Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished up the map for BFP's Corregidor: the Rock today.
Edited Rick's map. Advised him that the world is not ready for 5-sided hexagons and that he should go innovate somewhere else. I think he took it well.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Finished up the map for BFP's Corregidor: the Rock today. Doing some minor tweaking and polishing, but at this point this puppy is basically finished.

Sounds awesome Rick! Guess I better brush up on those air drop rules.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played my first ever PTO scenario, Buckley's Block, and had a blast! Yet another aspect of the game that I will fail to master (ASL just gives and gives), but I'm having too much fun to care.
Small world - I had my first PTO scenario on Saturday as well, WO 18 "A Quick Strike". @DWPetros helped me get in the swing of the PTO and learn quite a few things along the way. The PTO has quite a different feel to it, with all of the hidden IJA units, pillboxes with tunnels, etc.

Alan

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Small world - I had my first PTO scenario on Saturday as well, WO 18 "A Quick Strike". @DWPetros helped me get in the swing of the PTO and learn quite a few things along the way. The PTO has quite a different feel to it, with all of the hidden IJA units, pillboxes with tunnels, etc.

Alan
No pillboxes or caves in Buckley's Block (or even HIP MMC, as the Japanese are attacking), but PTO is still fundamentally so different - you blast the Japanese and they don't break, they just keep coming! Very hard to stop them from getting into hand-to-hand with you. Also learned the SMC banzai sleaze - something handy to keep in my back pocket.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No pillboxes or caves in Buckley's Block (or even HIP MMC, as the Japanese are attacking), but PTO is still fundamentally so different - you blast the Japanese and they don't break, they just keep coming! Very hard to stop them from getting into hand-to-hand with you. Also learned the SMC banzai sleaze - something handy to keep in my back pocket.
It's only a sleaze until one of those little bastards gets into your hex and decides to play sushi with your squad.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's only a sleaze until one of those little bastards gets into your hex and decides to play sushi with your squad.
Oh, I didn't mean to use the word "sleaze" like it was a bad thing. I learned that one striped crappy SMC can lock up the fire of an entire death stack - part of the richness of the game is learning every tactic at your disposal.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Oh, I didn't mean to use the word "sleaze" like it was a bad thing. I learned that one striped crappy SMC can lock up the fire of an entire death stack - part of the richness of the game is learning every tactic at your disposal.
I hope you didn't learn that, as there is no such thing as a "striped SMC."

JR

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope you didn't learn that, as there is no such thing as a "striped SMC."

JR
Of course you are right (I've only played the PTO once). It was a 7+1 leader (who, I believe started life as an 8-0) who banzai charged my stack and locked up their fire.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Of course you are right (I've only played the PTO once). It was a 7+1 leader (who, I believe started life as an 8-0) who banzai charged my stack and locked up their fire.
Unless you are playing Poland in Flames in Manila, there are no 7+1 leaders in the PTO. Who is teaching you? Stay away from him.

JR

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unless you are playing Poland in Flames in Manila, there are no 7+1 leaders in the PTO. Who is teaching you? Stay away from him.

JR
It's my memory that's flawed, not the teacher (who knows ASL better than I EVER will). With one exposure to the PTO, I am still a long way from grokking the Japanese (I am most definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed, which doesn't help matters).

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
.... (or even HIP MMC, as the Japanese are attacking), ...
Grasshoppa. If the Japanese set up on board in daylight and are 'attacking' they can STILL set up 10% of their force HIP (G1.631)..HIP is free regardless of attack/defense...so what you see is not always what you get when facing them, if you follow me.

That they 'entered' was the crux of the matter in your case. Don't want you to be 'surprised' by this in another context...

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Oh, I didn't mean to use the word "sleaze" like it was a bad thing.
The word "sleaze" is always a bad thing. No-one looks forward to being "sleazed".

The word you were looking for is tactic. The rules support many tactics; some of them are not desirable (in the sense that you don't want your opponent to do it to you) but that doesn't make them "sleazy". The best way to stop your opponent from using undesirable tactics against you is to ready a defense against them. If you have no defenses, then you're screwed anyway; at that point it's probably ok to spill your drink in your opponent's lap (or if you're using his map and counters, on the board!).

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Grasshoppa. If the Japanese set up on board in daylight and are 'attacking' they can STILL set up 10% of their force HIP (G1.631)..HIP is free regardless of attack/defense...so what you see is not always what you get when facing them, if you follow me.

That they 'entered' was the crux of the matter in your case. Don't want you to be 'surprised' by this in another context...
Yep, I know that they get the free 10%, but as the Japanese were moving across the board to attack, I thought that HIP was irrelevant. (NRBH, but I imagine that entering the board and moving eight or ten hexes would probably result in loss of HIP.)

Also, I understand the distinction of entered and attacking, but being but a novice I often express myself clumsily and incorrectly (but hope that the gist is reasonably clear).

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The word you were looking for is tactic. The rules support many tactics; some of them are not desirable (in the sense that you don't want your opponent to do it to you) but that doesn't make them "sleazy".
Damn! :mad:

Now we need to go through about 50,000 threads with roughly 855,000 posts to purge the forum of the expression 'VBM sleaze' and to substitute it with 'VBM tactic'...

von Marwitz