Should MMP pursue ASL designs out of the 9/1/39-9/1/45 WW2 Time frame?

Should MMP pursue Designs outside the traditional WW2 Period 9/1/39-9/1/45

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As the Subject line says. Also, if you are of a mind that MMP designs should be pursued outside of the traditional time frames thought of as WW2, which ones would you consider appropriate?

If you voted yes for designs outside of WW2's standard time-frame, please indicate which additional time periods would interest you.

This will be a public poll. There has been much discussion about this topic of late, so I thought I would throw out a poll. It may be far from scientific, but some data is better than none. The poll will run 4 weeks. Choices can be publicly seen.

The choices are not all encompassing outside of the WW2 time-frame, but it should give some information. Thanks,
Carl

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I'm the lone 'no' vote so far. I'm interested in much of military history, and read up on all manner of wars, however, WWII is the only conflict I am interested in gaming. Likely due to it being the segment of military history that interests me far more than any other era. Pigeon-holing myself further, WWII strategic gaming does not interest me at all, only the tactical, of which ASL is the most detailed, FUN representation I have found.

There is already such an abundance to play from MMP's[AH] ASL line and TPPs that I do not mind at all if they pursue evolving the system to encompass whatever conflict-flavors others desire. The only thing I would find sad is if a future Journal ten years from now has 15 scenarios, including 2 Korean War, 3 Vietnam, 2 SCW, 2 Arab-Israeli, and only 6 WWII. There is so much to play that I would have no qualms in not buying that particular Journal. Even more so if the advanced peek shows half the articles, replays, etc are on non-WWII conflicts.

Although my personal interest in enlarging the scope of ASL is less than zero, I do believe it could be done. My only concern is that WWII-only aficionados such as myself do not get alienated in the process. IMO, the gamette/rules development will be an easier chore than the process of making sure that the intertwining dependency on modules/maps/rules that one is not interested in (ie, non-WWII) is done with very careful consideration for those who look to buy future MMP-ASL-WWII material without it being watered down with other conflicts. If MMP has that gameplan figured out, then go for it!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I voted yes to all except WW1. Even that No is not absolute, there are some actions in more sparsely populated areas with low forces on each side (eg, E Africa, some Eastern Front) or after the application of Stosstruppen tactics that ASL could handle.

I would however agree with volgaG68 that WW2 or '31 to '53 should remain the dominant theme.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I'm confused, doesn't MMP already pursue ASL designs outside of Sept 39 to Sept 45 or is the poll question intending to ask if MMP should *continue* to pursue ASL designs outside of this range?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm the lone 'no' vote so far. I'm interested in much of military history, and read up on all manner of wars, however, WWII is the only conflict I am interested in gaming. Likely due to it being the segment of military history that interests me far more than any other era. Pigeon-holing myself further, WWII strategic gaming does not interest me at all, only the tactical, of which ASL is the most detailed, FUN representation I have found.

There is already such an abundance to play from MMP's[AH] ASL line and TPPs that I do not mind at all if they pursue evolving the system to encompass whatever conflict-flavors others desire. The only thing I would find sad is if a future Journal ten years from now has 15 scenarios, including 2 Korean War, 3 Vietnam, 2 SCW, 2 Arab-Israeli, and only 6 WWII. There is so much to play that I would have no qualms in not buying that particular Journal. Even more so if the advanced peek shows half the articles, replays, etc are on non-WWII conflicts.

Although my personal interest in enlarging the scope of ASL is less than zero, I do believe it could be done. My only concern is that WWII-only aficionados such as myself do not get alienated in the process. IMO, the gamette/rules development will be an easier chore than the process of making sure that the intertwining dependency on modules/maps/rules that one is not interested in (ie, non-WWII) is done with very careful consideration for those who look to buy future MMP-ASL-WWII material without it being watered down with other conflicts. If MMP has that gameplan figured out, then go for it!
Not the lone one any more.

Besides that, I concur with what you say.

von Marwitz

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm confused, doesn't MMP already pursue ASL designs outside of Sept 39 to Sept 45 or is the poll question intending to ask if MMP should *continue* to pursue ASL designs outside of this range?
You apparently, and not doubt mercifully ;-), were not aware that there was an extensive post on this in a previous thread. MMP had posted a note on Consim World that they were looking for play-testers to move ASL into other time frames, I am assuming in the scope of what is mentioned in the poll, but do not have any inside information on this. This in its turn brought about a thread which received much discussion.

This made me curious to see, albeit unscientifically, where the majority of participating GS members, who feel strongly enough to have their feeling measured in a poll, stood. Hence the poll.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Buried? Did it happen after the 50's? Then it isn't buried.

I can't take into account every post 50's conflict. Hell, I missed a big one in the 40's already. That said, feel free to post a poll. I assume if someone has an interest in it though, they will be all over that and vote post 50's. Eleven people already have in fact.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We can only conjecture of how many more would have voted for it if it had been broken out. Hundreds probably. Sigh. No use crying over spilled milk I suppose.

JR
Well, not being sarcastic at all when I say, put a poll up to gauge interest. Now naturally, you will only get responses here on GS and probably only then from the more active members. I would be happy to support the effort and depending how the poll gets worded, it could very well give you some useful insights.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Voted a very "conservative" yes.... So, no modern nor flintlock ASL for me.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I posted both a yes & no, meaning I think they should do whatever they feel like doing. If there's one certainty I've concluded over the last six years of buying ASL related products, it would be without a question that MMP are the top dogs of ASLville. I wasn't planning to buy their upcoming Korean module, but I definitely think I will be now... :cool: