Board Z

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
using Board Z in a scenario and my buddy Rod pointed out an anomaly to me that I had completely missed.

If you look at hexes Z8, AA8, AA9,BB9 and CC9 they all, at first glance, appear to be buildings hexes (with stone buildings) but, on closer inspection you can see that the white dot is centred on open ground within the hex itself

So, does this mean that those hexes are OPEN GROUND hexes, are the buildings just there to block line of sight or can you still enter them etc. or is this just a misprint?

confusing

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
They are still building hexes (and it is not a misprint).

B.1 example:
"...Common sense must prevail. Just because the hex center dot in 14P1, dD0 of Deluxe ASL, or 4X8 does not touch the buildings in those hexes does not mean that they are Open Ground hexes; they are building hexes although a LOS may be traced through them as if they were Open Ground, provided the building depiction is not crossed...."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
using Board Z in a scenario and my buddy Rod pointed out an anomaly to me that I had completely missed.

If you look at hexes Z8, AA8, AA9,BB9 and CC9 they all, at first glance, appear to be buildings hexes (with stone buildings) but, on closer inspection you can see that the white dot is centred on open ground within the hex itself

So, does this mean that those hexes are OPEN GROUND hexes, are the buildings just there to block line of sight or can you still enter them etc. or is this just a misprint?
Both ASL [B.1] and ASLSK (1.1.1) call out that sometimes hexes have their center dot in open ground artwork even though the hex is not open ground. The hexes are neither misprints nor open ground hexes.

JR

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
thanks guys, I totally missed that, just takes some getting used to is all when you are used to the white dot defining the hex in terms of terrain

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Red Barricades has at least one 3 hex Multi-hex Stone building that has the center building depiction that does not include the center dot and several boards that contain multiple building depictions (Huts in PTO) that exist without the center dot in any of the buildings [EX:bd67]. It's not uncommon to find this practice utilized on many boards, even in the case of Woods hexes.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
it sure is annoying though, it doesn't make sense, I'm used to the white dots defining terrain so this is just annoying as all get out, just plain sloppy in fact

Last edited:

Ken Dunn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You might be annoyed by it but it meets the rule. It certainly isn't sloppy. Its just different and interesting. I don't really recall since its been a long time but it might have opened up some LOS we wanted opened. But I do know we had conversations about it and felt it was playable. In the end it doesn't matter because the rules support the design.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree it meets the rule
but why have the rule? why do this in the first place? I just don't get it
I guess I'm too used to games where the white dot delineates the terrain
it is playable but I don't like it much and I do think it's confusing

ah well, just my tuppence worth is all

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Apologies if I came across as a bit blunt (or even rude) here, I didn't mean to I'm just a bit frustrated by this is all
I'll get over it:D

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
could be, certainly seems that newer boards are affected this way too though
but no biggie, I've accepted it now and yes, folks here are right, the rule covers it