Favorite SW and Ordnance in ASL,and why?

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My absolute fav SW is the German LMG. A reliable staple in almost all German OBs. Its only 1pp, gives you fire lane capabilities, has a range of 8 and when paired with a 548 it gives you 8FP at range 4. I love it. I have two runner ups. First runner up is the FT because who doesn't love them. Yes they can deplete on a 10 but you are just as likely to roll a 4 probability wise and a 4 on a 24 sounds sweet to me. An OK AT weapon too. 2nd runner up, the 50mm Japanese knee mortar. Can fire HE and WP @ range 1, has decent smoke and WP depletion #s, ROF of 2 for HE and gets tree bursts. On D, combine it's smoke capabilities w/ a HIP Tank Hunter/DC Hero for a nasty trap.

A favorite Gun is harder for me. The fact of the matter is that because Guns can often set up HIP, they become extremely effective just from the fog of war they can provide. From that perspective, they are all my favorite.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Just a reminder : at ranges 1-2, the Japanese 50mm mortar has its ROF lowered to 1 and Airbursts are NA.
But it is a nice little beast nevertheless.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't forget, too, that the knee mortar's WP comes down dispersed regardless of firing phase, only has a range of 5 hexes, has a lowered ROF of 1, and doesn't get the Airburst modifier ever regardless of range. The smoke has a different range from the printed range, too, 3-10 vs 1-16 for HE and 1-5 for WP.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't forget, too, that the knee mortar's WP comes down dispersed regardless of firing phase, only has a range of 5 hexes, has a lowered ROF of 1, and doesn't get the Airburst modifier ever regardless of range. The smoke has a different range from the printed range, too, 3-10 vs 1-16 for HE and 1-5 for WP.
I always forget about the airbursts. Still, I find it extremely versatile. Dispersed WP is still pretty effective.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
A flamethrower attached to a Crocodile or Japanese squad. Although the fond memory of eliminating around 20 squads with a DC is giving me pause for thought.

Ordnance-wise - My first serious scalp in a tournament was winning Zon with the Wind with two 88L guns which caused absolute and utter mayhem. So, those for me.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The German 17cm K 18. It has a good range. The US M20 75mm Recoilless Rifle. It has a good range too.

JR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curious as to what fellow ASL players favorite SW's and pieces of Ordnance to play with in the game,and why.

SW--the .50cal. HMG Always have had good luck using this piece as it is very effective against a variety of targets (Infantry, unarmored vehicles and light AFV's,and even aircraft.) Helps to get favorable ROF too.

(Would have gone with Japanese 50 MTR but always seem to run out of Special Ammo on first or second DR.)

Ordnance--Russian 203 ART Ok it has no ROF, no IF, and may take a turn to even get a hit on a target. But when this thing hits , it hits hard. Perfect for eastern European urban renewal.

Look forward to hearing other players choices.
SW: IJA 50mm Mtr, followed by Russian 50mm Mtr and then Italian 45mm Mtr in that order. last two would be FT of any country and then the US 50 Cal rounds out top 5.

Ord: Russian 82mm Mtr, followed by German 88LL AA gun followed by Japanese 25mm triple barrel AA gun, #4 goes to the russian 120 mm Mtr and finally the Flakvierling quad 20mm.

How about SMC? My fav is a Commissar, followed by a Japanese leader, followed by a Russian leader ,followed by a German hero and a USMC hero to round those out.

unarmored vehicles:
LVT-1
DUKW
Jeep with 50 cal HMG
Jeep with 30 cal MMG
Chinese truck with 2 x AAMGs.

:)

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
SW: IJA 50mm Mtr, followed by Russian 50mm Mtr and then Italian 45mm Mtr in that order. last two would be FT of any country and then the US 50 Cal rounds out top 5.

Ord: Russian 82mm Mtr, followed by German 88LL AA gun followed by Japanese 25mm triple barrel AA gun, #4 goes to the russian 120 mm Mtr and finally the Flakvierling quad 20mm.

How about SMC? My fav is a Commissar, followed by a Japanese leader, followed by a Russian leader ,followed by a German hero and a USMC hero to round those out.

unarmored vehicles:
LVT-1
DUKW
Jeep with 50 cal HMG
Jeep with 30 cal MMG
Chinese truck with 2 x AAMGs.

I sense you may have thought about this. I do, however, note an uncharacteristic lack of lavender selections.... :)

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
My favourite SW, the US 60mm Lt MTR in 1945, high ROF and can fire WP. 2nd favourite is the US 45 BAZ. Can keep pesky German AFVs at bay and fire WP as well.

