So what scenarios have you played Recently?

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just wrapped up A33 The Cossacks are Coming with my regular VASL opponent, Kevin Russell. The forces are just a bit stranger than a Star Wars bar scene, with "German" Cossack cavalry, Croatian infantry and Tito's partisans. Started out very poorly, as my MMG, HMG and 81mm mortar all broke or were captured by turn 2. My partisans did just enough to hang on, delaying the Cossacks and concentrating against the Croatians.

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played DB133 A Deadly Landscape last night. My Russian sniper was hot and gave me an early lead. However, I failed to concentrate my efforts on one side of the gully and was overwhelmed by the German reinforcements. Cool little Stalingrad fight on the RB map.

Rob

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still think there is a market segment for scenarios with complex VC. Because i am becoming tired of unimaginative VCs and scenarios which look way too much like others that were produced in the past.

I concede that complex VC should nevertheless allow players to "feel" how they are doing in the scenario. In the case of TX-8, the VCs seem clear to me, however they require, if wishing to get that feel, a rather tedious count of VPs, which might not be of the liking of everyone (a bit like battlefield integrity lol). That aspect would not necessary lead me to reject the scenario outright.

Bedburg Bite is a very good design, yet it might not be easy to feel whether you are doing good or bad during the course of the game (barring major cock-ups on one side of course).
I was going to use BB as an example of thinking that I was going too far with the 'point salad' VCs. But everyone seemed to like it during playtest, so maybe it's an example of 'just enough'. And just as you are tired of playing scenarios with same 'ol same ol' VCs, some of us are weary of designing them like that. It's not much fun for me either.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played DB133 A Deadly Landscape last night. My Russian sniper was hot and gave me an early lead. However, I failed to concentrate my efforts on one side of the gully and was overwhelmed by the German reinforcements. Cool little Stalingrad fight on the RB map.

Rob
Worthy Nor'Easter scenario Rob?

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And just as you are tired of playing scenarios with same 'ol same ol' VCs, some of us are weary of designing them like that. It's not much fun for me either.
Like I keep telling Ken, the box is your friend. It is OK to venture outside the box, but not TOO far, and be sure you know the way home.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Holding the Hotton Bridge SP2 Yes, SP2! We comb the archives for Bulge Fest. Good scenario too. I lost the bazooka on it's first shot, But killed the SPW 251/2 when it parked inside of a sneaky los from the 40mm Bofors. Nice tank duels, with German firepower trying to clear out the defenders on the other side of the river. Personal highlight was taking out a Panther with an M5A1 Stuart. US win with the Stuart, and a 6-6-6 with a .50 in the victory area.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heart of Athena ASL J174 Hard to gain ground in this one, Even with 3 Shermans. Brits had trouble at first. Partisan sewer movement, and well done sulking made the English have to fulfill the VC in the last 3 turns or loose. I was able to hold H4 and J5. Came down to the proverbial last CC roll. Good, unusual, Urban fight.

Also stopped 3 tram-bombs with the FB, but none of them exploded. Oh well...

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Worthy Nor'Easter scenario Rob?
It might be a little dicey, but most tourney scenarios are. At first my opponent thought it was pro-Russian, but by the end he thought it was pro-German.... I think it is balanced.....but if one sides sniper goes off......who knows.

Rob

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today we played U31 - The Front In Flames from the 'Turning the Tide' AP. Although it is only 4 turns and a small number of all infantry on both sides, I would highly recommend this scenario as having a high re-playability value due to the random secret entry points for each player. It was also interesting to be playing on board 1 after it had been transformed in to all wood buildings. I managed to win (just barely) as the Germans in the final CCph.

I enjoyed this scenario much more than I thought I would, and I think that this would be an excellent introductory scenario for new ASL players. I'm rather surprised that I have not heard any discussion of this scenario previously.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Pretty hard to use effectively the tram-bombs as Partisan, especially as partisans may be harmed by the blast of their own trams. At least, they soak up some FB firepower.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I would suggest that you play 'At The Very Beginning (on board 1), another little scenario with a very fun design that plays out great. Two players once played it 7 times in a row on 5h, have myself played it more than 20 times.

Use it sometimes as an introduction scenario to new players that have showed some intrest in ASL.

Today we played U31 - The Front In Flames from the 'Turning the Tide' AP. Although it is only 4 turns and a small number of all infantry on both sides, I would highly recommend this scenario as having a high re-playability value due to the random secret entry points for each player. It was also interesting to be playing on board 1 after it had been transformed in to all wood buildings. I managed to win (just barely) as the Germans in the final CCph.

I enjoyed this scenario much more than I thought I would, and I think that this would be an excellent introductory scenario for new ASL players. I'm rather surprised that I have not heard any discussion of this scenario previously.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty hard to use effectively the tram-bombs as Partisan, especially as partisans may be harmed by the blast of their own trams. At least, they soak up some FB firepower.
Yeah, and other British firepower.

