So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently playing ASL 204 Human Bullets from KWASL. I am the attacking Russians er I mean NKPA and my buddy is the corrupt regime of South Korea. We are currently on turn 3 and will resume are game soon but just wanted to say I am really liking this scenario. Even though the Steep Hills is over engineered, and boy did we muddle through those rules, the Steep Hill stuff can be manageable [EXC: Night, Chinese IPM would really be painful to play on steep hills]. The Scenario title is apt, as lots of South Korean Tank Hunter Heros came out of the wood work to crush my fleeing NKPA Armor. Though we did have a question, lets say a Tank Hunter enters the AFV's hex, does the AFV have to pay VCA and TCA DRM's to first fire on the TH as it's first fire attack? I thought this sort of DRM's was more for tanks entering Guns or LATW capable units hexes. At this point in our game it really does not matter since all the NKPA armor was destroyed by: MOL's, Tank hunters, BAZ's and one ATG on a level for hill.

Scott

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Though we did have a question, lets say a Tank Hunter enters the AFV's hex, does the AFV have to pay VCA and TCA DRM's to first fire on the TH as it's first fire attack? I thought this sort of DRM's was more for tanks entering Guns or LATW capable units hexes.
To use DFF against a unit entering the defender's hex, that defender's weapon would have to change its CA to include the hexside crossed [C3.2 EX, C5.51].

JR

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks JR, ya with the ROK being able to HIP on the Steep Hills, there is no way to predict where they are coming from. Now it is just an infantry fight with the NKPA trying to get the required exit points for the win. Alot of time left so the victory is still doable. I think what people will need to realize about this scenario is that the Armor is going to die no matter what you try to do, just dont be too disappointed in your game. Heck, just moving along the steep hill roads is 2 MP's! (non convoy) and wrecks add 4 more MP's! Wreck blazes eat up more MP's.

To use DFF against a unit entering the defender's hex, that defender's weapon would have to change its CA to include the hexside crossed [C3.2 EX, C5.51].

JR

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will be starting Human Bullets this weekend. We're 4 days out and I already like this KW scenario because I only had to read about 1/3 of the KW rules..

;)

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks JR, ya with the ROK being able to HIP on the Steep Hills, there is no way to predict where they are coming from. Now it is just an infantry fight with the NKPA trying to get the required exit points for the win. Alot of time left so the victory is still doable. I think what people will need to realize about this scenario is that the Armor is going to die no matter what you try to do, just dont be too disappointed in your game. Heck, just moving along the steep hill roads is 2 MP's! (non convoy) and wrecks add 4 more MP's! Wreck blazes eat up more MP's.
One T-34/85 escaped/ exited in our playing. Then it turned into an all infantry battle.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Human bullets twice, I like the scenario but I honestly do not see the NKPA ever winning this one, barring awful luck for the ROK, they will be throwing out 2-2 shots as the NKPA approach. The terrain is just gawd awful to traverse and will probably be the deciding factor as far as the NKPA winning or losing. Still, a fun scenario, next up will be ASL 207 Bullets for breakfast, that one looks very kool too.

One T-34/85 escaped/ exited in our playing. Then it turned into an all infantry battle.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FT213 Up the Liri Valley Interesting little infantry only scenario set in Italy 1944. The French (Attacker) and the Germans both get to attack and defend. The Germans get VP points for controlling certain victory hexes at the end of each Turn (5 total). My 3rd Company "Bataillon de Marche n 11, 1st DFL" Free French (which setup TI the first round) held the Germans up from getting most of the the middle map VP hexes. But my attacking front line French got beat up pretty bad. My opponent had setup a good mutually supporting defense centered around a fortified building and an adjacent foxhole with just orchards and hedge line as TEM for the French. Both my attacking flanks collapsed attacking those positions despite getting two heroes and a fanatic 458 (they broke and never rallied including two turns where they weren't DM). I conceded after the Rally Phase of my Turn 5 as I needed to take two VP locations but couldn't rally up enough troops for the counter attack.

