macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Well Here Goes – placed in the CH forum to reduce critic
So The Annual is two parts – a Mag with articles and a Game (which I think is just a re-design with new boards of old CH material but I would have to dig up previous Korea games)
The Game::
So MMP released Forgotten War! So that usually means CH alters previous stuff to align for similarity
Definitely the Game here and the following “Pusan Perimeter” Game I also purchased (and could RV if People want) – are a complete set of North Korean Versus Marine and US scenarios (no ROK) involving the key things in the Korean war like the: T34(85) vs ROK with minimal anti-tank weapons; vs US tanks of two types (M4A3 or Pershing) as well as two scenarios of M46’s vs T34; infantry only battles; US or Marines versus large numbers of NKPA’s, tank only battles, Baz vs Tank battles; a few moderate to large and mostly moderate 5-7 turns or small.
You get 10 Scenarios – KOR 1 to 10 (With Pusan Perimeter starting at KOR11) so a re numbering of oldies is likely when I dig out previous products 9There could easily be new scenarios but I am not Mark P and don’t have easy access to that fact
Three Sheets of counters Plus a special
Sheet 1 – US and Marine infantry and SW and extra
Sheet 2 – NKPA Infantry SW and extra
Sheet 3 – NKPA - Lots of T34’s, a few SU’s, 8 Guns,
  • US Tanks, Hts, Trucks Guns and two planes plus extras
The Extra Sheet is a Hero Counter Sheet from the Texas Team Tournament 2017 (every Participant had a hero counter made) plus some extra playing counters like location and individual nationality turn counters for those who asked for them (not me)
The Boards K1 to K5 (With Pusan going K6 to K 10) are a mix of 2 farmlands, 2 hills and one town
Finally a sheet of overlays that are OG that presumably covers up hills and the like in the new board set