Favourite Ordnance, US 81mm MTR with its WP and a 2nd place to the Russian 57LL ATG in 1945 with its APCR. Can be a nasty surprise to even Panthers at close range front facing.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Panzerfausts.

1) Changes the entire VB game and tanks have to respect infantry close in.
2) Extra 16FP shot every now and then.
3) No counters to deal with falling over, falling off, falling out from under concealment.
4) Need some smoke out of your opponents tanks (or yours)? The problem can be solved with a little skill/luck.
5) Cannot be captured except by SSR.

German ATG (88LL type or a 75/76L that is a small target)? Tough to beat and shows up in a good amount of scenarios.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
First runner up is the FT because who doesn't love them. Yes they can deplete on a 10 but you are just as likely to roll a 4 probability wise and a 4 on a 24 sounds sweet to me.
Yes they do deplete on the first roll...

Corrected that for you. ;)

von Marwitz

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Favorite SW: anything with a 3 ROF.

Favorite ordnance: 81/82mm mortars and the German 88mm in its various forms.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Yes they do deplete on the first roll...
People do have a selective memory.
X10 means that, statistically, you deplete one time in six.
I have had FT which blazed without ever getting out of fuel.
I would say that the average number of attacks a FT can make is about three - that is, if the guy carrying survived incoming enemy fire.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
People do have a selective memory.
X10 means that, statistically, you deplete one time in six.
I have had FT which blazed without ever getting out of fuel.
I would say that the average number of attacks a FT can make is about three - that is, if the guy carrying survived incoming enemy fire.
I'm rather of the opinion overall that he best method of attack for a FT toting infantry unit is to assault move out of LOS 1 location from being in LOS and <=2 hexes from a key enemy position, then never move him again. If the enemy takes the bait and holds his fire, no attack DR is ever made and the FT never depletes, while you run circles around his position with everything else. If he shoots at something else moving by, you move the FT up and then zap him with a FT attack DR.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm rather of the opinion overall that he best method of attack for a FT toting infantry unit is to assault move out of LOS 1 location from being in LOS and <=2 hexes from a key enemy position, then never move him again. If the enemy takes the bait and holds his fire, no attack DR is ever made and the FT never depletes, while you run circles around his position with everything else. If he shoots at something else moving by, you move the FT up and then zap him with a FT attack DR.

Pretty much. Sometimes the threat of a FT is all that is needed. Does funny things to opponents. Also, seen them given to 8-0 leaders (when there are plenty to spare) so there are more squads and HSs buzzing around and drawing fire. Then up steps Mr Zippo and flame on!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Except vs Ricky Schoeder

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Moving FT into range and enemy LOS requires some skill indeed.
I know that there is a tradition here to moan about X# weapons being disabled on first shot. But that experience (EXC dice which roll 4, 5 or 6 more frequently than 1, 2 or 3) is typically the bad experience which marks memory.
If you play against me, be sure that I won't just keep my FT as a threat.
I will take the occasion to blast it against that pillbox or Fortified building Location - of course, not recklessly.
Because I know that it will run out of fuel only 17% of the time.
Because 83% possibility of at least a NMC (9 on the 12 IFT column if firing at double range) or a 2MC (on the 24 column) influences my choice much more than the fear of busting my weapon - not speaking of 1MC-NMC even if it Xes on the 24 FP column.
Of course, sometimes I will be proven wrong.
But in the long run, using my FT will make sense much more often than not.

As a side note, I don't see many players say that they refrain from using a PSK which has the same risk of Xing.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Actually, the average number is exactly 6 - though in most games, you're unlikely to get that many.

What this means is, if the game is long enough that you get to fire it until it X'es out, on average it will do so on the 6th shot. Of course, in a real game you're unlikely to be able to fire it that many times - firing a FT as Defensive Fire is rare enough, so it would mean having your FT bearers survive for a long time under what is likely to be heavy fire. And if you do manage this, it's likely you'll be inflicting significant damage on your opponent over time.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
As a side note, I don't see many players say that they refrain from using a PSK which has the same risk of Xing.
For me, the principle is the same for both: Pick the right moment. They're just more obvious with PSKs. Also, PSKs don't have the same kind of area influence as FTs. FTs are a threat that has to be respected. That has value. I won't hesitate to pull the trigger when the moment is right, but I'll use it to bully until it is.