Fun scenario. The hedges compartmentalize the battlefield and with both sides moving so many troops around, you have to be careful of getting your rout paths cut off because there is a CVP cap (18 for both sides).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
FT213 Up the Liri Valley Interesting little infantry only scenario set in Italy 1944. The French (Attacker) and the Germans both get to attack and defend. The Germans get VP points for controlling certain victory hexes at the end of each Turn (5 total). My 3rd Company "Bataillon de Marche n 11, 1st DFL" Free French (which setup TI the first round) held the Germans up from getting most of the the middle map VP hexes. But my attacking front line French got beat up pretty bad. My opponent had setup a good mutually supporting defense centered around a fortified building and an adjacent foxhole with just orchards and hedge line as TEM for the French. Both my attacking flanks collapsed attacking those positions despite getting two heroes and a fanatic 458 (they broke and never rallied including two turns where they weren't DM). I conceded after the Rally Phase of my Turn 5 as I needed to take two VP locations but couldn't rally up enough troops for the counter attack.

Fun scenario. The hedges compartmentalize the battlefield and with both sides moving so many troops around, you have to be careful of getting your rout paths cut off because there is a CVP cap (18 for both sides).
I just happened to complete a VASL setup for this one 5 minutes ago:

FT213 Up The Liri Valley Scenario Archive.jpg

von Marwitz

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played FrF13 Knives to a Gunfight. I think the game was lost for the Russians when my friend decided to traverse the hills with the squads instead of sticking to the same level hill roads. The one extra MF for crossing a crest in snow slowed him down leaving him too little time to make a coordinated push towards one of the objectives in the end. To be fair, with concealments situated on the hills simulating guns (or maybe they were guns?), the Russians have to make an early decision on how they want to press forward. And, they're going to have to go up a hill somewhere; it's just a matter of how high. He adjusted on the fly when he realized how time consuming it was and ended up recovering - almost. I thought about placing all three ART guns on the hills but with only one MMG toting 1/2 squad to protect them from an infantry rush, I thought the better of it and placed only the 150 on the central 4th level hill location protected by cliffs. The MMG went there as well. I placed the other guns near the victory buildings/exit area (they're pretty much in the same place) to stop a mad dash at the end. It came down to the last turn. The Russians had exited a T-34 and needed just two more tanks or squads to exit for the victory. I moved my few squads back into mutually supporting positions at the exit hexes and stopped a five squad rush with defensive fire and resid. My friend is very positive and recommends it for the Russians but I wouldn't. I think too much has to go right for them or bad for the Germans (three B11 guns) for them to even make it to the buildings they need much less exiting. Yes, getting five squads close to exiting seems like the Russians were doing well, but they all had to push from one side and there was way too much open ground for them to traverse to actually have a chance to make it. Easy recommendation for the Germans, though.

One weird thing about the German 105s is that they can fire heat. The gun has neither an under or overscore nor do the notes say it is limited to a certain type of ammunition. That means it has a to kill number of 21 with AP but if it fired heat it would be a 15. Did I miss something? My 105s only took out one T-34 on a side shot which I rolled low enough for either HE or AP ammo to kill, but something seems off.

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played FrF9 The Abbeville Bridgehead as the defending Germans against the attacking French today at our Twin Cities ASl game day. I set up fairly forward to make crossing the open ground as painful as possible then pull a slow fade toward the VC buildings. The French came in on the French left flank with a platoon down the middle.

The sitrep through T4 (of seven) looked rough for the French. By that time I had DI-ed one R35 with the 20LAA and had an active sniper that took out the 9-2. Earlier the French 8-0 ELRed then (I think) died on double-break WC. By this time there were at least 5 x broken 457s and a decent chance most would be kept under DM. Considering I held all three VC buildings and the distance to travel to get to the church VC building or the board 4 VC building (right flank) looked pretty daunting. Oddly, my two 37Ls never got on the board being out of LOS to the enemy. A fun scenario against mostly unstoppable French armor. The Germans have to be careful not to get cut-off too far forward. All in all, a great way to spend a cloudy, cold Saturday afternoon.

BTW: we played this with the French getting an extra 457. Is this the balance on the Best of Friends version? Frankly, they could have used a 7-0 instead.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
One weird thing about the German 105s is that they can fire heat. The gun has neither an under or overscore nor do the notes say it is limited to a certain type of ammunition. That means it has a to kill number of 21 with AP but if it fired heat it would be a 15. Did I miss something? My 105s only took out one T-34 on a side shot which I rolled low enough for either HE or AP ammo to kill, but something seems off.
I noticed something similar in a past post. WW2 spun HEAT shells tended to have penetration of 1x (usually) to 2x the calibre, so a TK of 15 would equate to 100mm of penetration, which seems about right. Post war penetration values tended to be 3x to 5x the calibre due to better research and design.