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Part TWO
Well The Magazine is like most CH mags of present (Annuals) and Past – Lots of cool articles that touch on history (with accompanying special rules), experiences (with accompanying Pictures) and tactical or playability articles with some interesting hypothetical concepts (with again Rules attached). Of course there are Scenarios (re-treads of Golden Oldies on different boards) and in this case a very nice CG write up by no less than Mr Scott Holst!
I am continuing to be mainly pro-CH for its creative innovation (just don’t have the cash anymore to invest) so this Annual like previous does suit that bill for me of value for money to see something creative! The Mag layout and attention to small details of spelling mistakes (which are present in lots of things I read) will irritate my fellow ASL colleagues but I am bit reflective since my crisis of my GS “1000th post” and pushed on doing this anyway despite the critic I might receive – HEY, we should be more worried that a Afro-American preacher can talk at a royal wedding and leave out “being saved by Jesus Christ” but play up to popular demand and take Love, Love Love – 89 times! – what a missed opportunity that was!
To Begin:
There is the usual “Blurb” any ASL mag has on news and developments etc etc – written in Ray’s usual style (never worried me but it is his personality on paper!) – It is in multiple parts and added to some interesting “blurb” on history like ASL Mannual 98 (humour article) and Gregory Peck was the inspiration around the GI picture on the cover of the box GI Anvil of Victory (SL series)
The Scenarios CHA18 – Cassino Station and CHA19 Hill 112 – I have seen and played a long time ago – they are just re-treads on new “K” boards – For a Newbie, I loved them and will likely play them again – even though new terrain may lend itself to a new feel and potential unbalancing!
For the articles = In Order of what I liked most (not meaning offense in any way)
  • Loved the write-up on Battlewagons by Mark Porterfield – Really a very well written story around how the actual NOBA was much more powerful and what you might expect to happen – Thus we have the 3 pages of history followed by Special Rules of 8 Pages called HNOBA- or Heavy NOBA (a little mistake in those is that the index at the front (1-4) forgets that there is actually rules 1 – 10 and lots of notes – It’s a small thing that our perfectionists will notice.
  • The Ponyri CG by Scott – Really a very nice set of 2xCG’s with good setup tables etc using Platoon Leader rules and a whole set of juicy CG rules in addition – I have not played a CG forever so I can only comment how nice it looks – There is the usual CG card that is separate as expected
  • A really special theoretical look at actually acquiring a target by Harold (Hal) Hock with extra detail on how it actually happens and the effect. The section on now my third read covers the way a target is acquired despite taking into account the size, shadow, environment etc. This is very technical and comes from an article “Steel on Steel”. I think not being an ex-gunner, some of it was too detailed for me. What is nice is the foot note references for say someone like Paul W – really detailed. This is obviously followed by some fantastic work on a special rules section entitled “Optional BOT/ROF rules” – The B in BOT means burst so the rules mean that once you establish a proper acquisition (seems more station target) you use your ROF to make the no of times your roll TK goes up beyond the normal one you have so that “multiple hits” occur – like an extension of the multiple hits from some weapons <40mm – The theory is great and this rule is very nasty!
  • Mike O’Leary has put together a new set of “Solitaire rules” – the only previous set were from that long out of print module – now I don’t play Solitaire but the 3.5 pages seem very complete and a simple system to apply
  • We then have the Picture by Picture Battle Field Tour of Stonne (three was a previous one way back in a CH Mag but this is an update with explanations) by Soren Kierkegaard
  • All the way through the Mag is “Rules Peekers” (In a breakout box) that look at rules around those special CH counters that are used in the different modules Including “Dual MG34”, “Flak Barges”, “The V1 Flying Bomb” and “Revetments”
  • Next I list is the expected detailed 3 page rule addition to the Korean War series from CH that now includes Toktong Pass, Pork Chop Hill, Pusan Perimeter and some previous scenarios in other packs (played one from Paddington Bears (Sydney ASL Group) actually the other day) – Does the usual Terrain stuff, NKPA stuff, additional special rules (that are in the modules) and New Vehicle notes and capabilities chart.
  • The Last article was placed at the bottom because I did find it hard to read – Its important and a nice collection of SSR’s that have been created over the years that designers could use and not re-invent the wheel but it’s very hard to read – just from lack of structure (it is hard to put such a collection together I suppose) and the little personal comments throughout became distracting in the end – I read it twice and felt I needed to read it again and again – but I could see a designer maybe getting into to it more
So in summary a nice set of articles! Followed by some stuff that all mags have and the usual CH innovative titbits. – I liked it overall in the end….

Rob:):)

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
very nice writeup Rob. Never bought a CH annual. Sounds very interesting. I do love the MMP annuals. Not that I have never cared one iota for the scenarios of the month, but do honestly love them for the articles. I have had very few conversations with Tapio, but the few I have had have had me in stitches. One helluva sense of humor and extremely knowledgeable, about the game and history. I imagine articles exploring his warped perspective would be a hoot to read.

and William, if that is the same CG I think it is. Using the Ponyri maps, it is a frickin blast. He sent a copy to my father and we completely enjoyed it.

Speaking of, having followed the MMP Ponyri thread. Curious if CH will revise their maps to take in the new research/information out there and revise them. I do wonder if they will, completely understandable that their maps might have been off, seems MMP's was until this recent information came out, but I'd be surprised if they did based on the Berlin experience my father had and the cold shoulder Tapio gave to the notion that those Berlin maps needed revision for not being scaled correctly. They compressed the hell out of the TL maps east to west, likely to fit the Friedrichstraße on the east edge of those maps.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would not buy it, Ray refused to compensate me giving his usual song and dance excuses, "oh I gave you discounts on stuff"...............for my last submissions! No more CH stuff for me. Anyway enjoy the CG.

