Slaughter at Ponri

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Action Packs tend to include new maps, and to focus on using them. But it would make for a very good Journal scenario.

I'd be surprised if no full-map scenario had been designed, so it's probably a production choice to not include a monster Last/First Bid-like.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe there is a large 'Last Bid' like scenario in the works.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Action Packs tend to include new maps, and to focus on using them. But it would make for a very good Journal scenario.

I'd be surprised if no full-map scenario had been designed, so it's probably a production choice to not include a monster Last/First Bid-like.
Yeah- I kind of had one at one point, but then the map got bigger-- and there was just no way to re-do it. I do have some ideas for possible Journal material, but figured we could get more play testers once the product is actually released. The groups involved have already burned out several times over (myself included.)

I'm thinking more along the lines of 'linked scenarios'- similar the 'trilogies' I have done for the Journals-- but maybe with another twist or two;)

Last edited:

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah- I kind of had one at one point, but then the map got bigger-- and there was just no way to re-do it. I do have some ideas for possible Journal material, but figured we could get more play testers once the product is actually released. The groups involved have already burned out several times over (myself included.)

I'm thinking more along the lines of 'linked scenarios'- similar the 'trilogies' I have done for the Journals-- but maybe with another twist or two;)
That would be very cool.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So when is your HASL coming out?
I almost bit!
As Jan has mentioned previously in this thread, I have already designed 4 CG’s on the action around Ponyri on the exploits of both 86th,292nd and 78th sturm regiment around Ponyri, Prilepy and the May State Farm. One of them, called ‘To Catch a train’ specifically deals with the action around Ponyri and has been playtested with a number of fellow Gamesquad members. Albeit they are designed using CH’s Devils Domain and Gates of Hell maps and I know that specifically the Ponyri map is not correct. However, it has all the right ingredients Air, OBA, special rules for German sappers, German recovery rules, funk lenk.

If I had the time or inclination, yeah I would take steps to publish or even submit it to an established company. Although I haven’t done so, I understand the time and research required to produce an HASL, however an HASL has to be historical, if your going to do a module on Kursk, it’s got to have fortifications (where they were historically because the Russians put them there for a reason....to channel the Germans attack), OBA, the German XXXXI Corps was given a phenomenal amount of artillery to make up for the lack of full strength panzer divisions, Air support, both sides had this at a local level.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I almost bit!
As Jan has mentioned previously in this thread, I have already designed 4 CG’s on the action around Ponyri on the exploits of both 86th,292nd and 78th sturm regiment around Ponyri, Prilepy and the May State Farm. One of them, called ‘To Catch a train’ specifically deals with the action around Ponyri and has been playtested with a number of fellow Gamesquad members. Albeit they are designed using CH’s Devils Domain and Gates of Hell maps and I know that specifically the Ponyri map is not correct. However, it has all the right ingredients Air, OBA, special rules for German sappers, German recovery rules, funk lenk.

If I had the time or inclination, yeah I would take steps to publish or even submit it to an established company. Although I haven’t done so, I understand the time and research required to produce an HASL, however an HASL has to be historical, if your going to do a module on Kursk, it’s got to have fortifications (where they were historically because the Russians put them there for a reason....to channel the Germans attack), OBA, the German XXXXI Corps was given a phenomenal amount of artillery to make up for the lack of full strength panzer divisions, Air support, both sides had this at a local level.
That IS what I want to see in a HASL treatment, Full on OBA! It's time we got rid of a mere two batteries of OBA per side and allowed 8 to 10 (or more) to each player. Artillery has seriously been underplayed in ASL by a long shot. Of course the same to be said for air assets. Another niggling problem with many HASLs is the "design for effect" aspect as it relates to OBs. If the unit was there (at least to squad level or individual vehicle), it should be portrayed on map as to make it historically accurate (it was there for a reason). The one aspect that is noticeably missing are the communication wire teams employed by either side to lay/repair & recover commo wire. That this critical unit has been ignored by designers is unconscionable not to mention a-historical as wire/phones were much preferred and a much more sound form of communication. The last area that MUST be addressed is command and control. To have a player able to command his units willy-nilly all over the battlefield with strict adherence to his orders is complete nonsense and absolutely a-historical.:confused::facepalm::jig:eek:_O

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That IS what I want to see in a HASL treatment, Full on OBA! It's time we got rid of a mere two batteries of OBA per side and allowed 8 to 10 (or more) to each player. Artillery has seriously been underplayed in ASL by a long shot. Of course the same to be said for air assets. Another niggling problem with many HASLs is the "design for effect" aspect as it relates to OBs. If the unit was there (at least to squad level or individual vehicle), it should be portrayed on map as to make it historically accurate (it was there for a reason). The one aspect that is noticeably missing are the communication wire teams employed by either side to lay/repair & recover commo wire. That this critical unit has been ignored by designers is unconscionable not to mention a-historical as wire/phones were much preferred and a much more sound form of communication. The last area that MUST be addressed is command and control. To have a player able to command his units willy-nilly all over the battlefield with strict adherence to his orders is complete nonsense and absolutely a-historical.:confused::facepalm::jig:eek:_O

excellent post. And no it has not been ignored, not by the underground that actually play these games and design them. Yes, those two main items you mention have been identified as particular weaknesses in the existing HASL system. The third of course is the sweap and clear, or teleportation between CG dates style of HASL play. I have no idea if the OBA adjustements I authored are still being considered by those that picked the work on what we had done previously, or what my father had started with introducing C&C into ASL. However without them, as noted pointedly in another thread, ASL becomes more a game less a simulation. You still might have a fun game, but you lose the simulation/realism aspect that ASL has long prided itself upon when you move beyond the couple of units, and generic geoboard small unit actions that the ASL rules were based upon.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I almost bit!

See those rubble counters? That is the reality of your air and OBA. Those buildings didn't fall down themselves.

We have a few scenario situations with 'danger close ' artillery activity, as has been referred in the Nevshemal book (particularly in the attacks on the 'school house'). If you are aware of any examples where airstrikes took place within 400 meters (roughly 10 hexes) of friendly lines WHILE said friendly troops had their own attacks towards the train station underway-- please share. I will be glad to include in a scenario.

For the most part in ASL, artillery and air are what happens between scenarios -in both CGs and one-offs

If you want OBA/Air 'realism', we would need 30 turns of nothing but OBA/Air between scenario dates. Doesn't sound like much fun.:(:oops:

Last edited: