Broken Ground Design Counters

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Truth be told, that's the point. Making the counter values easily readable from a distance is one of the goals of this whole project.
Interesting, I've always found the counter *art* to be the least visible content on the counters. The numbers, IMO, have almost always been the most visible content on the counter. The vehicle movement type graphics (is that two circles or one oval) or the turret speed (is that a thick line or a thin line) or the AFV/Gun names or images have always been the most frustrating components to me.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I agree that getting the right thickness of the white around the figures can be difficult, I think you got it right, just enough to provide contrast without dominating the figures.

The text, eg 4-4-7, is not quite right. The overall height and width of each character is fine, it's the 'thickness' of each stroke/arc that I am less than enamoured with. Over increasing the thickness takes away from 'interior' black, eg the interior black triangle of a "4" or the interior dots of an "8", so at a distance with with not great eyesight you end up with a greyish white blob. Of course there will always be a distance at which anyone will not be able to read the text on a counter, but delaying that should be the aim.

A very, very minor thing: You use dots "." to separate the 4.4.7 values, I would prefer squares which would be more in line with the conventional dashes in appearance. I suspect that a full 'dash' would take up too much space, but a square would keep with the 'spirit' of existing counters.

I confess that I have been taking little attention of your 1/2" counters compared to your 5/8" ones, AFV and gun data values being my forte.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Paul's re-examination just led to my re-examination, and this question. Are there not going to be Lettered IDs for individual squads? Normally unimportant, there are a fair few scenarios where you must, for example, designate two of your squads as Fanatic/Assault Engineers/etc but the enemy does not know which ones. With nothing to differentiate one squad from another, this could quickly become an issue in-scenario. With no Chinese OOB, at least one need not pre-record Dare-Death squads, or later be able to identify their CR'd HS.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What Paul just said is right. I couldn't figure out why I was not liking the white part of the counters until Paul pointed out what I subconsciously had a problem with. You're going to sell a lot of these when more guys take notice...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If the 5/8" counters were to be enlarged to 1", the hexes of geoboards would have to be larger too, as the distance between opposite vertices is about the same as the diagonal of a 5/8" counter.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Low res, because... reasons. But it gives you a sense of the layout and poses, plus a look at how AE is represented.

german infantry sample 140.png soviet infantry sample 140.png

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Germans look too blue, the blue color looks more french than german. Maybe try a Field grey backround, see how that looks.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Germans look too blue, the blue color looks more french than german. Maybe try a Field grey backround, see how that looks.
The colours will be tweaked at printing. I've found that what's seen on screen, printed on a home laser printer, or printed professionally differ wildly for even the same file. It's a bit of a crap shoot, really.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, I am NOT a salesman, but I 100% embrace this endeavor.
I have been using his counters in playtest form (printed, cut and pasted over existing counters) for over three years now. You all must have seen my pics or seen these in play at previous ASLOKs. When reduced to "ASL size" these counters really do stand out--IMHO. I endorse them wholeheartedly. Wounded leaders, fanatics, heroic leaders and nationality specific berserk counters are top notch. And these are just in playtest format. I await his printed samples and hope to showcase/sell these at ASLOK. Why? Because they are, in my opinion, worth having.
Cardboard toys done well. I will be 61 soon(!). I like to move on from 1983 artwork with a new idea, in color. You may also want to use his fortification counters as well. Eye candy? Absolutely.
Every scenario I play is now cherished more than before, aesthetics enhanced this experience. I love the whole "ASL atmosphere" every time I play.
Toys. I still love toys.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I have no problem with the Russian counters I am seeing, they look great. But I hate pre order a set if I can not see what they will look like. I bought the CH sets blindly, and really regret it.

The colours will be tweaked at printing. I've found that what's seen on screen, printed on a home laser printer, or printed professionally differ wildly for even the same file. It's a bit of a crap shoot, really.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott, I have now given up on other TPP counters. BFP IMO is tops, now followed by Broken Ground. George Kellam from Lone Canuck has good merit, but the "other" TPP has fallen out of favor due to their error proned, overpriced crap.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Speaking of colors, I wish someone besides you know who would do Americans in a color that was not so close to monkey barf green. BTW - I like the blue in the picture but feldgrau would be cool.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldnt change a thing, the contrast on the figures looks fine. I'm not a fan of the black war criminals, but those are the best looking ones I've seen.
Same with the Yellow War Criminals, but then you're dealing with the racial thing right up front.:D

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I think we're sometimes going a little too far worrying about cardboard war criminals, it's not like there's a scenario offered where you butcher civilians or unarmed
prisoners.

On topic: I love those sniper counters!
I will buy them if they're offered as a set, can't really afford the whole nationality set.

Also +1 on LFT's counters being very well done, I like BFP's and HoB's also.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think we're sometimes going a little too far worrying about cardboard war criminals, it's not like there's a scenario offered where you butcher civilians or unarmed
prisoners.
Unless you're playing a scenario set in North Africa, the ASL rules allow for the commission of 'cardboard war crimes' in ALL scenarios per:
A20.3 No Quarter
A20.4 Massacre

And perhaps under some interpretations, E2 Interrogation.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I especially like the sniper counters with printed SAN and the idea of berserk/fanatic units.
I'm definitely going to have to get a set of the nationality specific partisans, long overdue IMO.

Aesthetic note, I like the way you have made the Broken Ground logo relatively unobtrusive so that it doesn't distract from the very nice art work.