Can bazooka be fired at a "Gun"?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All
Question:
Can a bazooka be fired at a gun. I only see infantry and vehicular targets. If an Artillery weapon is in the open, manned by a crew... can it be fired upon by the bazooka?

Thanks
jpj

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In regular ASL, a BAZ may be fired at a Vehicle or Gun or at Infantry/Calvary receiving wall/building/rubble/pillbox TEM. Never played SK but I'm thinking it's probably similar.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Can a bazooka be fired at a gun. I only see infantry and vehicular targets. If an Artillery weapon is in the open, manned by a crew... can it be fired upon by the bazooka?
PF, BAZ, PIAT and PSK actually fire HEAT ammunition (4.4 ASLSK.EP1). The BAZ section (4.4.1) only mentions Infantry in building and vehicles, but per the Special Ammo and Depletion Numbers rules (6.2) HEAT may be used "against Infantry in buildings or against Guns and vehicles." The attack against a Gun is resolved like an HE attack using the same eight FP column on the IFT as against infantry in a building. It looks as though the BAZ rules overlook the third possibility, but I believe the omission is an oversight not an indication that the BAZ may not make the attack.

JR

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In "Silence that Gun" (ASL 2), the SSRs have been amended in the latest Yanks to include: "The 7.5cm PaK 97/38 can't be eliminated by a BAZ CH", lending credence to JR's interpretation....

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PF, BAZ, PIAT and PSK actually fire HEAT ammunition (4.4 ASLSK.EP1). The BAZ section (4.4.1) only mentions Infantry in building and vehicles, but per the Special Ammo and Depletion Numbers rules (6.2) HEAT may be used "against Infantry in buildings or against Guns and vehicles." The attack against a Gun is resolved like an HE attack using the same eight FP column on the IFT as against infantry in a building. It looks as though the BAZ rules overlook the third possibility, but I believe the omission is an oversight not an indication that the BAZ may not make the attack.

JR
Don't the BAZ rules in ASL also indirectly point you in that direction too? As far as I can tell there's no rule specifically in C13 that tells you a BAZ can attack a Gun except for the very last rule 13.9 which points you to 8.31 where it is mentioned.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In "Silence that Gun" (ASL 2), the SSRs have been amended in the latest Yanks to include: "The 7.5cm PaK 97/38 can't be eliminated by a BAZ CH", lending credence to JR's interpretation....
That is ASL. The question is about ASLSK.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Don't the BAZ rules in ASL also indirectly point you in that direction too? As far as I can tell there's no rule specifically in C13 that tells you a BAZ can attack a Gun except for the very last rule 13.9 which points you to 8.31 where it is mentioned.
The BAZ rules *in ASL* say they attack unarmored targets "on the 8 column of the IFT" [C13.43]. In contrast the BAZ rules *in ASLSK* say that a "BAZ attacks on the 8 column of the IFT if it obtains a hit against Infantry in a building." It does not mention attacks against guns; it would be easy to conclude that attacks against guns are not allowed if one did not connect the various rules. You may want to get out your copy of the ASLSK rules and compare them with the ASL rules to see how it is easier to miss the connection in ASLSK.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There is a second rule which I missed when I read the rules earlier. In 4.4 BAZ are called Shaped Charge Weapons (SCW), and further on it says, "SCW may also be fired at Guns."

JR

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And don't forget the ASLSK wording about IFT effects prior to gun shield application if the result is a KIA/K (Direct Hit).

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah,ever take out a 20mm quad with a ATR? I got Matt Book's Like that once.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yeah,ever take out a 20mm quad with a ATR? I got Matt Book's Like that once.
I believe you cannot do it with a normal ATR but only with a 20mm ATR.

"C13.24 vs PERSONNEL: An ATR can be used against Personnel targets with one FP as Small Arms Fire (no To Hit DR is necessary and therefore it may be used as part of a FG but it has no Long Range capability; i.e., it may not be fired beyond 12 hexes). An ATR leaves no Residual FP even if it attacks as part of a FG. Only 20L (i.e., 20mm) ATR may use the Infantry Target Type and AP HE equivalency."

To target the Gun, the normal ATR would need to use ITT, which is prohibited. With an ATR attacking as Small Arms, you would get a 1MC at best, which can't destroy the Gun.
With a 20mm ATR, you have a HE Equivalency of 2FP, with which you could score a Direct Hit. A DR of 2 would result in a K/1 which is enough for AP to destroy the Gun and its Crew as per C11.52.

"C11.52 AP: AP/APCR/APDS/ATR hits vs a Gun are resolved using the same mechanics as HE hits, but using HE Equivalency (8.31). The Gun and any manning Infantry are destroyed by a CH/any K/KIA result. A MG attacking alone, an ATR attacking as Small Arms, or an ATR/MG attacking as part of a FG, may cause Gun Destruction only as per A9.74."

So conceivably Matt's 20mm FlaK-Vierling should still be alive and kicking...

Edit:
Just noticing, that this is the SK-corner. What I said above is true for ASL. Dunno about SK.

von Marwitz

Last edited: