New members introduce yourself here

bluedogpete

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi there and hello from the UK

I came across my old Squad Leader box (from 80's) and dusted it off - that set me going. And then with a search on the internet I found VASL/VASSAL that I hadn't looked at in years. It looks great and has some wonderful support. That was it, I purchased my copy of the ASL 2ed Rulebook. And here I am.

I'm ploughing through the various tutorials and guides and gradually getting a hold on the 'tome'.

Do you guys have any recommendations for what scenarios to progress through as a 'beginner'? I have begun with the Classic set and know the Guards Counterattack from Squad Leader (with slight ASL modifications).

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello Bluedogpete!
Welcome back to the fold! Since you know SL Scen 1,I would recommend ASL A, "Guards Counterattack". This way, you go from the known to the unknown. There are only MGs for support weapons, you already have a commissar (no need to exchange anything) and you quickly learn how to properly use the German LMGs (FP of 3 instead of 2).

Also, have you found Jim Stahler's "8 steps to ASL"? You can find it here: http://www.texas-asl.com/download/Stahler_ASL_Tutorials.zip

It's much better system than the old Chapter K (Which Jim did up as well).

Cheers

David

bluedogpete

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi David

Thanks for your suggestions. I have got the tutorials by Jim Stahler. Working my way through them and Chapter K. Finding it hard to learn gradually - keep sneeking peeks at Tanks/Guns and other stuff. But it's clear to me that knowledge of this game is built up layer upon layer.

Pete

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I also find that by playing someone, face to face or via VASL with Skype, you will gain an understanding for the rules more easily.

David

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I also find that by playing someone, face to face or via VASL with Skype, you will gain an understanding for the rules more easily.

David
This.

Look out for Patrick Ireland who has made it his calling to train new players on VASL.
There is a remarkable lot of youtube tutorials out there, too.

von Marwitz

bluedogpete

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks guys for your pointers.

I've rattled off a couple of contact emails to Patrick Ireland and hope to receive a positive response.
(Guess I'm going to have to replace my old/battered/KIA 2006 webcam)

Pete

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have used webcam and real dice with an opponent until we got tired of the setup and revert back to random.org - just cause we wanna use our BattleDice!!!!!

bluedogpete

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Never entered my head that anyone would use a webcam because they wanted to use real dice! Sheesh!

And there's me thinking it was because you wanted to reveal your good looks :)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Never entered my head that anyone would use a webcam because they wanted to use real dice! Sheesh!

And there's me thinking it was because you wanted to reveal your good looks :)
Too much trouble .. now you gotta put pants on, unless you can remember not to get up for water.

Pieter76

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Not really new here, rather back after a hiatus of a few years. After my regular FTF opponent quit the game, I only got to play like 3 games in 2 years, which sucks because you forget so much rules that you can hardly enjoy a scenario. So I also stopped playing for nearly 2 years. (I didn't play VASL back then)

But 2 weeks ago I had to move my ASL stuff to another room and after moving and organising it, something clicked in my head and I started reading some old journals again, and before I knew I was reading the rulebook ☺ and I installed VASL.

In the meantime I already have a VASL game going with Chris NL and really enjoying it.

So I hope to become an active player again and be an active member on the forum. And maybe one day find a FTF opponent again, because that is still my favourite way to play.

Regards,
Pieter

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome (back) here !
VASL really opens gaming's perspectives.

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
hi guys, countermanCX here.

Awhile ago up until 2008, I was pert' active on this forum, I did a lot of work for VASL v5, & made some several *.mdx extension files for VASL.

Well now I'm looking to get back into the ASL hobby, I'm about to buy a Win10 laptop, I'd like to know what I'll need to do to access VASL on the new box & get back into the scene.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly

Awhile ago up until 2008, I was pert' active on this forum, I did a lot of work for VASL v5, & made some several *.mdx extension files for VASL.

Well now I'm looking to get back into the ASL hobby, I'm about to buy a Win10 laptop, I'd like to know what I'll need to do to access VASL on the new box & get back into the scene.
welcome back!!
VASL now is much better than 2008 and that problem (do you remember what I asked you before you disappeared?) has been solved.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Welcome back!

Check out vasl.info in the net. You will find almost everything there to get back into VASL. Onlysome maps and a few extensions (mainly for CH) are to be found somewhere else - General Mayhem on this forum can point you to them.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Sgt. Knispel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and new to ASL. In fact I've been soloing the first two BV scenarios for a month but that's as far as I've gotten. I posted over on Opponents wanted, looking for someone to play my first game of ASL with and I'm excited to learn from all the experienced players I see posting on the forums here.

Cheers

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi Sarge,
Welcome here !
I hope that this place will help you find opponents and resources.
The Rules and errata folder is the best place to ask rules questions and to find answers.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Welcome to all the new guys and welcome back to those making a return!