbled over constantly.
The traditional solution to such a problem is to move some/all of the counters to another hex as an "exploded" view. When you have a lot of empty water hexes this should be pretty easy.

JR

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The traditional solution to such a problem is to move some/all of the counters to another hex as an "exploded" view. When you have a lot of empty water hexes this should be pretty easy.

JR
Interesting solution. We might have to try that sometime.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We do that too, but usually on a sheet of notebook paper, labeled with the right hex and or level.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I'm going to set this up and play it. Al played this against Tom K. and Al says it is very pro North Korean. When 2 good players are diametrically opposed about the balance of a scenario that always peaks my interest :)

I HATE the way the VC is written. Why say "The NK exit VP is *reduced* by 2 for every multi-hex building controlled by the Americans"? I think stating it is *increased* makes far more sense. Until I saw this thread I would have played it that NK had to exit less if they did not control the buildings--even though that does not make much sense.......... This is a prime example of a poorly worded VC IMHO.

Also, if I'm reading this right (and apparently my reading comprehension is poor) the NK can choose to hold off 13 squads and all 4 T-34s and enter them on Turn 3 if they so choose anywhere along east or west edge. This means the USA must guard the corner hexrow on both sides of board i. Otherwise the NK can make their brief 1 hex appearance and then exit the bulk of their forces. Add in the the SSR4 squads and there is your exit VP with some to spare.

I'm not sure about this one but what the hell, I'll be playing ASL!
It is certainly a backward worded VC-confusing as all get out in a first read.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KGP3 Panthers in the Mist My regular ASL opponent and I both found ourselves staying in town for the 4th this year so we decided to start digging into some KGP this weekend which neither of us had played. I took the SS. If you've never played this, the Americans can stagger entry offboard over 3 turns but the entire German OB can setup HIP in concealment terrain. The US objectives is to either hold two VC building on opposite ends of the map at game end or get 27VP off an 8 hex line on the southern edge My opponent likes to schwerpunkt and overwhelm which he does to good effect with US advancing firepower so I gambled and set up heavy on the right hand side expecting him to rush all infantry through in his way to take the first VC building and on to attempt the exit VC. I had the 9-1 and a 658 w/ the MMG in the VC building with another 658 w/ a LMG in an adjacent trench line that allowed retreating to cover the wood/pine lane running on the right flank plus I had a half squad in one of those lane hexes too. I had a Panther back clogging the lane through the woods on that side and the 81mm MTR in orchards next to him covering the woods in front of the VC building. Protecting the Panther was a HS with a shrek hipped in the Panthers hex. I had another squad with a LMG ready to put a firelane down in front of that same woods cluster. On the left I have the other Panther behind the roadblock blocking the paved road, and the 9-2 and a squad with the HMG covering the left flank. Had a token squad in the back VC building and half squad covering that road after the ford hoping for a lucky faust.

The Americans get a lot of stuff including 8 AFVs which are a combo of M4 Shermans and Stuarts, a couple of halftracks, 50cals, and a lot of infantry and leaders As I predicted, Rob slammed into my right flank with all of his infantry coming in Turn 1 headed by halfsquad scouts. My units in the VC building and adjacent trench revealed pinning and breaking some of the bird dogging HS. He got units up to the treeline first Turn so I revealed the 81 which broke a HS. He brought a few tanks in to cover his infantry but kept them back so the Panther stayed hidden.

On Turn 2 my units in the VC building got hit with WP in Prep from a Sherman hurting their fire coming out of the hex and the 81 couldn't hit or maintain rate which allowed US squads to get get adjacent for CC. My trench squad had broken during US Prep and American squads started flanking me on my right running into my HS who just managed a pin. The Panther came out but missed a Stuart. The only remaining HIP unit I had on that side of the board was the HS w/ the shrek. As predicted, Rob advanced into CC but he brought all HS.

