CASLO XXII

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The graphic in my previous post is the one we're putting on our souvenir coffee mugs.

We're also giving away our unique embroidered patches to each registrant, and the souvenir scotch glasses will have the other graphic etched on.
cool patch. i wish more tourneys did them

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Less than a week before the early registration discount no longer applies!

Save that $5 (Canadian) and apply it to your airfare!

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I know that I am beginning to sound like a broken record, but If you want to attract new players - and that really should be a primary goal- You should not have an all Pacific/Desert/Night/etc round. A tournament is not a place to force someone to learn new rules.
I am all for adding 2 (pick your choice here) in any given round. I encourage the Tournament team to reconsider and be more inclusive in its scenario list.

ex-Director Steve

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I believe the primary goal of an ASL Tournament, is provide a format that challenges players' abilities against other players outside their regular circle of opponents.

The goal of newbie ASL Tournament is provide a format for new/inexperienced players to learn the rules.

I believe the CASLO is not a newbie ASL Tournament, and it shouldn't be where someone goes to learn to play the game. The CASLO is a test, a challenge, a contest, a measuring stick to see how skilled/lucky you are compared to the wider field.

Tournament scenarios are published 3 months prior to the tournament, giving players enough time to open up the rule book and learn the rules and even play the various scenarios, weeding out one you don't like. To have Germans vs. Russians on the eastern front again and again, get boring, and the lack of variety will dissuade players from attending the CASLO.

Many players who like to play PTO/Desert/Night don't get to play allot of PTO/Desert/Night scenarios at the CASLO, even with 2 scenarios per round.

If newbies want to learn the game, and there is enough interest, then a ASL Starter Kit side tournament could be run concurrently. But history has shown that few attend the CASLO to participate in a ASL Starter Kit scenario to learn play the game.

I don't think there is a tournament format out there that will please everyone and tournament staff have to make a decision on a format - like it or not.

Living life on the West Coast at +10 C.

George

PS- Wish I could make it this year, but wife said "25th Anniversary Cruise, end of discussion".

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
There is one round of all Japanese scenarios but they are not all PTO. The desert and night scenario(s) are spread out.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I never insinuated that CASLO is a "Newbie" tournament, but it is a tournament that a lot of New to ASL players attend as their first tournament.

Quote:"If newbies want to learn the game, and there is enough interest, then a ASL Starter Kit..."
I was not referring to ASLSK - newbies, but those who have picked up the BIG Orange book and are new to tournaments. I fully agree that there has historically not been enough interest, at least at CASLO, to have a Starter Kit tourney, maybe one day.

Quote: "Many players who like to play PTO/Desert/Night don't get to play allot of PTO/Desert/Night scenarios at the CASLO"
Again I have no objections to having a smattering of all types in a tournament. - Even a Steak House will have a veggian menu option.

As you said no Tournament will please everyone, but I know that by forcing a particular genre on people you start to alienate players. I personally know a number of players who have not attended an ASL Tournament because of ALL Japanese round.

I fully appreciate that the final say of any tournament belongs to the TD and his staff. The success or failure is theirs as well. As a member of CASLA I am voicing my option. That and $1.25 will get you a coffee at 7-11.

I am glad to hear that not all the Japanese round scenarios has PTO, Michael. Would you be able to send those to me please.

I am trying to determine if I can attend.

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Quote: "Many players who like to play PTO/Desert/Night don't get to play allot of PTO/Desert/Night scenarios at the CASLO"
Again I have no objections to having a smattering of all types in a tournament. - Even a Steak House will have a veggian menu option.
Four of the five rounds (or 20 of the 25 scenarios) are not Japanese/PTO, I would say that is more that enough vegan menu choices...;)

Darren Kovacs

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I had great fun at CASLO this year! Thanks to the tournament staff: Eldon, Steffen, Paul Suderman, and Ron. Maybe the turnout wasn't as big as would be hoped for but I think the best bunch of guys from Canada came out to spend a weekend together playing the game we love. : )
Victory certainly wasn't a given. Two of the games were so close that the undefeated status almost didn't happen.
First game against Paul Asselin was only rescued by a fortunate ambush in CC which allowed my Belgians to infiltrate out and recover a victory location the last turn in W09 Sting 'Em at Zingem.
Versus Michael Rodgers in AP86 Milling About, things didn't really come together until the endgame as I was behind in the count for VP until the last couple player turns. One of the few Japanese scenarios where No Quarter is not in effect (January 1942). I look back at one decision that could have cost me the game. There was one moment when the first British units surrendered to the Japanese and I was mulling over whether to take prisoners or not. I was on the edge; not of clear ASL mind. I chose correctly finally and took prisoners. This allowed me to start stacking up CVPs which I would need to gain the advantage. Almost a decision I blew which would have likely cost me the game. Certainly a nail biter of a match.
I enjoyed playing old friends (cardboard enemies) including Doug Rimmer, Paul Suderman, and Blake Ball too.
Hope to see many of you at the next CASLO wherever it will reside or sooner at an ASL table near you.

Darren