VASLeague 2017, general discussion

shirlfactor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Norm Delaura and I played

J191 "Rebels without a pause".

The scenario is highly recommended. Norm was attacking with the Slovaks / Partisans and had a very good plan. I wasn't aware of his real intentions until very late in the game. Rolling boxcars 4 times on his rally attempt didn't help. In the end my Germans were able to defend the victory hexes winning the scenario by a narrow margin. The scenario was played in a very friendly atmosphere and playing Norm is much fun.
The scenario was touch and go. For a lot of the beginning I didn't think I had a chance. My brokies where rolling 12's lol. Towards turn 5 I was able to swing a Slovak squad and leader over towards the furthest Vc building. I chose vc number 1 which meant I had to take either of the farthest 2 buildings. I tried some deception and I didn't have the partisans enter till turn 3 . It nearly worked. On the last turn I was able to get a squad and leader right next to. the 2nd farthest building he had 2 broken hs's and a 8-0 leader. I tried to move my 10-2 up to the first floor to keep him from rallying upstairs but I bounced into a hip hs. So on the last turn he routed his broken units and I couldnt gain control. Very fun scenario. Björn is a great guy to play against . I look forward to playing him again in the future .

DaveH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave Haasl's Germans managed to hold off John Lehman's Poles for the win in FrF45 Totensonntag. John almost derailed my fighting withdrawal plans during Turn 2, but I somehow managed to "right-the-ship". I think both sides played a reasonably tight game but the luck tilted in my favor. John was a fun friendly opponent and I hope to be able to play him again in the future.
David

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl and I will be playing BFP's Gun Duel from the PiF pack with my attacking Russians going into Carl's Poles.

Got two turns in and it is quite and exciting game with Big swings of momentum in both directions.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evening
Just finished my match with John Bock. We played STL 12 "What Doesn't Kill You." My Japanese
defeated John's Chinese in the the final CC. What a heck of a scenario. Some highlights:
1. My Japanese did not win one .. I repeat, did not win one HtH CC!! My lone Japanese 1st Line HS
ambushed the Chinese in the final CC and was able to withdraw back into a victory hex.
2. My one TH Hero took out a British Stuart
3. A Japanese 447 flamed a British Stuart in CC Street Fighting
Losing those two Stuarts had an impact in the end game.

Highly recommend playing this scenario. What a nail-biter! Enjoyed playing John again.
A great opponent .. better be on your A-game when playing John. Best of luck to John
in the next round.

Cheers ya'll!
Pierce

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rob Oler bested Jim Fardette in Failure to Communicate. His stalwart Germans waltzed through my Frenchmen with ease, as the French managed to eliminate one of their own tanks by driving it through their own minefield and rolling snakes... my best attack of the game! Boom!

jwert02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will Willow and I are playing ASL69 Today We Attack with Will having the IJA and I the Chinese. Well into it and it's a jungle bloodbath for sure

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rich Domovic's Germans held out for a final turn win versus Francois Boudrenghien's Russians in DB130 Tigers and Flames.

The final Russian turn seven saw a human wave across the road that bisects the village containing 16 of the 17 VC buildings. My side of the road held six VC buildings, Francois held ten buildings on his side of the road. He needed to take 12 buildings.

Two Berserkers started it off, then came a nine squad human wave and when the carnage and CCs ended, the Russians had 11 buildings, one short.

Enjoyed playing Francois in a nicely paced, friendly tourney sized scenario.

Rich

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl and I will be playing BFP's Gun Duel from the PiF pack with my attacking Russians going into Carl's Poles.

Got two turns in and it is quite and exciting game with Big swings of momentum in both directions.
We finished our game this week, with my Russians winning against a forward Pole defense. In my opinion, this game was likely won in the first two turns when the Russians crashed into the front line in a single gap. Although 5 Russian tanks (half the ob) were destroyed in these two turns, the line was cracked and a large portion of defenders were caught in the woods hexes in between the two gaps. We played out into turn 6, but once the front line was cracked it was mostly down hill from there. May post more in an AAR. As always, Carl is a great opponent and wish him the best in future rounds and beyond.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We finished our game this week, with my Russians winning against a forward Pole defense. In my opinion, this game was likely won in the first two turns when the Russians crashed into the front line in a single gap. Although 5 Russian tanks (half the ob) were destroyed in these two turns, the line was cracked and a large portion of defenders were caught in the woods hexes in between the two gaps. We played out into turn 6, but once the front line was cracked it was mostly down hill from there. May post more in an AAR. As always, Carl is a great opponent and wish him the best in future rounds and beyond.
Yup, I concur. The defense was too far forward. This has to be a point defense for the Poles, so I deserved my fate.