I managed to survive CC killing a HS. Rob pumped another squad in there but I survived killing two more HS before I was finally taken out. My 81 couldn't do anything and was about to be overrun so I had the crew abandon it to help cover the flank. Rob tried to flank my Panther with a Sherman but it got toasted by the shrek. The shrek got a Suart too and the Panther took out another Sherman before it ultimately fell to a rear bazooka shot. I finally got defeated in melee and lost my HS covering the right flank lane to boxes on a FPF shot (morale 8 units against 6s after all). Rob had brought in his remaining vehicles on the paved road going right passed my other Panther to reinforce his attack. He then started turning those vehicles around with the idea of going through the ford on the left flank. I had broken down the HMG and the 9-2 started hoofing it across map to reinforce the exit VC. The Panther waited for the parade to go by again and took out a Sherman. It then relocated down the paved lane (his ass was against the roadblock) to cut off the wagon train. I didn't think they'd quite make the exit VC but I was worried about US crews abandoning vehicles to take the left flank VC building where I only had one squad. I had gotten my reinforcement sending the infantry to defend exit and the IVJ to reinforce the Panther on the left.

During these middle turns the rain started and mist increased to its highest level. Despite Rob losing vehicles, I had only managed to kill around 2 squads (most in CC in the first VC building) but no leaders. I bagged another Stuart and a Sherman on the left but the halftracks broke through heading for the exit rolling by adjacent PF shots that just happened to be missing by 1 thanks to the mist LV. I had only 2 squads holding the steamrolling US troops in the pines towards the exit hexes but I was getting the 9-2 and heavy into position to help cover when I made the mistake that cost me the game. Rob had funneled all that infantry into the lower left hand corner of the map where it's only 4-5 wood/pine hexes across. It was perfect terrain and situation to deploy and clog, even if they had to break and rout back to clog exit hexes with DM'd bodies. But I didn't. I ended up gambling on pointblank FP against brittle US moral. It didn't pay off. I rolled high and Rob got a streak of low rolls where I couldn't even manage a pin. He marched 27VP off in infantry and I couldn't do anything about it. Face palm ...right ... about ... now.

That stung. I had read Rob's attack correctly and befuddled him good most of the game only to blow it at the end with a tactical blunder. Still, he's a good tournament player and knows how to finish scenarios well so hats off to him for the victory. Fantastic scenario.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Massacre in Paradise TAC 43 France '40, not so good SS trying to take building against British remnants. In spite of SMOKE from the 81mm, the Brit's did well with a fall back defense, and held the line at 10U5. The outlying stone buildings fell, but the Brits remained intact. There was a late SS break through on both flanks, and then the center, but it was too little, too late.

Nice use for the oddball SS MGs that came with PiF. Good Scenario.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KGP3 Panthers in the Mist My regular ASL opponent and I both found ourselves staying in town for the 4th this year so we decided to start digging into some KGP this weekend which neither of us had played. I took the SS. If you've never played this, the Americans can stagger entry offboard over 3 turns but the entire German OB can setup HIP in concealment terrain. The US objectives is to either hold two VC building on opposite ends of the map at game end or get 27VP off an 8 hex line on the southern edge My opponent likes to schwerpunkt and overwhelm which he does to good effect with US advancing firepower so I gambled and set up heavy on the right hand side expecting him to rush all infantry through in his way to take the first VC building and on to attempt the exit VC. I had the 9-1 and a 658 w/ the MMG in the VC building with another 658 w/ a LMG in an adjacent trench line that allowed retreating to cover the wood/pine lane running on the right flank plus I had a half squad in one of those lane hexes too. I had a Panther back clogging the lane through the woods on that side and the 81mm MTR in orchards next to him covering the woods in front of the VC building. Protecting the Panther was a HS with a shrek hipped in the Panthers hex. I had another squad with a LMG ready to put a firelane down in front of that same woods cluster. On the left I have the other Panther behind the roadblock blocking the paved road, and the 9-2 and a squad with the HMG covering the left flank. Had a token squad in the back VC building and half squad covering that road after the ford hoping for a lucky faust.

