So what Starter Kit Scenario have you played recently?

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished S3 Simple Equations. Came down to the wire. Last CC in a building hex gave me 25 on the last turn for victory.

Kaiax33

Reaction score
First name
Kai
Country
llUnited States
Just finished S8 - 88's at Zon with Pat. I had the Amis pretty much locked down with decent and overlapping fields of fire, but they made a push on the last turn. Would have had me on exit points, but the 9-2 leader who was making a last ditch "run for the border" failed his MC by a single digit on the last hex before exit....and came up short. German victory!

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
I was expecting the company of Robin and Roy (another new ASLSK Taiwanese player that Robin discovered) this morning, and had it in mind to play some 3-player ASLSK. A good opportunity to get in a playing of S-020 "Joseph 351". But it wasn't to be, as Robin was feeling unwell.

Nonetheless, Roy showed up and since he told me that he'd played 4 ASLSK scenarios, I thought we'd be best to play S-008 "Ad Hoc At Chef-Du-Pont". After that Roy was keen to learn about ordinance, in particular with myself using the guns. So I chose S-014 "88's At Zon", myself playing the Germans, and Roy getting the Americans. He would actually get to fire ordinance, too in the form of a few ('44) Bazookas.

S-008 "Ad Hoc At Chef-Du-Pont"

I played Germans and set up a strong western flank, with only 2 447 pickets in the east. A bit of a 'Schlieffen' style; hit the Ostberg Force hard at the start, so as to be able to put more resources into stopping the Gavin-Maloney Force later. In the face of this, Roy's Ostberg Force moved cautiously at the start, but Roy rolled a 12 on his first MC, wounding the 9-2, who would survive the wound, rally, but succumb to a 2nd wound from a K/1 IFT result. So, my plan somewhat worked - but it was more due to luck, really.

Roy was able to recover from this, helped in no small part by some good MCs, and when my MMG malfunctioned, was able to close the range and eventually overwhelm my defenders, whilst the 8-0 and a 747 slipped off the map on turn 5. My on-the-backfoot-Germans never really looked like exiting a Squad themselves, so Roy's Americans completed the VC's quite handily in the end.

Quite a good effort after losing the 9-2 very early on (and I'd forgotten to give Roy the American balance (add a 7-0), given how important the American leaders are in the Victory conditions.

S-014 "88's At Zon"

Once again I played the defending Germans, but this time remembered to give Roy the balance (add a 7-0). I put the guns in H0 (facing F0) and J0 (facing L0). My infantry role was to simply buy time, survive, and in the end block the exit hexes as best they could.

I was hoping that playing on board W wouldn't be too much of a burden on Roy - I've noticed that hills can take a bit of getting used to for the new players. But he seemed to visualize them pretty well from what I saw. His advance was fairly cautious, and I managed to inflict a number of casualties in the first few turns. When the guns finally introduced themselves during American turn 4, the Americans were hit hard; with both guns getting a K/3 result on key units.

But one of his American squads manages to break 1 gun crew, and the Americans look like they might have half a chance. My crew manages to rally, only to malfunction the gun on its next shot !! In American turn 6 I should have enough FP to cover the exit hexes I cannot occupy, but a cower (12 DR) leaves F0 devoid of residual, and as a result, 2 747 squads exit. This leaves a bit for my remaining 2 squads and crew (with malfunctioned gun) to do. But when a 747 places smoke in K3, I am unable to place residual in L0, and 2 more 747s race away to win the scenario for Roy's Americans once again.

Of course I helped Roy out with a few suggestions here and there, but the real classy move with the smoke in the heat of a tight final turn was all him. Very encouraging signs from the learner - I think Roy will do well !!!

John.

(PS: I couldn't get my photos to upload, but you can see them here: http://twasler.666forum.com/t14-aslsk-action-john-vs-roy)

Last edited:

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Last Sunday morning, I met up with Kang Yu (Ken) for some more ASLSK AFV training. The scenario we chose to play was S-027 "Stand For New Zealand". I played as the attacking Germans, whilst Ken played the British (plus balance).

In my attack, my plan was to wear down the (New Zealand) British so as to simply overwhelm board V. But board U is quite open, and its not easy to move quickly without taking big risks. My progress was slow, and when the reinforcements showed up, it got really difficult. By turn 7, I had to take big risks, but my morale 8 simply wasn't showing up, but unfortunately, plenty of '2' and '3' DRs were showing up on British IFT DRs. When my 10-2 fell to a k/2 result on a 6+0 shot, I knew I wouldn't have any kind of chance to take all the multi-hex stone buildings, and we called it a day. This does look like a tough scenario for the Germans. My 3rd playing of it, and the New Zealanders have won comfortably every time.

Ken did learn a bit more about AFV tactics in ASL, and was able to better gauge the impact of light anti-tank weapons. He also liked the way I used the 50mm mortar as a 'harassing' weapon, putting a DM on broken units sheltering in buildings.