Mongo5486

Reaction score
First name
Will
Country
llUnited States
In ASL69 Today We Attack it went down to the last half turn. Jason got enough of his Chinese off the board to win this one. Never saw so many Chinese heroes and he put them to good use.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Andy Beaton's Slovakians defeated Alberto Griffa's Poles in AP112 - First Ally.
Alberto started strong but was ultimately halted by a lucky string of 4's and 5's. But he was a good opponent and I'd gladly play him again.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
hello gentlemen, just to remember that the deadline for the TOP VASLeague and SSL has been shifted to the 10th september (since the 4th round started in delay) while for the East, West-Central and European- Oceanian league is the 30th October (as per tournament rules).

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Paul Chamberland's Germans totally whipped my Poles in BFP124 The Tanks of Warsaw.

Good fun, great opponent - good luck to Paul in the league final.

KenYoung

ASLKWAD
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ken Young’s Germans won the day against Ed Beekman’s French in J183 A Real Barn Burner.

In a close, down to the last DR match that saw …

- A German turn 3 DFPh that rolled 3 boxes on 6 rolls. Resulting in 2 broken LMG and a broken ATG.

- A last turn snakes while laying a fire lane which removed the target but cowered the shot, negating the fire lane.

- A German sniper attack that pinned a French MMC that could have won the game in the last MPh.

- And most importantly the best show of sportsmanship, that I have seen in years. When Ed move his last stack towards victory. I intensive fired my ATG, securing a hit but with no effect. Seeing no other shots that I could take to prevent his units getting adjacent to the Victory Building. Than could have advanced in for the win. I conceded the game. But Ed pointed out a pinned 247 under a wall advantage counter, that was unmarked. He allowed to take the 1 down 2 shot. A DR of 3, wounded the leaded and pinned his MMC. Giving me the game.

Thanks Ed, may your next match be a victory. You deserve the win. And made a large deposit in the good karma bank.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ken Young’s Germans won the day against Ed Beekman’s French in J183 A Real Barn Burner.

In a close, down to the last DR match that saw …

- A German turn 3 DFPh that rolled 3 boxes on 6 rolls. Resulting in 2 broken LMG and a broken ATG.

- A last turn snakes while laying a fire lane which removed the target but cowered the shot, negating the fire lane.

- A German sniper attack that pinned a French MMC that could have won the game in the last MPh.

- And most importantly the best show of sportsmanship, that I have seen in years. When Ed move his last stack towards victory. I intensive fired my ATG, securing a hit but with no effect. Seeing no other shots that I could take to prevent his units getting adjacent to the Victory Building. Than could have advanced in for the win. I conceded the game. But Ed pointed out a pinned 247 under a wall advantage counter, that was unmarked. He allowed to take the 1 down 2 shot. A DR of 3, wounded the leaded and pinned his MMC. Giving me the game.

Thanks Ed, may your next match be a victory. You deserve the win. And made a large deposit in the good karma bank.
Deposits like that in the Karma bank cannot indeed go unremarked!

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Craig Houliston's French eked out the narrowest of wins against Larry Rohlfing's attacking Germans in 79 Bridge of the Seven Planets. A fabulous scenario classic. This one came down to the final half turn. I had only limited assets, but scads of deliberate residual and one fire lane had me firing off 28 IFT DRs in that half turn from 1x457/LMG, 2x437s and a 237/LMG (firelane). Oh, and a couple MMG shots from a smoked-in 228/MMG in the castle. Every German unit pinned or broke: 12 units. I was rolling laser beams. Like kthe saying goes sometimes you don't always need to be good -- just lucky.

This was a great game the entire way. Larry played really well, but the dice just went against him. Thanks to Larry for a great game -- one of the most enjoyable and gracious opponents you'd ever want to play. Oh, and if you're looking for a great scenario, this one sits at 41-41 on ROAR.

andrea pagni

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
My Germans were able to achieve the victory conditions Vs the Poles of Brian Wiersma in a game of Polish Requiem. the AAR of the game is simply a never ending series of lucky German rolls versus unlucky polish ones.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My Germans were able to achieve the victory conditions Vs the Poles of Brian Wiersma in a game of Polish Requiem. the AAR of the game is simply a never ending series of lucky German rolls versus unlucky polish ones.
In other words, a brilliant tactical plan! :thumbsup::D

KenYoung

ASLKWAD
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Enrico, could change the result of my round 4 match. It should be ...

A victory for Ed Beekman’s French in J183 A Real Barn Burner

Because I conceded the game before the last DR (as I said in an earlier post).

And looking back at the last saved game file. The fact that the unit who rolled the game winning DFF was unmarked. I cannot 100% say that it did not fire earlier in the turn. Without that 100% knowledge, I cannot take a win from such a close game.

There is no shame in losing to a good player. My shame comes from not paying attention to the little things like LOS, Route destinations, when to use special ammo, WHO HAVE YET TO FIRE, did everyone advance and so much more.

Sorry for causing you more work

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Kevin Killeen and I will play Buck 10 - Buckeye Blitzkrieg. I am taking the Japanese defenders and he will attack with the sons of Ohio.
After four turns real life interfered an I had to concede. My Japanese defenders were anyway in dire straits. Good game with a great opponent.