First FtF ASL game.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played my first FtF ASL game on Saturday. I met up at the SoCal ASL Club’s monthly Game day in Bellflower. 11 other players were there and they gave me a very warm welcome. I just showed up with a RB, Rat Charts, Dice and a cup. They paired me with Tracy Woods who just started and this would be his 3rd game. Fortunately, Tracy had all the stuff, board pack and a ton of scenarios that were in two large binders. He wanted to play a scenario for a View From the Trenches pack, SHIN 3, Tally Ho!. We rolled for sides, I got the Brits. He just received the Brit OB from CH so I proceeded to remove the counters I needed.

The Germans (10, 2nd line squads) start on the east and west edges of board 19 north of row P. I (Brits 16,1st line squads) set up in between him between rows T and Z, may be in foxholes if in the open. All roads are gullies. 6 turns. Brits go first.

Germans get VP for every CVP and exiting of the south edge. Brits get 2x VP for exiting off south edge.

I conceded at the end my 5th turn as I would only be able to get one half squad off by games end.

I learned a lot, screwed up a lot and had a good time. Classic beginner stuff. Bad setup, not using smoke, to much Prep Fire and not understanding the constraint of the gully.

The club members would check in on us and give us help with rules, especially because Tracy had a 80mm OBA module.

I’d like a mulligan but I had fun. The game flowed pretty well considering I only have 2 SK FtF games under my belt.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was great to meet you, and fun to sit in and watch you and Tracy for a bit...hopefully my tips were equally helpful.

If you can make it to West Coast Melee this weekend, you will have a ton of fun...and pick up even more experience! :)

Semper Fi!
Scott

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was great to meet you, and fun to sit in and watch you and Tracy for a bit...hopefully my tips were equally helpful.

If you can make it to West Coast Melee this weekend, you will have a ton of fun...and pick up even more experience! :)

Semper Fi!
Scott
Thanks Scott for the help. You did set us on the right path to OBA. One thing I think we got wrong was the the Offboard Observer should have had some kind to modifier to the accuracy due to the rain/mist hindrance. This could have helped me. :study:

We never activated the snipers. I guess we were not paying attention.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We never activated the snipers. I guess we were not paying attention.
Happens, even to the more experienced of us. However, remember, it's a two player game and if either" of you should notice a Sniper opportunity, you should it announce it as it is not a game where one tries to overcome your opponent by subterfuge by failing to comply to this rule if apparent even if it is not to your benefit..

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Happens, even to the more experienced of us. However, remember, it's a two player game and if either" of you should notice a Sniper opportunity, you should it announce it as it is not a game where one tries to overcome your opponent by subterfuge by failing to comply to this rule if apparent even if it is not to your benefit..
Agree 100%, We are both novices and made lots of errors. I noticed a mistake on my part and backed up a move even though it was to my disadvantage.

In playing the 3 SK games I put the ELR number on a post-it note in front of us for both of us to remember. This is something that we should have done with the SAN and ELR.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Agree 100%, We are both novices and made lots of errors. I noticed a mistake on my part and backed up a move even though it was to my disadvantage.

In playing the 3 SK games I put the ELR number on a post-it note in front of us for both of us to remember. This is something that we should have done with the SAN and ELR.
Play a lot. Play different people. Keep playing.

That’s how you learn. If there’s ever been a perfectly played game of ASL rules-wise, it wasn’t in anybody’s first 100 games. Mistakes are part of it. Identify, assess, incorporate.

And roll low.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sniper awareness is key. They can cause chain reactions of havoc worse than a B-29 pastel carpet bomb. Always take basic sniper precautions, one good idea is to use your low SAN 2 sniper counter as a target sniper absorber.
LEAVE THE DICE BE !! Let them sit until it is time to roll again. Don't mindlessly and uncontrollably pick them up immediately after every DR. Usually it's best to vocalize "ROF" and/or "Sniper" ...ect every time immediately thereafter.

I know of several clever characters whom have many dice. They line them up after every roll and can go back at least a dozen rolls until they recycle and roll again.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I know of several clever characters whom have many dice. They line them up after every roll and can go back at least a dozen rolls until they recycle and roll again.
Perhaps we need little webcams mounted on dice towers/glasses to record the recent values. LIke instant replay. That would help with ROF too.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that simply being wary when you roll low (2-4) works most of the time.
There are only a few scenarios with a SAN higher than 4.