Scott

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Part TWO
Well The Magazine is like most CH mags of present (Annuals) and Past – Lots of cool articles that touch on history (with accompanying special rules), experiences (with accompanying Pictures) and tactical or playability articles with some interesting hypothetical concepts (with again Rules attached). Of course there are Scenarios (re-treads of Golden Oldies on different boards) and in this case a very nice CG write up by no less than Mr Scott Holst!
I am continuing to be mainly pro-CH for its creative innovation (just don’t have the cash anymore to invest) so this Annual like previous does suit that bill for me of value for money to see something creative! The Mag layout and attention to small details of spelling mistakes (which are present in lots of things I read) will irritate my fellow ASL colleagues but I am bit reflective since my crisis of my GS “1000th post” and pushed on doing this anyway despite the critic I might receive – HEY, we should be more worried that a Afro-American preacher can talk at a royal wedding and leave out “being saved by Jesus Christ” but play up to popular demand and take Love, Love Love – 89 times! – what a missed opportunity that was!
To Begin:
There is the usual “Blurb” any ASL mag has on news and developments etc etc – written in Ray’s usual style (never worried me but it is his personality on paper!) – It is in multiple parts and added to some interesting “blurb” on history like ASL Mannual 98 (humour article) and Gregory Peck was the inspiration around the GI picture on the cover of the box GI Anvil of Victory (SL series)
The Scenarios CHA18 – Cassino Station and CHA19 Hill 112 – I have seen and played a long time ago – they are just re-treads on new “K” boards – For a Newbie, I loved them and will likely play them again – even though new terrain may lend itself to a new feel and potential unbalancing!
For the articles = In Order of what I liked most (not meaning offense in any way)
  • Loved the write-up on Battlewagons by Mark Porterfield – Really a very well written story around how the actual NOBA was much more powerful and what you might expect to happen – Thus we have the 3 pages of history followed by Special Rules of 8 Pages called HNOBA- or Heavy NOBA (a little mistake in those is that the index at the front (1-4) forgets that there is actually rules 1 – 10 and lots of notes – It’s a small thing that our perfectionists will notice.
  • The Ponyri CG by Scott – Really a very nice set of 2xCG’s with good setup tables etc using Platoon Leader rules and a whole set of juicy CG rules in addition – I have not played a CG forever so I can only comment how nice it looks – There is the usual CG card that is separate as expected
  • A really special theoretical look at actually acquiring a target by Harold (Hal) Hock with extra detail on how it actually happens and the effect. The section on now my third read covers the way a target is acquired despite taking into account the size, shadow, environment etc. This is very technical and comes from an article “Steel on Steel”. I think not being an ex-gunner, some of it was too detailed for me. What is nice is the foot note references for say someone like Paul W – really detailed. This is obviously followed by some fantastic work on a special rules section entitled “Optional BOT/ROF rules” – The B in BOT means burst so the rules mean that once you establish a proper acquisition (seems more station target) you use your ROF to make the no of times your roll TK goes up beyond the normal one you have so that “multiple hits” occur – like an extension of the multiple hits from some weapons <40mm – The theory is great and this rule is very nasty!
  • Mike O’Leary has put together a new set of “Solitaire rules” – the only previous set were from that long out of print module – now I don’t play Solitaire but the 3.5 pages seem very complete and a simple system to apply
  • We then have the Picture by Picture Battle Field Tour of Stonne (three was a previous one way back in a CH Mag but this is an update with explanations) by Soren Kierkegaard
  • All the way through the Mag is “Rules Peekers” (In a breakout box) that look at rules around those special CH counters that are used in the different modules Including “Dual MG34”, “Flak Barges”, “The V1 Flying Bomb” and “Revetments”
  • Next I list is the expected detailed 3 page rule addition to the Korean War series from CH that now includes Toktong Pass, Pork Chop Hill, Pusan Perimeter and some previous scenarios in other packs (played one from Paddington Bears (Sydney ASL Group) actually the other day) – Does the usual Terrain stuff, NKPA stuff, additional special rules (that are in the modules) and New Vehicle notes and capabilities chart.
  • The Last article was placed at the bottom because I did find it hard to read – Its important and a nice collection of SSR’s that have been created over the years that designers could use and not re-invent the wheel but it’s very hard to read – just from lack of structure (it is hard to put such a collection together I suppose) and the little personal comments throughout became distracting in the end – I read it twice and felt I needed to read it again and again – but I could see a designer maybe getting into to it more
So in summary a nice set of articles! Followed by some stuff that all mags have and the usual CH innovative titbits. – I liked it overall in the end….

