Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Parent Module
Berlin Final Victory
Guys,

Played this scenario yesterday, version 2.0. Can anyone, who has played the scenario, explain what purpose the 203mm artillery counters serve? Due to the NVR they can’t see the Reichstag at set up and the NVR decreases by one hex per turn for the first 5 turns. With a manhandling value of -4 they are all but impossible to move during the game. Ditto for the other arty pieces although they are somewhat easier to move.

Thoughts?

Paul

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Guys,

Played this scenario yesterday, version 2.0. Can anyone, who has played the scenario, explain what purpose the 203mm artillery counters serve? Due to the NVR they can’t see the Reichstag at set up and the NVR decreases by one hex per turn for the first 5 turns. With a manhandling value of -4 they are all but impossible to move during the game. Ditto for the other arty pieces although they are somewhat easier to move.

Thoughts?

Paul
Paul

Look in Chapter H - i'm sure the 203mm had tracks in which case it could move under its own steam albeit slowly. Don't play to many of these Berlin scenarios as I want you to play Gotterdamnrung (check spelling ) at some stage!

Ian

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The 203mm B-4 had tracks but they were unpowered. For long distance movement extra wheels were added to the track bogies. For short distance movement the tracks reduced the risk of bogging in soft ground, but at 17.7 tonne would be quite outside the ability of any crew to move more than the tiniest bit. MMP's version was made RFNM, I think that overly harsh. I could see a suitable vehicle being able to move such a gun a short tactical distance for a better firing position, eg down a street, within ASL's time frame, definitely changing CA would have been possible. If the Soviets were able to use them as oversized Infantry Guns in Berlin then some limited movement was possible.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think Klas has it. ‘No other night rules are used with exception of those relating to NVR’. Illumination and gun flashes.... slaps head.....

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Russian has 2x81mm mortars that can fire IR and the Reichstag would be lit up like Christmas tree with gunflashes. Clever stuff, but not immediately obvious when we read the SSRs. That would make a big difference to our perception of scenario balance.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Russian has 2x81mm mortars that can fire IR and the Reichstag would be lit up like Christmas tree with gunflashes. Clever stuff, but not immediately obvious when we read the SSRs. That would make a big difference to our perception of scenario balance.
Need to scrape the rust off the rules!