The Americans get a lot of stuff including 8 AFVs which are a combo of M4 Shermans and Stuarts, a couple of halftracks, 50cals, and a lot of infantry and leaders As I predicted, Rob slammed into my right flank with all of his infantry coming in Turn 1 headed by halfsquad scouts. My units in the VC building and adjacent trench revealed pinning and breaking some of the bird dogging HS. He got units up to the treeline first Turn so I revealed the 81 which broke a HS. He brought a few tanks in to cover his infantry but kept them back so the Panther stayed hidden.

On Turn 2 my units in the VC building got hit with WP in Prep from a Sherman hurting their fire coming out of the hex and the 81 couldn't hit or maintain rate which allowed US squads to get get adjacent for CC. My trench squad had broken during US Prep and American squads started flanking me on my right running into my HS who just managed a pin. The Panther came out but missed a Stuart. The only remaining HIP unit I had on that side of the board was the HS w/ the shrek. As predicted, Rob advanced into CC but he brought all HS.

I managed to survive CC killing a HS. Rob pumped another squad in there but I survived killing two more HS before I was finally taken out. My 81 couldn't do anything and was about to be overrun so I had the crew abandon it to help cover the flank. Rob tried to flank my Panther with a Sherman but it got toasted by the shrek. The shrek got a Suart too and the Panther took out another Sherman before it ultimately fell to a rear bazooka shot. I finally got defeated in melee and lost my HS covering the right flank lane to boxes on a FPF shot (morale 8 units against 6s after all). Rob had brought in his remaining vehicles on the paved road going right passed my other Panther to reinforce his attack. He then started turning those vehicles around with the idea of going through the ford on the left flank. I had broken down the HMG and the 9-2 started hoofing it across map to reinforce the exit VC. The Panther waited for the parade to go by again and took out a Sherman. It then relocated down the paved lane (his ass was against the roadblock) to cut off the wagon train. I didn't think they'd quite make the exit VC but I was worried about US crews abandoning vehicles to take the left flank VC building where I only had one squad. I had gotten my reinforcement sending the infantry to defend exit and the IVJ to reinforce the Panther on the left.

During these middle turns the rain started and mist increased to its highest level. Despite Rob losing vehicles, I had only managed to kill around 2 squads (most in CC in the first VC building) but no leaders. I bagged another Stuart and a Sherman on the left but the halftracks broke through heading for the exit rolling by adjacent PF shots that just happened to be missing by 1 thanks to the mist LV. I had only 2 squads holding the steamrolling US troops in the pines towards the exit hexes but I was getting the 9-2 and heavy into position to help cover when I made the mistake that cost me the game. Rob had funneled all that infantry into the lower left hand corner of the map where it's only 4-5 wood/pine hexes across. It was perfect terrain and situation to deploy and clog, even if they had to break and rout back to clog exit hexes with DM'd bodies. But I didn't. I ended up gambling on pointblank FP against brittle US moral. It didn't pay off. I rolled high and Rob got a streak of low rolls where I couldn't even manage a pin. He marched 27VP off in infantry and I couldn't do anything about it. Face palm ...right ... about ... now.

