Counter art

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Is there a clip art collection from creation of scenario sheets? I have created a blank template but would love to use actual counter type images .

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Legally no as part of MMP copyright. I like many others busted open VASL and use the counters out of that. you can also use lame text counters so a 4-6-7 inside a box for a German squad etc.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Is there a clip art collection from creation of scenario sheets? I have created a blank template but would love to use actual counter type images .
You have a blank template for a scenario card.
Is it like MMP's, same layout/format or is it arranged differently and labeled differently?
What program / software / app (MS Word, Open Office, etc.) is the sheet created?
Would you be willing to share with others?

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
the format is as close to MMP as i can get. I used open Office calc (spreadsheet) . If anyone would want it I'd be glad to post it in the files . can also be changed to Excel format.

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Legally no as part of MMP copyright. I like many others busted open VASL and use the counters out of that. you can also use lame text counters so a 4-6-7 inside a box for a German squad etc.
Does anyone know if MMP has objections to the use of the artwork. With a hobby like this normally the companies give alot of leeway. it helps to spread the hobby which is good for them. If anyone here can speak for MMP I would love to hear one way or another.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone know if MMP has objections to the use of the artwork. With a hobby like this normally the companies give alot of leeway. it helps to spread the hobby which is good for them. If anyone here can speak for MMP I would love to hear one way or another.
In the past, MMP has sent cease and desist letters, filed lawsuits against third party publishers, and sought civil action in court over the use of copyrighted images and their scenario card layout. Please note on some of the third party material there is usually a disclaimer that the material is compatible with tactical wargame systems without mentioning ASL.

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. As I have no intention of profiting from this I hope I can skirt the problem. If not I'm sure some changes can be made.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Most 3rd parties have made their own counter art, have re-organized the scenario layout, and use color so that it does not have same "look and feel" as the AH/MMP scenario layout design. Its really only an issue if you are selling your scenarios.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In general violating copyright does not require profit, or even money to be exchanged. Many of the videos that are taken down for copyright violation on youtube were posted without the expectation of profit or money. Whether or not your particular use of copyright material will be in violation of copyright depends on a number of factors, but if you are planning to publish it publicly you should probably at least do some substantial research on copyright, and perhaps consult a professional. In a broad sense you can make "fair use" of copyright material: http://www.publiccounsel.org/tools/publications/files/fairuse.pdf. A review or a critique of artwork that included images would probably be fair use. Developing your own module or publishing scenarios using someone else's art work without their permission would probably not be fair use. Ultimately it would depend on the use.

JR

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Some TPP don't care about using official graphics and MMP didn't care attacking them.
Now I saw VASL graphics being used with a "used with permission by" the VASL designer (sorry, memory fails me too much, so I will avoid misspelling his name).
Nowadays, I think that is quite easy to make one's own graphics.
I would even plead that TPP created a common set of counterart.
I tend to shun scenarios with text only OB, especially when guns and vehicles are featured.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VASL, Including the images, is released under a GNU license. You do not need permission from any of the image creators to use those images as long as you are in compliance with the GNU license. That does not, of course, relieve you from MMP copyright restrictions.

https://github.com/vasl-developers/vasl

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you are building the graphics for an official submission to MMP for an ASL design - then official counter artwork will ultimately become a required to use item as the process goes through and into the pipeline, as MMP will not accept a final submission from a designer that wishes to incorporate a TPP counter not part of MMP's official counterset, or a scenario card layout that is not in accordance with the MMP official scenario card layout design. (Pretty obvious, but something for a designer to consider at the outset.)

As Dave mentions above, the VASL counter art was released by the GNU for use - prior to that GNU coming into effect- it was an easy to obtain permission from Rodney and or Klaus and or Carl Fago - with a simple email exchange. So you may see, as mentioned above, some work out there with "VASL images used with permission....." etc and so on.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Some TPP don't care about using official graphics and MMP didn't care attacking them.
Now I saw VASL graphics being used with a "used with permission by" the VASL designer (sorry, memory fails me too much, so I will avoid misspelling his name).
Nowadays, I think that is quite easy to make one's own graphics.
I would even plead that TPP created a common set of counterart.
I tend to shun scenarios with text only OB, especially when guns and vehicles are featured.
That was me:D

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As you find it in Point Blank!

Published free of charge by the Silicon
Valley and Nor Cal ASL Clubs. If you
paid for this, you need to get your
money back!
ASL ® is a registered Trademark of
Hasbro Inc. and MultiMan Publishing
Inc. Artwork included contains counter art and
map art from Rodney Kinney’s brilliant
creation of VASL®. This artwork is
used with permission from Mr. Kinney.
Thanks to both Mr. Kinney and Carl
Fago for the quality work on one truly
innovative product for our hobby

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gotta second Jon's welcome back. Always looked forward to your remarks not to mention your map efforts!:thumbsup:

You are to kind sir, a fair few here would normally rather not look at my remarks.......;) and the map efforts are slowly going to come back on line as it were, i have a lot of Wips to finish off and offer up for folk to use.

Regards

Perry