John.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bean and I are playing S60 - Operation Niwi. This is a fun little 4.5 turn scenario with a range of choices and options for both sides and the 2-part victory conditions add some spice.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
He also liked the way I used the 50mm mortar as a 'harassing' weapon, putting a DM on broken units sheltering in buildings.
Note that although 3.2.3 is somewhat subtle about it, the MTR has to achieve a hit to DM the broken units. The unit has to be attacked with FP; it is not enough to make a TH DR. Achieving a hit isn't too hard with a MTR because the TEM is not used as a TH DRM, but it isn't automatic either. The actual result of the effects DR does not matter, but the weapon must achieve a hit.

JR

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In my attack, my plan was to wear down the (New Zealand) British so as to simply overwhelm board V. But board U is quite open, and its not easy to move quickly without taking big risks. My progress was slow, and when the reinforcements showed up, it got really difficult.
On the first turn if the Kiwis have set up spread out, move very quickly at a small section of the defense and overwhelm it. If they have left any clear areas (and guns may be HIP, so you have to be wary), move through those instead. If there is an apparent open entry, use the halfsquads to scout potential hip guns. Note also that the ART pieces may not set up in buildings. The Germans have fairly good smoke grenades, and between that, the +1 defensive DRM of SSR 2, and their large numbers, the Germans should be trying to penetrate the Kiwi defense on board v very aggressively during the first two turns. The Germans should not worry too much about casualties, although leaders may be set up to catch broken units. The Germans need to take big risks to move quickly. Despite having eight turns, the German needs to be very aggressive the first two.

Getting the Kiwi reinforcements a turn early is a big swing in balance too.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Really? Who knew.
I am basing this primarily off how ASL works. The phrasing in ASLSK is, as I said, subtle, but it does allow for the possibility at least. 3.2.3 says, "A broken unit not under DM that ... is attacked by enough FP (taking the possibility of cowering into account) to possibly inflict a NMC is placed under DM." A unit that is not hit is not attacked by any FP because the effects DR is not made. It is also possible that ASLSK was intended to be different. I don't think so, but I don't know. I have submitted a Q&A on the matter in case I am wrong.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the subtly lie in the fact that a Mtr does NOT attack a unit on its TH attempt using Area Target Type, but attacks the Hex. Only once a Hit is achieved are the defending units attacked (thus fulfilling the requirement to place a DM status on already broken units) and there is never a chance of cowering once a Hit is achieved using ordnance. However, since neither ASLSK or ASL seems to want to define an attack, there is room for confusion and/or misapplication.

Tredegar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just Finished playing S15 Hammer to the Teeth. We started this scenario back in March but couldn't finish it until last night. My opponent had the Germans and I had the , historically hapless, Americans of the 106th Infantry Division. The game was our first into the SK2 gun rules so we were trying several options just to learn how to play it. We look at our games as learning curves so we make mistakes. We do, however, through the mistakes, so we can remember what we did wrong. The Germans got off to a great start and were pushing to the objective area. There was little I could really do, but wait. I did get lucky and got a critical hit with my At gun firing HE and getting a critical hit. This helped him break his strong stack and he never could marshal his forces to get me out of the buildings. We plan on playing a three player game with S9 Ambitious Assault with another friend to get his first game in. I will be the Italians and he will play the Americans, my other friend plans on playing the British.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Just curious if anyone has played any scenario from the 2008 Xmass ASLSk design pack.

Not sure if this is still available for download here at Game squad?? I know it is over at
board Game Geek.

Thanks
Joe

Warbear

Reaction score
First name
Ernst
Country
llGermany
Just curious if anyone has played any scenario from the 2008 Xmass ASLSk design pack.

Not sure if this is still available for download here at Game squad?? I know it is over at
board Game Geek.
Do you mean the ASLSK Scenario Design Contest from 2005?
I have played several scenarios 10 years ago.

ASLSK-SDC.jpg

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Last week, I completed a logfile game of S-029 "No Monumental Acclaim" vs Tou Mu (my first game vs him). This is my 4th playing of this scenario, and on this occasion, I played Germans with American balance in effect.

Tou Mu played a good game overall, using smoke frequently, and not taking bad risks with his units. But his 9-2 took a while to impose himself into the game, which left my Germans with the initiative. My MGs spent most of the game in P2 and P1, and in my last turn, I was able to 'block' much of the approaches to p1 (incorporating broken units and a SMC in a 'wall of flesh' - a tactic which impressed Tou Mu; bet he can't wait to try it for himself some time).

S-029-Ami-08-CCPh-jpeg.jpg

Overall, it was a close game for the most part, but I had the resources to put the odds highly in my favor in the last turn. Tou Mu got to see the way to close out an ASL/ASLSK game. Good stuff to learn....

John.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Your endgame mirrors my last playing of this in space and time but I was able to get into the last hex in APh.