That stung. I had read Rob's attack correctly and befuddled him good most of the game only to blow it at the end with a tactical blunder. Still, he's a good tournament player and knows how to finish scenarios well so hats off to him for the victory. Fantastic scenario.
This is a great old classic scenario. I played it against Gary Mei a few years back at the Nor'easter tournament and we had a blast with it. Gary's Germans fell just short of getting it done in a great game.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is a great old classic scenario. I played it against Gary Mei a few years back at the Nor'easter tournament and we had a blast with it. Gary's Germans fell just short of getting it done in a great game.
Totally agree with Carl, this is a great scenario.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yesterday Christian B. and I played SV 5 Lions and Tin Men, a very small infantry scenario set in Norway. I took the outnumbered Scandinavian defenders. Christian had a great start with his 82mm MTR, hindering my MMG with a Smoke Round and then Critically Hitting a squad in a crag, wiping it off the map. He was less fortunate with his reinforcement groups, since he did not get the group with the AFV (2/3 chance that he would), which is almost unstoppable by the Allies. Things got much worse when he entered his first Turn infantry in OG in LOS of my 8-1/squad/LMG combo at long range, who got hammered on a 2 - 3 shot. He then became extremely cautious, hugging the safety of the gully with most of his forces. Unfortunately, this is a scenario where there is just no time for a careful approach for the Germans, they just have to run all over and hope they can crack open the Allied defense. This did not happen at all and by the last German Turn his chances of reaching the VC were purely theoretical. A few shots later and it was all over, Allied win.

I do think this is a fun small infantry scenario on board 24 - however I would much prefer it if the AFV group was always received and the second (infantry) group was a random selection for the Germans.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got my butt kicked left right and sideways in J63 Silesian Interlude!!!
Played this at ASLOK a few years back against Gary Fortenberry. Don't think I had any butt left to kick when he was done with me. Story behind this. I had finished 2nd on the Deluxe mini final against Larry Zoet. Bret talked me into playing in the GROFAZ mini since I was eligible due to my 2nd place finish in the Deluxe mini. Of course I jumped at the opportunity then I saw the line-up: Tracy, Pleva, Bendis, Fortenberry and there were two other zen masters on the list (can't remember their names right off the bat). Anyway, I know they were all looking at my name and were either getting cold chills or more than likely taking bets on how long I would last. Still, had a blast playing Gary and learned a lot.

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
174 Lagus Assault Guns My regular opponent took the wily Finns against my powerful Soviet force. I went for the flanking victory conditions, and was lucky enough to smoke both StuGs despite their being HD. The last half turn was going well until my IS2 failed a 1MP ESB and my SU152 got smoked by a PF. Close and fun game!

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, it was a blast. I'd gladly play it again.

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
I played the Avanti! scenario (FT 152) with my buddy Gerhard two days ago. I was playing the Italian/German force against his defending Soviets. I had the objective to control three buildings with Italians, while having more CVPs.

I advanced aggresively in order to take good positions before his reinfocements arrive (two MG trucks and a small infantry group). Funnily enough, during first three turns all three of my Italian leaders (9-1, 8-1, 7-0) were taken out by his sniper (the 7-0 was not eliminated but left wounded far back as sniper bait - did not help much, he repositioned in order to kill my last remaining leader, the 9-1).

So, the Soviets abandoned positions in order to withdraw to the last building behind the wall, reinforced by two BA-20 trucks. I fired at them with all I had, 3 LMGs, 1 ATR, and 2 MTRs plus one MTR I captured, while advancing with one part of my forces and trying to keep his reinforcements arriving from my right side in check. (The trucks were reduced to wrecks within 2 turns.)

Despite the valiant performance of his one 447 LMG squad, which resisted my heavy firepower for two turns, I managed to enter the building in my last turn with 2 leaderless Italian squads, as well as a German squad, hero and a 8-1 leader. He had the mentioned 447 which retreated into the building, and an 8-0. The close combat that ensued makes for a good story. Due to the 2:1 odds (my 10 FP to his 5, while I fought also with one squad with 3 FP separately, to no avail), I had a 6 or less to roll to achieve a kill in CC, luckily with the 447 being CX (a result of my clever encirclement) and my -2 total for hero and leader I needed a 9 or less. I rolled... a 5+5, casualty reduction. I rolled my eyes, feeling betrayed by the cowardly Italians! (Most of our games end with a CC in the last turn and I almost always lose them :D.) But then:
For random selection, he rolled 5+5. Both the leader and the squad are causalty reduced!
The leader rolls for wounding. He rolls a 5, the leader is eliminated!
So he needs to roll for LLMC - and he rolls a 5+4! The squad is eliminated and I win!

