Just getting started with PB: HOD

Cdn HIPster

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi,

I'm an old ASL player trying to learn some new tricks. I dabbled once, a long time ago with Panzerblitz and have some good memories so I bought PB2. It has very appealing counter art and a campaign that interests me a lot. I visited Normandy and walked through the neighbouring battlefield of Verriere Ridge (across the Orne) from Hill 112. It was in the distance though and you could imagine the tactical importance of the hill.

So, I'm trying to come to grips with the game. I play solitaire so I kind of like the chit-pull. It adds a lot of uncertainty and tension to the game.

I do have some questions...the first being about the chit pull. Does each player only pull 1 chit per turn, or do you cycle through all the chits before completing a turn? I tend to think the former, but I can't find any specific reference.

Determining an AT attack is a bit different. It functions on the differential between the attacking AT factor and the defending AT factor as far as I can see...this gave me pause for thought but umm...ok....

Also, it seems that an infantry squad pays no extra mf for moving uphill across a crest line. This is weird. Is it correct?

Anyway, these are just some initial questions. I will check out the errata on the game. I really want to like this game. So far though, my reaction is a little mixed. Perhaps when I'm more familiar with the operation sequence I'll enjoy it a little more.

Regards,
Clayton

Ryan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone have feedback on PB:HOD?

I thought it had some bad buzz when first released so I avoided the game and it has been forever for the follow on game in the series to be released.

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There was a lot of bad buzz because people were expecting something more like the original game, IMHO. They wanted more scenarios, geomorphic maps, etc. Development seems to be stalled - I think that there is some reluctance to publish a sequel after the bad reception (online at least) the reboot got.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules say that you play all the chits each turn except the last one. You'll have to find it though because there are exceptions to this rule.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

I'm an old ASL player trying to learn some new tricks. I dabbled once, a long time ago with Panzerblitz and have some good memories so I bought PB2. It has very appealing counter art and a campaign that interests me a lot. I visited Normandy and walked through the neighbouring battlefield of Verriere Ridge (across the Orne) from Hill 112. It was in the distance though and you could imagine the tactical importance of the hill.

So, I'm trying to come to grips with the game. I play solitaire so I kind of like the chit-pull. It adds a lot of uncertainty and tension to the game.

I do have some questions...the first being about the chit pull. Does each player only pull 1 chit per turn, or do you cycle through all the chits before completing a turn? I tend to think the former, but I can't find any specific reference.

Determining an AT attack is a bit different. It functions on the differential between the attacking AT factor and the defending AT factor as far as I can see...this gave me pause for thought but umm...ok....

Also, it seems that an infantry squad pays no extra mf for moving uphill across a crest line. This is weird. Is it correct?

Anyway, these are just some initial questions. I will check out the errata on the game. I really want to like this game. So far though, my reaction is a little mixed. Perhaps when I'm more familiar with the operation sequence I'll enjoy it a little more.

Regards,
Clayton
Stick with it, Yes many wanted more from PB:HoD when it first came out, and I can see or should say Understand why. The game is good, nothing amazing, nor bad, it is solid, I play solitaire as well, so the chit pull works very well. The last chit is used as the first chit for the next turn, so a bit of an advantage there for what ever player that it belongs to. Infantry MP do seem strange but work IMHO, the scale of the game dissolves the need for overly detailed infantry MP costs.

As to the chit pull itself, you pull chits in turn out of the cup, one player then the next, whatever sides chit is pull is the side that places its Op chit and goes from there, it makes for some tense moments.

What would of made it better....a proper Campaign game, more scenarios and maybe a few semi rigid geo boards, but then maybe not. It might of worked better if they had just revamped the original PB with new graphics, new maps and more content, the game would play well with the chit pull Op system I think.
It is a shame that MMP will doubtful go back to PB and re-invent it as I feel it is a classic that if re-done and with some of what I said, it might be just what folk wanted or dreamed of.

all the best

Perry

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish that they had used the usual infantry and armor designations of the old game. I think it is hard to see all the info on the counters with the pictures that are printed on them. I think the symbols, and the not as realistic mapboards of the old game, gave it a much more upper echelon military feel. I do like the chit pull system, though I think the armor combat is still not quite right. It dosn't seem right that one counter of shermans combined with 2 counters of stuarts should have the same combat strength/lethality as three counters of shermans.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wish that they had used the usual infantry and armor designations of the old game. I think it is hard to see all the info on the counters with the pictures that are printed on them. I think the symbols, and the not as realistic mapboards of the old game, gave it a much more upper echelon military feel. I do like the chit pull system, though I think the armor combat is still not quite right. It dosn't seem right that one counter of shermans combined with 2 counters of stuarts should have the same combat strength/lethality as three counters of shermans.

Many little quirks in PB:HoD, I like the counters I have to admit, I would as said liked to of seen a better or larger content, I knocked this up on 5 Mins so it is not hard counter wise, they just need to look at extra content and such like to advance the game system.

Attachments

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I bought it. Played it. Liked it well enough. It got more bad press than maybe it deserved but I had fun, which is what I expected from a game. The Carentan expansion was cool too (FYI, I have an extra copy of Carentan I’m selling if anyone likes HOD and wants another version - see BGG). I liked the chit pull mechanic - it definitely makes solitaire more interesting. For the rules complaints, the available rewrites helped.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Latest word from MMP is they are starting over with a Panzerblitz reboot. Generic combat scenarios...to be called Panzerblitz Eastern Front. Fingers crossed.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Latest word from MMP is they are starting over with a Panzerblitz reboot. Generic combat scenarios...to be called Panzerblitz Eastern Front. Fingers crossed.
Just had a reply from Mr Goldberg, it seems MMP intend to go for a pre-order before the end of the year. If so it would be nice to see some counter art etc, we have already seen a tentative bit of map art and it looks good, really good. I hope and pray (and I am not the religious type) that PB-EF is a cracker, PB2-HoD was ok, but that was all, PB-EF needs to be a belter, and I hope it turns out that way.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
My introduction to board wargaming was PB, though I had cooked up some rules for my 1/76 armour models before. I later move to SPI's many equivalents of which I thought October War the best. SL and ASL has dominated my board gaming since but I still had a hankering for platoon+ level and got some PanzerGrenadier stuff. I did like PB2's ruleset/mechanisms better than PG, but the very limited time and theatre meant that it was not very satisfying. I will definitely be getting PB2 EF, might even get a 2nd copy for extra counters if I am happy with it.