Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Coming up through SL to GI probably made 'learning' ASL easier, more a job of grokking the differences while adding little details along the way.
Just reading the rules is OK, however seeing the rules in action is what makes sense of it all.

That's one of the great things about the system, there's always something left to learn, however small it may be.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm I guess the comparison pics did not show up. Basically what I did was I took the map to a printer, they scanned it in and printed me a new copy. The copy is on thick paper vs the original which is on thin paper. The color on the copy is more vibrant then the original. original is on the right.

oto 6.jpg 0t0 4.jpg

What do you mean, reprinted? (I'm having a hard time figuring how a copy could look much better than the original it is a copy of!)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
This is clearly something I'd like to do: find a printing place that will do a good job of this kind - either on thick enough paper, or even laminated. It's probably not that hard to find - I just need to make me do a little bit of searching :)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The cost is expensive, it costed me around $300.00 to have the map scanned in and printed.

Scott
This is clearly something I'd like to do: find a printing place that will do a good job of this kind - either on thick enough paper, or even laminated. It's probably not that hard to find - I just need to make me do a little bit of searching :)

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The cost is expensive, it costed me around $300.00 to have the map scanned in and printed.

Scott
Holy crap! I got the same map scanned for less than $5. I have not had it printed out though, but my OT map printed on very nice banner paper only cost me $30. Chicago is EXPENSIVE.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Slightly off topic, but YESTERDAY in ASL I scanned my scenarios and Chapter H pages from my new copy of Yanks!, as well as the BoF pack I ordered. Once my copy of HP shows up, I will start scanning the ASLRB onto pdf. Once done that, I will start editing errata into it. In keeping with past experience, I will finish at exactly the same time as the eASLRB is offered, rendering my work moot.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Haha - I’ll never actually be finished, silly! They’ll never run out of errata...

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
They run out of errata whenever "they" run out of time.

Time isn't after us it's the same as it ever was...[EXC: near a black hole].
It isn't just near black holes, any mass will do, time runs faster at your head than at your feet, though by only a tiny amount. Apparently someone calculated that the Earth's core is about 30 months younger than the crust.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It isn't just near black holes, any mass will do, time runs faster at your head than at your feet, though by only a tiny amount. Apparently someone calculated that the Earth's core is about 30 months younger than the crust.
Huh. I wonder what explains the time dilation in my hips/knees/back then, they tend to feel much older than the rest of me. Or maybe I was in the Infantry too long...

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Huh. I wonder what explains the time dilation in my hips/knees/back then, they tend to feel much older than the rest of me. Or maybe I was in the Infantry too long...
Do you walk on your feet or upside down on your hands?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... Apparently someone calculated that the Earth's core is about 30 months younger than the crust.
<cough> "someone" had a really* slow day...or was given this to calculate as a form of punishment.

I double checked, my head and feet are both running in time of each other, letting the days go by.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I wish I could walk on my hands, It'd mean I was in way better shape than I am now. Walking on your hands is hard!

Thinking about it, I now realize something about my play. As Paul points out, time is dilated (moves more slowly) under the warping of space time near mass. Space itself is also dilated - measurements are shortened in proximity to mass (both also happen as speeds increase, but that is not important here). The key here is that the ASLRB is the most massive ruleset around, distorting reality all around it - just ask my wife!

So when my opponents complain about my slow play, it's only from their perspective, influenced by the time dilation induced by the rulebook's mass*. From where I sit next to the rulebook, I'm going at a normal rate! Same for my mistakes regarding LOS estimation on VASL. To me, it looks clear, but that's because my measurements are distorted relative to the non-dilated measurements of VASL. The Rulebook's mass dilates both time and space.

* Some may say that my opponents are also probably using the ASLRB, so the dilations should be equal, and thus differences in perspective would not exist. This does happen, and probably explains those instances where my opponents don't complain about my speed, and my LOS estimates are better. And of course, these differences are non-existent in ftf play. Any complaints about my slow play, therefore, can confidently be attributed to my opponents' use of the Pocket Rulebook.