Korea: The Forgotten War...

jpellam

Kamikaze Landing Gear
Reaction score
Dang it! My 2015 preorder credit card info was outdated (Totally my fault) so I was skipped and went to the back of the line. I then preordered it again in 2017 but it has not been processed yet. When will I ever learn. LOL

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Well, I'm glad I am not the only one in that boat!

Nadir_E

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forgotten War? That's so "last week" already. ;) ;) Punched my copy this past weekend - took 4 of the BoxBox trays (one each for the S. Koreans, CVPA, OUNC and a shared box for the US/Commonwealth pieces). I'm looking forward to playing some of the scenarios at next month's West Coast Melee (as well as the KWASL scenario in the latest [DASL] Action Pack).

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I received mine last Monday (Jan 15), but was only able to punch and organize the counters this past weekend. One thing that occurred to me while organizing the OUNC counters, is how they could work well to represent Free French in 44-45. Now those Free French tanks from CdG could be put to good use. Hope everyone's FW arrives soon so that you can enjoy what this module has to offer.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forgotten War? That's so "last week" already. ;) ;) Punched my copy this past weekend - took 4 of the BoxBox trays (one each for the S. Koreans, CVPA, OUNC and a shared box for the US/Commonwealth pieces). I'm looking forward to playing some of the scenarios at next month's West Coast Melee (as well as the KWASL scenario in the latest [DASL] Action Pack).
Punched mine this past weekend. It took 2 Plano 3701s to hold everything. If you like to really spread out stuff it will take 3.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just got a text from UPS saying a package from MMP is scheduled for delivery tomorrow afternoon...:hellyes:

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Got my game yesterday, opened it up, and am currently in the "drool" phase.

jpellam

Kamikaze Landing Gear
Reaction score
How did you organize the N Koreans?

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Terrain. My focus is on Korean terrain and if new Korean looking boards can be produced later on for it.
To that end, I'm furiously studying photos, movies, and sketching out some geoboard ideas. The Korean terrain is very unique - not like Europe, Russia, or PTO (though it's closer to PTO than the other types).

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Terrain. My focus is on Korean terrain and if new Korean looking boards can be produced later on for it.
To that end, I'm furiously studying photos, movies, and sketching out some geoboard ideas. The Korean terrain is very unique - not like Europe, Russia, or PTO (though it's closer to PTO than the other types).
I wonder if a trip to south-central California wouldn't help...

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree, but the CPVA was always willing to accept casualties that any Western army never would have been willing to accept. If the Canadian Army had the good qualities of the CPVA but suffered the casualties that the CPVA did, it would not be regarded as a "pretty good army".

The Canadian Army official history has a surprising amount to say about the Chinese. The more I read the more I find that the Canadians had a great respect for the abilities of the Chinese soldiers. They apparently had really good junior NCOs, by 1952 were able to mass artillery fire and use it effectively during raids, had an aggressive system of patrolling, built effective earthworks that were well-camouflaged and sited to give effective defence in depth, and required about 1/5 the supplies that the UN troops required on a daily basis. The Canadians by contrast were less good at patrolling, took predictable routes prone to ambushes, and had Observation Posts and defensive positions that were conspicuous by the field telephone cables and piles of garbage left lying around.

I think the common perception of the Chinese is a bit skewed by reports of "human wave" assaults. I don't doubt they happened (at Kapyong 2 PPCLI was apparently outnumbered 9 to 1) but according to the Canadians who fought them, the Chinese were also pretty good at what they were doing by the last year or two of the war.

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. I am glad that you like FW.

I now have had the occasion to scan through the rules and scenarios.
I was not initially fully convinced that I would like a post WW2 ASL setting.
But I think that I will like FW a lot.
Nice toys, new terrain rules (steep hills is really interesting and could be adapted to WW2 settings such as Italian mountain combat or some PTO situations comes to mind), new units (the Communist Chinese restrictions on movement are intriguing), etc.
That module must have taken a huge time to be designed and playtested ! A true work of love.
I also like the matte rendering of the new boards: an unexpected improvement - perhaps will the following new boards follow that line?

I don't play Night rules, but this module is teasing me to try another time to dip my foot in the water...
Rice paddies are not my prefered terrain, but they are not that hard to play - they only are in one state at a given time... and when one plays them in a more regular way, things get easier from time to time.

So my enthusiasm is growing, as discovering new rules and the "feel" of a war that I hardly know anything about is a very pleasant prospective.

And, last but not least, this module will perhaps see our Chinese ASLers contribute in the future, as they have access to some Chinese sources that most of us cannot read - btw, if someone is wary of the propaganda aspect of those sources, I would say that the West has also developed a propaganda litterature during the Cold War... comparing sources can reduce the exagerations or euphemisms of both sides.

So congrats to MMP for the good job !

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK Prior Marine and 14 years in the National Guard...and I had a ASL and history fight with a good friend. I mentioned that the US Army had poor performance in the early Korean battles b/c they had been more focused on parade ground training, then on battle readiness. AND their ordnance people sent them unprepared for war. Stress EARLY.....

Truth?