My opponent’s plan was to set them off next to his fortified buildings, and hope to ride out the explosion.

As much trouble as I was having with the fortified buildings, it might have worked.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Two games in the bag already for 2018, an old Dispatches scenario and something from the new AP both on my blog

Ian

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Yesterday at the Philly ASL group meeting at Games Keep in West Chester, Milan Marvelous and I played The Battle of Mali Spadarit SP 275 from the latest Schwerpunkt pack with my Elite Alpine Italians storming the Board 50 large hill defended by a small garrison of Greeks with a MMG and 65* INF gun. Milan had most of his MMCs and dummy stacks along the southern slope and the gun HIP in one of the 4 brush hexes. With only 4.5 Turns, the I-talians needed to get going and I was able to use the woods to move up the hillside but Milan did get a laugh when two of my squads carrying two Lt MTR "anvils" moved into his MMG bore sight hex and he rolled a KIA on both of them! Things evened out when he chose to Prep his K4 MMG on my juicy kill stack and not AM back a hex off the hill crest and I was able break the MG squad who routing away leaving behind the MG for my future capture. I had smaller forces flanking around both hill flanks mostly to prevent Greek concealment gain but also to get in behind the hill as I knew the rear hill hex would be the final showdown (which it was). The bulk of my Italians heading for the more (what looked like) lightly defended northwest side of the hill and eventually found the HIP gun in M5. Unfortunately for the Greeks the gun crew suffered an unlucky boxcar CR through a minor MC check and the gun was out after only a few shots. Like all good scenarios it wend down to the last CC DR in the last turn in the Greek redoubt in K4 with the Italians taking the hill. Afterwords I went back and read the SP "cheat sheet" notes they always provide and realized we both completely missed A25.9 (Greeks get +1 broken morale vs Italy)! Oh well, it was still a fun little tourney scenario of an obscure battle with the minors.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Afterwords I went back and read the SP "cheat sheet" notes they always provide and realized we both completely missed A25.9 (Greeks get +1 broken morale vs Italy)!
This is easy to miss give players do not often play these two protagonists. Good that it was in the cheat sheet.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heart of Athena ASL J174 Hard to gain ground in this one, Even with 3 Shermans. Brits had trouble at first. Partisan sewer movement, and well done sulking made the English have to fulfill the VC in the last 3 turns or loose. I was able to hold H4 and J5. Came down to the proverbial last CC roll. Good, unusual, Urban fight.

Love this scenario. Pete really nailed it. Had a great playing or this with Bret Hildebrand a year ago at WO. Pulled out a win with the Brits, but it seems to almost always be 2-2 going into the last turn. Makes for an exciting and very different, game.

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished up SP272 Statue of Liberty Attacks the other day. My Japs managed to take out 3 American tanks(two crits and a snake TK) and deliberately immobilize another. This left the Americans short on the EVP needed. This one could have gone either way. Cool little scenario set on Guam in 1944.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wrote about that scenario in Banzai 19.1. Curious whether my analysis jibes with your experience.
http://texas-asl.com/banzai/banzai19_1.pdf
Matt,

I had a little time this afternoon, so I read your scenario analysis in Banzai 19.1 As the German attacker, all I can say is that my setup looked exactly like yours in the article. A small force w/ leader entered along the top edge, with the rest entering on or below the road hexes. I think that your Russian gun placement was better than where it was in our scenario - one of the VC hexes. I think it got off one shot the entire game before being overwhelmed, due its limited field of fire.

Sebastiano's placement of the armored cupola in the crossroads in the center of town was a very solid choice, and its small size foiled me all game long. Damn squads couldn't even take it out in CC despite several advantages.

Alan

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Matt,

I had a little time this afternoon, so I read your scenario analysis in Banzai 19.1 As the German attacker, all I can say is that my setup looked exactly like yours in the article. A small force w/ leader entered along the top edge, with the rest entering on or below the road hexes. I think that your Russian gun placement was better than where it was in our scenario - one of the VC hexes. I think it got off one shot the entire game before being overwhelmed, due its limited field of fire.

Sebastiano's placement of the armored cupola in the crossroads in the center of town was a very solid choice, and its small size foiled me all game long. Damn squads couldn't even take it out in CC despite several advantages.

Alan

Glad you read it! I guess great minds think alike. Those CoS scenarios rock. Try Steamroller. I think I playtested that ages ago.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Glad you read it! I guess great minds think alike. Those CoS scenarios rock. Try Steamroller. I think I playtested that ages ago.
I second Steamroller, played it recently as the Germans, lots of toys but a lot of defence to cut through

Ian