Spectacular ending, isn't it?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gloster Hill ASL 217 ROAR has this as a dog, with many ChiCom wins, none for the British. But, I thought a British win was possible, and we gave it a spin with the British balance. (Add one 4-5-7 squad) The ChiCom attack came up heavy on the east side, to go after the needed hill location, and to engage most of my Brits, who set up close to the bugler, to gain the fanatic status. A Chinese platoon came from the north, to keep me honest. The feeling when playing this as the English is like an avalanche coming at you, but it can be managed. The main Brit defense collapsed on turn two, but fell back, trying for the exit VP. The Chinese force that came in from the rear caused some trouble, but I was able to get around them with the 9-2 and a few squads, falling back on the I1 area, then exiting for the win.
FUN

Can't wait for more KWASL Scenarios/ products.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Made a huge mistake in picking RetroPack#6 Tenaru Meat Grinders to play. My friend and I always go over the next week's scenario before playing it. We both missed the start-up locations for the Americans. He caught the mistake during the week, I didn't. So, I set up thinking everything - two infantry groups and three Stuarts - were attacking from one direction. Turns out one infantry group attacks from the east, the other from the north, and the tanks enter to the west. With their backs to the board edge, the Japanese are totally surrounded. As soon as my friend started setting up his first group, I told him he was setting up wrong. He corrected me. We stopped right there, I scrambled to rearrange my defense, and we started the game. It was a massacre. There was absolutely nowhere for the Japanese to go. I held strong for a few turns - a lot of it due to poor MC rolls by the Americans - but superior firepower whittled and then crushed the hapless Japanese. When the best that you can hope for as the Japanese is to retain concealment so 36FP shots are "only" 16FP - with more FP to spare - that doesn't make for a very fun gaming experience. The Americans needed 22 CVP for the win and my friend easily reached that by turn 5 (of 7). This is one we should have skipped. I should have known something was up when there were no recorded playing of this ancient scenario in ROAR. Now I know why. Absolutely not recommended for the Japanese, but definitely fun for the Americans. Did I mention they have air support and the Japanese suffer from ammunition shortage with no anti tank weapons as well? Harsh...

Last edited:

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
I played the Avanti! scenario (FT 152) - SNIP - Spectacular ending, isn't it?
Ah, what a fool I was in my young years! (a) No LLMC in CC. (b) One broken squad is enough for denial of control. (c) Buildings need to be controlled by good order units, i.e. not in Melee.
Would have made for a good story...

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Made a huge mistake in picking RetroPack#6 Tenaru Meat Grinders to play. My friend and I always go over the next week's scenario before playing it. We both missed the start-up locations for the Americans. He caught the mistake during the week, I didn't. So, I set up thinking everything - two infantry groups and three Stuarts - were attacking from one direction. Turns out one infantry group attacks from the east, the other from the north, and the tanks enter to the west. With their backs to the board edge, the Japanese are totally surrounded. As soon as my friend started setting up his first group, I told him he was setting up wrong. He corrected me. We stopped right there, I scrambled to rearrange my defense, and we started the game. It was a massacre. There was absolutely nowhere for the Japanese to go. I held strong for a few turns - a lot of it due to poor MC rolls by the Americans - but superior firepower whittled and then crushed the hapless Japanese. When the best that you can hope for as the Japanese is to retain concealment so 36FP shots are "only" 16FP - with more FP to spare - that doesn't make for a very fun gaming experience. The Americans needed 22 CVP for the win and my friend easily reached that by turn 5 (of 7). This is one we should have skipped. I should have known something was up when there were no recorded playing of this ancient scenario in ROAR. Now I know why. Absolutely not recommended for the Japanese, but definitely fun for the Americans. Did I mention they have air support and the Japanese suffer from ammunition shortage with no anti tank weapons as well? Harsh...
Not a 100% guarantee, but I try to avoid most scenarios with words like " meat grinder", "slaughter" , "disaster", "debacle "...... etc.....