The 10cm sK 18 (actually 10.5 cm) was the same gun as on the "Dicker Max" and according to http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/10-5cm-k-18-gp-sfl-dicker-max.php could penetrate 155mm at 500m and 0° which matches very well with a TK of 21 (16 FRU +5). So though the plain AP was better than HEAT, the Germans were doing HEAT for everything and anything. The HEAT shell for a sK 18 would be little different than from any other 10.5cm weapon, so why not do one? The cartridge would differ of course. The German 7.5cm PaK 40 had both AP and HEAT available, but the AP was better except at very extreme range.

This looks like a case of "strange but true".

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noticed something similar in a past post. WW2 spun HEAT shells tended to have penetration of 1x (usually) to 2x the calibre, so a TK of 15 would equate to 100mm of penetration, which seems about right. Post war penetration values tended to be 3x to 5x the calibre due to better research and design.

The 10cm sK 18 (actually 10.5 cm) was the same gun as on the "Dicker Max" and according to http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/10-5cm-k-18-gp-sfl-dicker-max.php could penetrate 155mm at 500m and 0° which matches very well with a TK of 21 (16 FRU +5). So though the plain AP was better than HEAT, the Germans were doing HEAT for everything and anything. The HEAT shell for a sK 18 would be little different than from any other 10.5cm weapon, so why not do one? The cartridge would differ of course. The German 7.5cm PaK 40 had both AP and HEAT available, but the AP was better except at very extreme range.

This looks like a case of "strange but true".
I was actually thinking about sending a PM to you to ask you about this very thing. I figured you'd have a great explanation. Thanks, Paul!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I was actually thinking about sending a PM to you to ask you about this very thing. I figured you'd have a great explanation. Thanks, Paul!
I must state that the above post is just my guess, plausible but possibly completely wrong for all I know. I have no special insight to German designers' and procurers' minds, but that's my best estimate.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I finished a PBEM match of MM25 FUTILE BRAVERY with Jeff Sewell. I had the Germans and misplayed their setup badly. I did not anticipate that the northern bridge garrison would not be able to fall back because of Russian units on both sides of their area. I believe the Germans needed to be much tighter around the north end of the bridge than I had them. After four turns, there were almost no Germans left in the north garrison.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RPT136 La Riposte Vaine (The Vain Response) vs Rick N.
French won as they aggressively drove , and crossed, the bridge over the river. One tank immobilized from street fighting, but you have to push it.
Then the French seized three buildings, and held against the German counterattack. The German FT never made it to the match, I'd risk it all to double time it, it needs to be involved asap. French were sure to put 3 squads and the 9-2 in a building, to tally the 9 VP needed, in case they decided to pull back across the bridge (even could have self broke back to a safe rally point?), but it was not necessary as the German counterattack fell short.
A fun early war match from the new SP 1940 Rally Pack.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I finished my 100th scenario yesterday, Riley's Road Campaign Date 1. By and large, my defense plan worked out, and I even repelled a first incursion into my (much too expensive) trench system.
Congrats!

By the way: ASL allows you to have your Prisoners dig Foxholes (alas not Trenches as this would usually not fit into the scope of a scenario). They work for free... I believe I even attempted this once - just to do it. :cool:

von Marwitz

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back in Force FT 216 From the Luneville series in the new FTC. A fair amount of maneuver in this one especially for an urban scenario. My Americans got hung up at the 23Y7 building, losing 2 Shermans there. 51P5 changed hands three times. I needed 13 VC buildings, took 12. Good scenario, good contest.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
Back in Force FT 216 From the Luneville series in the new FTC. A fair amount of maneuver in this one especially for an urban scenario. My Americans got hung up at the 23Y7 building, losing 2 Shermans there. 51P5 changed hands three times. I needed 13 VC buildings, took 12. Good scenario, good contest.
I am glad that you enjoyed it ! Did you play it as part of the minicampaign ?
Lionel

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
RPT136 La Riposte Vaine (The Vain Response) vs Rick N.
French won as they aggressively drove , and crossed, the bridge over the river. One tank immobilized from street fighting, but you have to push it.
The only victory for the Germans that I know of is when the Char B1 tanks "yahtzeed" their immobilization role and ended up playing no part in the attack. If you are planning to use them then at least start them on the hill so that if a similar fates befalls them, they can provide support.