Rob:):)
  • Wow! I feel honored!

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
>The Ponyri CG by Scott – Really a very nice set of 2xCG’s with good setup tables etc using Platoon Leader rules and a whole set of juicy CG rules in addition – I have not played a CG forever so I can only comment how nice it looks – There is the usual CG card that is separate as expected

Which maps does this use? Not that I will buy the annual mind you (last few things I bought were from Dave Lamb). But a CG on this would be cool.

Peace

Roger

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CH's Module - KURSK-DEVIL'S DOMAIN: Metal Gods At Ponyri-The Battle of Kursk at Ponyri Station - Maps 1 and 2. Or, you get everything in the Module "Ponyri Monster". Maps 1, 2, 3, and 4.

This is the link to the vasl maps 1 and 2: https://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7kzb699hvtsvk. They haven't done maps 3 and 4 yet.

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Asshole ray promises me a free issue for that article, I email him asking about it and he is like "oh I gave a few items with so much money off a few years back" I'm like what?!! So no more CH for me, if you people are stupid enough to buy that crap thats fine by me, but I will not waste money anymore on those products.

Scott

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Asshole ray promises me a free issue for that article, I email him asking about it and he is like "oh I gave a few items with so much money off a few years back" I'm like what?!! So no more CH for me, if you people are stupid enough to buy that crap thats fine by me, but I will not waste money anymore on those products.

Scott
??Butt hurt in public often?

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Rule of thumb is if you expect to get paid for any sort of submission, be sure it is spelled out in advance preferable in writing. If things don't work out and you have something in writing then you have recourse. If it was done on a handshake with friends then you can lose a friend or let it go. If you were just counting on largess from a business then you were taken and learned a lesson. Even ASL companies are out to make money. Sorry about the butthurt comment but too many people think casting insults around the web is an adult way to "get even" for the slightest insult. 1 Last note always mark written submissions as copywritten. that helps you keep control of them.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Scott
Haven't you been hit before with that scenario pack of yours the name of which eludes me?

von Marwitz

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, complaints like that should be done privately not in a public forum. It's. called being an adult.
I disagree, if one method of redress is not working then perhaps it is time to explore another method. There is nothing wrong with publically exposing a company's business practice that one believes is not ethical. It is up to the reader as to how they take it. Of course, given the nature of many businesses, it is always wise to have everything in writing and a recording of all phone calls.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think rooster is a tapio sock puppet.

I disagree, if one method of redress is not working then perhaps it is time to explore another method. There is nothing wrong with publically exposing a company's business practice that one believes is not ethical. It is up to the reader as to how they take it. Of course, given the nature of many businesses, it is always wise to have everything in writing and a recording of all phone calls.

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Quite so but neither an adult or professional method of redress starts out with the phrase "Asshole ray"

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quite so but neither an adult or professional method of redress starts out with the phrase "Asshole ray"
You kind of have to get used to that on Gamesquad it is not a place for warm and fuzzies. The ASL facebook group is much more friendly, none the less it is a good place for information often from the people who know. It is like the old style forums from earlier in computer use.

Last edited:

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Selling a magazine and not giving a free one to someone who submitted quality content for it, is being fairly chicken sheet. I've seen guys being a lot more chicken sheet then that though. Still, I'd phone up his wife Maureen, and tell her you still haven't received your free mag promised to you by Ray and I bet you get it in a week. <G>