Face Towards Enemy

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Even if this is a GREAT game, I just don't have the inclination of learning a new system. ASL is hard enough without getting the two rules systems mixed up, which I would. LOL
Even after not playing ASL for a year You could wake me up in the middle of the night and I would be able to start an ASL scenario. You would not forget the ASL rules, because You played it for so many years. And FTE seems to be a light system. So I think it will be easy to learn the rules. By the way, I want to play cosims of other wars like the American Civil War or the battles of the American Revolution. So if You want to play such games (like FTE) You have no choice than to learn something new.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even after not playing ASL for a year You could wake me up in the middle of the night and I would be able to start an ASL scenario. You would not forget the ASL rules, because You played it for so many years. And FTE seems to be a light system. So I think it will be easy to learn the rules. By the way, I want to play cosims of other wars like the American Civil War or the battles of the American Revolution. So if You want to play such games (like FTE) You have no choice than to learn something new.
I'm 61yrs old, my brother 58, we look up minor rules ALL the time and we've been playing since the beginning of ASL. We call it a brainfart and trust me, when you get our age, you'll have them too.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Even after not playing ASL for a year You could wake me up in the middle of the night and I would be able to start an ASL scenario. You would not forget the ASL rules, because You played it for so many years.
Staunch call you are making there.

While you may be right for the basics, your statement won't survive the first contact with the enemy when it comes to the details - which in sum make all the difference in ASL.

von Marwitz

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Guys, don't take me on my word. Of course I have to look up rules all the time too when I'm playing ASL. But I don't want to stop to learn new rules of other cosims, because of playing ASL.

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
I've played ASL/SL since the beginning. trust me take a break for awhile and it's like starting over. The good thing is it comes back pretty quickly

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
I would think it would depend on the similarity of the rules. I don't think anyone would confuse the rules of say The Russian Campaign and Victory in the Pacific with ASL.
I had a hell of a time routing my ships in VitP.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would think it would depend on the similarity of the rules. I don't think anyone would confuse the rules of say The Russian Campaign and Victory in the Pacific with ASL.
That's apples to oranges, totally different systems. FTE doesn't seem that disimiliar to ASL though.

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Any news about FTE?

I'm very interested in the Market Garden operation and I'm thinking about getting MG:MG too. Any opinions about it?

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Rules are going through another proofing session... ;)