Post Korean War ASL from MMP

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Soldiers of the Negus is not World War II. Spanish Civil War is not World War II. Korea is not World War II. Anything past that is DEFINITELY not World War II.

The more you do non-World War II stuff, the more you abandon your core audience.
Just because something can be modeled within the ASL framework does NOT mean that *MMP* should be doing the modeling. Especially for subjects outside the broad WW2 era (roughly 1931-1954).
hmmm - Ethiopia - 1936-1940. SCW - depends but you could conceivably call it 1935-1939, Korea - 1950-1953.

How exactly do these fall outside your "broad WW2 era"?

Once again - a logical fallacy - Argument from perceived Authority: "...attempts to convince others that an idea or claim should be accepted because the person making the claim is presenting himself as an expert on the subject or has more knowledge on a topic that others because of his experience. "

I think the history of the game shows pretty well that big ASL projects pretty much always have an effect on other big (or even not so big) ASL projects. Basically, if MMP does an ASL Vietnam, you're going to see some juicy WW2 product pushed back about five years.
As posted on CSW many times over the last two decades, as well as here on GS by Perry more than once just since I have been here from 2010 - MMP is more than willing to accept help, assistance, volunteered time - from any ASL aficionado willing to give it, for just about any product in their pipeline, irrespective of its actual order of prospective publication. I.E.: you want to see Ortona out faster? Offer up some time to help with that project. I can state the evidence appears to show that neither Chas nor Perry will automatically reject anyone offering to actually help with proofing, play - testing, counter/map art proofing, coding art from Quark Express to modern digital form, coding for the eASLRB project, etc and so forth.

I have noticed, from any ASL publisher, help is rarely if ever, rejected out of hand.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
As posted on CSW many times over the last two decades, as well as here on GS by Perry more than once just since I have been here from 2010 - MMP is more than willing to accept help, assistance, volunteered time - from any ASL aficionado willing to give it, for just about any product in their pipeline, irrespective of its actual order of prospective publication. I.E.: you want to see Ortona out faster? Offer up some time to help with that project. I can state the evidence appears to show that neither Chas nor Perry will automatically reject anyone offering to actually help with proofing, play - testing, counter/map art proofing, coding art from Quark Express to modern digital form, coding for the eASLRB project, etc and so forth.

I have noticed, from any ASL publisher, help is rarely if ever, rejected out of hand.
"The evidence appears to show" is a good disclaimer - because if an offer is made and you don't get an email back.............

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"The evidence appears to show" is a good disclaimer - because if an offer is made and you don't get an email back.............
I can't see them freely sending development material to every Tom, Dick and Harry who professed to be able to help either. There are those of us out there who just wanna get our mitts on some freebies. Some collects this stuff. Some might even pass this stuff on ..

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Note also that the place to really assist is in development and testing before submission to MMP. If you're already involved at that point, chances are you're contribution will continue to be needed as MMP pushes the project toward production.

Plus, you can always send them an article, a scenario design, a flow chart or a cheat sheet you've been working on. Never know when it might be just the thing for something else they have in the pipe.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Call me a heretic, but the thought of yet another massive WWII city battle historical module, whether it be in Italy or the Phillipines, just does not excite me. I'd much rather MMP look at more recent conflicts. Sino-Indian war, Suez Canal conflict, Pakistan-India conflicts, and many, many more, including Vietnam.

Bill

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Call me a heretic, but the thought of yet another massive WWII city battle historical module, whether it be in Italy or the Phillipines, just does not excite me. I'd much rather MMP look at more recent conflicts. Sino-Indian war, Suez Canal conflict, Pakistan-India conflicts, and many, many more, including Vietnam.

Bill
What about WW2 historical modules that are not "another massive WWII city battle?"

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't see them freely sending development material to every Tom, Dick and Harry who professed to be able to help either. There are those of us out there who just wanna get our mitts on some freebies. Some collects this stuff. Some might even pass this stuff on ..
Sending out a piece of a rules section for Ortona- say for the CG SSR's - and asking for a proof-reading to ensure the Chapter A-G references therein are accurate and applicable, the language is unambiguous and clear, and there are not any inconsistencies with the Chapter A-G rules that are not yet identified with an [EXC] marking, is nothing near allowing anyone to "collect" a full sample of the module in rough draft form. It is, however, still quite helpful to the overall project if someone is willing to pitch in and do things like this. Any project, any time volunteered in this way, is helpful.

As George notes, pitch in before the MMP submission also, if you really feel a module should be faster on the getting out to publication. I call that "putting the money where the mouth is". There are so many aspects to a full module release that a myriad of volunteers could still be kept busy, and yet no one "outside" would get the "full Monty". I play test because I want to see those projects out faster to the public. I only see one rough draft of one scenario and its SSRs, that is all. But that effort gets the whole package of 8-12 scenarios and a new board maybe, in the hands of every ASL player who wants it, that much faster.

(I know, its preachin' to the choir, Jackson does valiant service as a play tester also. - I know his post was "playing the devil's advocate. :) )

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP is more than willing to accept help, assistance, volunteered time - from any ASL aficionado willing to give it, for just about any product in their pipeline, irrespective of its actual order of prospective publicatio
I will help with an eASLRB, but not with non-WW2 ASL (actually won't help with much WW2 ASL either as 99% of my game time is devoted to playtesting and design and development already).

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Soldiers of the Negus is not World War II. Spanish Civil War is not World War II. Korea is not World War II. Anything past that is DEFINITELY not World War II.

The more you do non-World War II stuff, the more you abandon your core audience.

One could argue that any scenarios from 9/1/39 until 12/7/41 should not be included either. Up until then, things were merely another European conflict.

And the Chinese might take some umbrage with your dating conventions since they fought the Japanese continually since mid-1937.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One could argue that any scenarios from 9/1/39 until 12/7/41 should not be included either. Up until then, things were merely another European conflict.

And the Chinese might take some umbrage with your dating conventions since they fought the Japanese continually since mid-1937.
Since 1932i think .. and that's the Second Sino Japanese war. Rynerson knows a heck more than me in this regard.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
And everything after May 8th 1945 is just another crazy Asiatic war and not really a world war.

JR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
MASL is still intact. I have been reading through and helping to proof items recently.
I thought Frank Meier pulled the plug. Wasn't this a Yahoo group? I can't find any trace of it. Can you tell us where the project moved to?

Wasn't Justiciar also working on stuff once upon a time? I remember some of the Falklands work that went on.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I thought Frank Meier pulled the plug. Wasn't this a Yahoo group? I can't find any trace of it. Can you tell us where the project moved to?

Wasn't Justiciar also working on stuff once upon a time? I remember some of the Falklands work that went on.

Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about Macro ASL, a "level up" from ASL that can then be fought as ASL scenarios.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about Macro ASL, a "level up" from ASL that can then be fought as ASL scenarios.
I believe everyone else was referring to Modern ASL (MASL) which was a yahoo group spearheaded by Frank Meier.