Korea: The Forgotten War...

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
So, just un-boxed my Forgotten War (FW). The contents at first glance look pretty
Having said that, would any of the designers/developers like to address the question on how many KW-era scenarios we are likely to see in the near future (e.g., the next Journal) that expand upon some of the unused counters in the box? For example, none of the current FW scenarios feature the British Royal Marine Commandos or the American Airborne counters. Are there plans to provide scenarios for these units in the relatively near future?
That reminds me of what Pitman wrote in his review of Journal 12.

"Seven more pages are devoted to a historical article by Andrew Hershey on Korean Marines, a small military force that at its height numbered only around 4,000 men. If such a lengthy article for such a minor unit seems a bit like overkill, it seems that the same overkill will exist in the ASL Korean War module, because this article reveals that this tiny force will not only get its own squad type, it will get two different squad types. This itself suggests that the Korean module design will be dominated by the bean-counter school of ASL typified by the portrayal of the USMC rather than the design-for-effect school of ASL exemplified by John Hill that still governs most ASL squad types."

I guess the best that can be said is that there was space left on the counter sheet. :)
And in fairness counter inflation is a trend that started already some time ago, both at MMP and in TPPs.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, I am going to keep whining, but my copy was "dispatched" 8 days ago and still nothing. I am going to keep whining until one of you fine gents (or ladies) gives me their copy just to shut me up. :)

I have sent multiple emails to MMP requesting a tracking number and all I have gotten was crickets. I don't know if they send USPS or UPS. Throw this growing impatient dog a bone.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am not in a particular hurry myself.

But while we are waiting, any chance the VASL maps and extensions are already in he works? Many thx as always.

Rgds Jack
PS this VASL hard to learn?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Quick question - with the advent of the US 6^3-6-7 paratrooper squad, will we only see the 7^3-4-7 in Korea to represent engineers? Or perhaps we won't see them at all?
The American 7-4-7/3-3-7 MMC are not represented on the W. NATIONAL CAPABILITIES CHART - so presumably they should not be used/present in KW scenarios. Of course, a scenario designer can put what he wants in a scenario.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ok, I am going to keep whining, but my copy was "dispatched" 8 days ago and still nothing. I am going to keep whining until one of you fine gents (or ladies) gives me their copy just to shut me up. :)

I have sent multiple emails to MMP requesting a tracking number and all I have gotten was crickets. I don't know if they send USPS or UPS. Throw this growing impatient dog a bone.
I have heard that your copy was sent to Casablanca "for the waters," but I may have been misinformed.

JR

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not in a particular hurry myself.

But while we are waiting, any chance the VASL maps and extensions are already in he works? Many thx as always.

Rgds Jack
PS this VASL hard to learn?
Hi Jackson,

Re your PS, to which part of VASL do you refer; playing, coding, board/counter/overlay conversions, posting...? They’re all different and while not hard to learn, are fiddly enough that it takes a commitment of time. That’s just my opinion and keep in mind I’m not the brightest bulb among the Christmas tree lights.

Al

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andy,

Thank you for the very thorough response! I look forward to working my way through the current set of FW scenarios, but was just curious about future plans given the wealth of material in the box.

Also, thanks for the effort you and the rest of the guys obviously put into creating the module!
....Bill
Bill,

Follow up. I spoke with Keith yesterday and he has the new SP (or Rally Point was it) already...and in the write up portion there is news that Evan has a KW theme pack lined up for 2018 (no exact date given other than the year itself). I don't have the SP/RP itself so I can't quote you line for line. But the evidence is surely that more support scenarios are coming soon from the SP gang.

I would wager this has to be true across the ASL design community at large.

As I believe I wrote elsewhere, or perhaps it was in a PM to a GS member, the scenario in the box are not the end, they are merely just the token beginning (as were those in BV). The real essence of FW are the tools in the box, counters and rules and Chap H, to allow the many fine designers out there to contribute to the "war effort."

Andy

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bill,

Follow up. I spoke with Keith yesterday and he has the new SP (or Rally Point was it) already...and in the write up portion there is news that Evan has a KW theme pack lined up for 2018 (no exact date given other than the year itself). I don't have the SP/RP itself so I can't quote you line for line. But the evidence is surely that more support scenarios are coming soon from the SP gang.

I would wager this has to be true across the ASL design community at large.

As I believe I wrote elsewhere, or perhaps it was in a PM to a GS member, the scenario in the box are not the end, they are merely just the token beginning (as were those in BV). The real essence of FW are the tools in the box, counters and rules and Chap H, to allow the many fine designers out there to contribute to the "war effort."

Andy
Andy,

Thanks for the further update! I appreciate the additional information.

Bill

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We (the designers) thought that early war Korean Marines with Japanese weapons should be a different kind of squad than the Korean Marines later in the war, who were trained and equipped on the USMC model. That is a reasonable design choice IMHO.

That reminds me of what Pitman wrote in his review of Journal 12.

"Seven more pages are devoted to a historical article by Andrew Hershey on Korean Marines, a small military force that at its height numbered only around 4,000 men. If such a lengthy article for such a minor unit seems a bit like overkill, it seems that the same overkill will exist in the ASL Korean War module, because this article reveals that this tiny force will not only get its own squad type, it will get two different squad types. This itself suggests that the Korean module design will be dominated by the bean-counter school of ASL typified by the portrayal of the USMC rather than the design-for-effect school of ASL exemplified by John Hill that still governs most ASL squad types."

I guess the best that can be said is that there was space left on the counter sheet. :)
And in fairness counter inflation is a trend that started already some time ago, both at MMP and in TPPs.

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the complement.

I certainly hope that this new module inspires our best ASL scenario designers to create Korean War scenarios.

So, just un-boxed my Forgotten War (FW). The contents at first glance look pretty exceptional. To tell the truth, I was only somewhat excited about the thought of stepping outside the WWII timeframe, but the finished product has me pretty excited about the opportunities.

Having said that, would any of the designers/developers like to address the question on how many KW-era scenarios we are likely to see in the near future (e.g., the next Journal) that expand upon some of the unused counters in the box? For example, none of the current FW scenarios feature the British Royal Marine Commandos or the American Airborne counters. Are there plans to provide scenarios for these units in the relatively near future?

Thanks. And again, the initial impressions are extremely positive!

Bill

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's pretty questionable that even in WWII the 7-4-7 actually models American paratroopers well. But certainly in the Korean War they had rifles, not SMG, so 6-6-7 makes sense.

Quick question - with the advent of the US 6^3-6-7 paratrooper squad, will we only see the 7^3-4-7 in Korea to represent engineers? Or perhaps we won't see them at all?

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
It's pretty questionable that even in WWII the 7-4-7 actually models American paratroopers well. But certainly in the Korean War they had rifles, not SMG, so 6-6-7 makes sense.
Thanks to Ken & Klas. There certainly has always been some doubt about the values of the 7-4-7, but too much thought/analysis just leads to insanity, as oft on this stage hath been shown. Nevertheless, waving goodbye to our original Paratrooper counter does leave one a bit misty-eyed.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
...in the write up portion there is news that Evan has a KW theme pack lined up for 2018 (no exact date given other than the year itself).

...But the evidence is surely that more support scenarios are coming soon from the SP gang.

Andy
Sure, but none will feature searchlights. ;)

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What about the rest of us designers? :( Stay away from Korea? :mad::D:D:D

Ok, ok, I'll get started on my Normandy HASL instead.............geez;)
You misunderstood him. He is not saying designers in the module box...he is saying designers at large.