Operation : Schmidt

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I suspected the choice was deliberate. What makes me wonder in O:S is that the M20 is done in AH style while the M10 is done in BF alternate style. It is a niggling inconsistency. One style or the other, s'il vous plaît.

JR
No, blame the counter guy, which would be 'ahem'.. me. On that one I struggled with how small the white portion designating the open topped would have been in colorizing the vehicle given that the vehicle depiction is small to start with anyway. (I know, I know, why worry about this one and not the M10? Like I said, the counter guy is nuts, what can I say). So in the end, I just chose to leave it all white. It might be better to take the approach that was done for the black counters, by making the MFs blue to designate open topped.

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aye sir, and most men are driven visually
Guys will be guys

Seriously Jackson, who are you? Within an hour of Schmidt arrival you’ve got a campaign game started?!? Are you real or just some made up persona? You are an ASL player extraordinaire! I’m much impressed.

And thanks again for these awesome AAR’s. Much much appreciated by guys like me that are in the “someday I’ll play more” camp.

Seems like you got the gif border in place around the map using the HTML placeholder of the overlay extension. I’m always wondering if my instructions are adequate. They always make sense to me but then that’s not what matters.

Enjoy the Schmidt out of your campaign and thanks in advance for the future AAR’s.

Al

BTW, am I the first to post a cheesy “awe Schmidt” pun?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually that was a playtest on an older version of the Schmidt map that was done last year by Jack Jack and John for us. That VASL map is not as elegant as what you've set up, Al.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Guys will be guys

Seriously Jackson, who are you? Within an hour of Schmidt arrival you’ve got a campaign game started?!? Are you real or just some made up persona? You are an ASL player extraordinaire! I’m much impressed.

And thanks again for these awesome AAR’s. Much much appreciated by guys like me that are in the “someday I’ll play more” camp.

Seems like you got the gif border in place around the map using the HTML placeholder of the overlay extension. I’m always wondering if my instructions are adequate. They always make sense to me but then that’s not what matters.

Enjoy the Schmidt out of your campaign and thanks in advance for the future AAR’s.

Al

BTW, am I the first to post a cheesy “awe Schmidt” pun?
Heya Al, I am in the "I really should cut down my playing and do something more productive with my life" camp. Moderation has never been my strong suit as I have the personality of a fanatic.

But from what I heard Al, you are the real ASL player extraordinaire. A real ASL community patriarch.

Thanks very much for your kind words. Your work and the work of others with VASL made my AARs possible and really made my AARs shine. As Rick stated, this is picture is a teaser and is from my playtesting of the CG.

As I stated in my other post, I am starting to wonder if I can be part of the (VASL graphic) solution - map/ counters. Checking out "Ye Olde Book" at the moment.

Happy New Year sir - all the very best to you and yours. Thank you so very much for your work with VASL.

Warm regards,
Jack

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are the VASL maps available for this? Looking at BFP website and didnt see them in the downloads.

Thanks

Chad

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got my Objective: Schmit yesterday and opened it up fondled the bits & pieces.

It's the usual high quality BFP product so I'm not going to regurgitate the usual praze for all the good and great things in this package.

I'll go right to personal preference wish for. I don't like glossy paper maps. I prefer the paper maps that come with the usual MMP module. Is there a copyright thing involved with this presentation of the paper used for maps? I don't mind the rules on the glossy paper as much as the maps bother me. Or maybe it's the thickness of the paper that is at the heart of the matter, because even brand new ,the maps ,look like the floods in them are showing wear?

csiemers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got mine today. Please, please in future stamp a "Do Not Bend" on the package as my postal person jammed it into my mailbox. Luckily no damage this time.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are the 5-3-7s on the sheet representing inexperienced pioneers?
Essentially. For both the Germans and Americans, they threw available bodies into the fight and what happened to be around were engineers. But these guys were more accustomed to building roads than shooting weapons.
I got my Objective: Schmit yesterday and opened it up fondled the bits & pieces.

It's the usual high quality BFP product so I'm not going to regurgitate the usual praze for all the good and great things in this package.

I'll go right to personal preference wish for. I don't like glossy paper maps. I prefer the paper maps that come with the usual MMP module. Is there a copyright thing involved with this presentation of the paper used for maps? I don't mind the rules on the glossy paper as much as the maps bother me. Or maybe it's the thickness of the paper that is at the heart of the matter, because even brand new ,the maps ,look like the floods in them are showing wear?
Noted on the glossy paper for the maps. We'll try matte for the next set of maps for our next product (Corregidor) and see how that works out. Since this is our first HASL product, we are learning some on this as we go, both from a CG rules standpoint and other items that ought to be done. So we'll take all constructive criticism in our attempt to make what we hope is a great product, even better.

Last edited:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I would have to agree that I am not a fan of the glossy maps. Glossy aside, I do like the maps, but, I do wish they were matte.

Though its not like it will stop me from playing on them..............

Peace

Roger

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Are the 5-3-7s on the sheet representing inexperienced pioneers?
The Germans basically had to categories of Pioniere:

1. Assault Enginieers - the type to overcome fortified positions of the enemy.
2. Construction Engineers - the type to build bridges, fix roads, set up fortifications, bunkers, etc.

The latter were normally not intended to be used as combat troops but were rather specialized construction troops.

My bet is that the 5-3-7 are intended to represent the latter type.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Noted on the glossy paper for the maps. We'll try matte for the next set of maps for our next product (Corregidor) and see how that works out. Since this is our first HASL product, we are learning some on this as we go, both from a CG rules standpoint and other items that ought to be done. So we'll take all constructive criticism in our attempt to make what we hope is a great product, even better.
I would also be generally in favor of matte maps. I have not yet laid my hands on OS (LFT does not yet carry it...), so I can't specifically judge the OS maps yet. But in general, glossy maps in my personal experience tend to be more prone to glare, which tends to be of more consequence for large HASL game-play and to be thinner, this latter observation might somewhat random based on glossy maps that I happen to own. Personally, I also prefer the haptic feel of matte over glossy. A (very) minor factor: I think that counters on matte paper shift a tad less compared to glossy paper if you accidentally bump against the table.

von Marwitz

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got mine today. Please, please in future stamp a "Do Not Bend" on the package as my postal person jammed it into my mailbox. Luckily no damage this time.
Mine too. Looked like hell as it came out of the mailbox. The contents were OK though.

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mine too. Looked like hell as it came out of the mailbox. The contents were OK though.
Mine also. In addition the flat rate mailer was torn and it was put into my own mailbox where it got rained on. Fortunately, the shrink protected the contents.