CG III Red Barricades

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
A New CG started, my opponent play the Germans, 4 Germ Coy charge towards the Barricades with the support of artillery and Stuka. See link for pictures from Stalingrad.
http://forum.aslsweden.com//index.php?showtopic=3509

Russians had 5 Coy on the defence line with the support of 2 AT-Guns and two +80mm battalion artillery.

The battle lasted 8 Game Turns.
Russian Cas: 27 sq-eq, 1 leader, 1 Gun, 5 SWs.
German Cas: 17.5 sq-eq, 4 leaders, 4 SWs.

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The report of the second day of the battle 18/10 is available (see link in the first post of this thread).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Except for the C13 structure having changed sides, looks like a fairly standard 2nd day situation. The loss of that building, except to a major effort by the Germans to take it on day one, is unconscionable. Where is the Commissar with his pistol when you want him? The same must be said for the loss of buildings Z1 & K10 on the 2nd day. The Russians must be, as Commissar Kruschev has said, "Shitting their pants" at the approach of the Fascist hordes, to give away such valuable ground to them. A lot of good killing ground has been lost to the invaders and looks pretty good for the Germans right now. The Russians had better man up and hold on to at least some important positions! :nod: (looks fun as always)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you do not burn down the upper levels, the Germans with their tons of HMG's will seriously hamper any Russian movement and blow away any russki that in LOS. You as the Russians want to force the Germans to slog through the factory's.

Why is this?

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you do not burn down the upper levels, the Germans with their tons of HMG's will seriously hamper any Russian movement and blow away any russki that in LOS. You as the Russians want to force the Germans to slog through the factory's.
Thank you!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I am fairly certain that Mel (and his opponent) is using their Red Barricades Leaflet House Rules, where Kindling is NA. On the other hand, IIRC, the number of MMG/HMG the Germans can accumulate is also reduced (quite a lot?) compared to the standard RB rules. Melvin can correct me if I am wrong.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Klas the leaflet house rules replace the HMG in German Coys and Russian Gd/Inf coys with a LMG. In addition Russian conscript coys are increased to 15 squads instead of 12 and all SW's are forfeited.

In my opinion the game plays better as it reduces the high number of death stacks, albeit they are still available on a smaller scale

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm curious if Melvin has ever tried any other campaign games and what he thinks of them.
In particular Valor of the Guards and will he buying Red October...or is he a total Barrikady loyalist?

I think most CG's would benefit from fewer MMG/HMG's...

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
RED BARRICADES
Operation Hubertus 1 time
The Barrikady 85+ (13 different opponents)
Kampfgruppe Peiper
Clash at Stoumont 7 times (4 different opp)
The Bridge at Cheneux 13 times (5 different opp)
Decision at La Glieze 3 times (2 diff opp)
A Bridge too Far 6 times (4 different opp)
Pegasus Bridge 25+ (8 different opp)
Primasole Bridge 1 time
Operation Veritable 1 time
Valor of Guards CG IV 1 time (pro-Germ 80-20)

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would say Melvin is a foremost expert on Red Barricades, lol.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Lol, and I got the document to prove it , only 9 pages long containing 64745 words.

I would say Melvin is a foremost expert on Red Barricades, lol.
A handful of other players have also contributed with their insights of expertis, it just must be so since they also got hung up on a wire in Stalingrad.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have a couple of questions here Melvin. 1st: Do you have a house rule that allows you to place a Roadblock in a non-road hex (e.g. the Gully towards the north)? #2. Wouldn't it have been more cost effective in FPP to use say an A-T Ditch to block the V8 road rather than two Roadblocks? This especially true since the roadblocks will give the advancing Germans a wall to hide behind and blocks LOS into the northern end of the board for any Russians firing from ground level. I certainly like the way you've adapted your counters for easier recognition-a man of true tastes (I do likewise for several types of counters, especially to denote the difference in Berserk and Heroic SMC)! You sure have whetted my appetite for another go at RB! All the best & keep 'em coming!

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Hi,
The Roadblock in the Gully placement is a rule from ch O that allows it (i.e., no house rule).

The Roadblocks have the benefit of being HIP at start and Only provade the German infantry with a +1 TEM instead a +4 TEM vs Russian OBA, units may also rout behind the routblocks. The A-T Ditch have its benefits too but since the German will sooner or later take control of the area I prefer to lose control of the Roadblocks instead.

Yes counter improvements is great during play and hands-on for increased speed of play.
Here is the link to the ASL Counter Improvements
http://forum.aslsweden.com//index.php?showtopic=3215

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
20/10, Day 4, completed. See link above for photos and casualty stats.