VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
I just created a GitHub account to follow the progress on this.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I don't know if this has been pointed out before regarding the Finnish counters:

- If you label them, the background color of the label is not Finnish grey but German blue.

Finns.jpg
Furthermore a general observation:
I have the impression, that the Finnish VASL-counters in general appear somewhat more 'blurred' than those of other nationalities. Am I mistaken?

von Marwitz

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I have the impression, that the Finnish VASL-counters in general appear somewhat more 'blurred' than those of other nationalities. Am I mistaken?
You are not mistaken, they are scans which were just resized down to counter size.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anybody thought whether or not it might be useful to make Upper Level Rubble counters?

So instead of this:

Upper Level Rubble.png

We could just get single counters to indicated the same thing. I imagine this would be pretty far down the to-do list...but just throwing it out there.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Has anybody thought whether or not it might be useful to make Upper Level Rubble counters?

So instead of this:

View attachment 1831

We could just get single counters to indicated the same thing. I imagine this would be pretty far down the to-do list...but just throwing it out there.
Is your idea to: change the color and put {Level X} over top? And maybe a stone / wood marker too?

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is your idea to: change the color and put {Level X} over top? And maybe a stone / wood marker too?
Something like that. Maybe like a yellow 2nd level marker with the word "rubble" superimposed on it...along with 1st level and maybe 3rd level as well. Forgot about wood markers...absolutely have to have them as well...:)

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stone Level 1 rubble and drifting Level 1 SMOKE are the difficult ones, as the base version already uses a gray background. Probably just put a "Level 1" tag on them. For the rest (Wood Level 1 Rubble, and all the other levels), I was thinking in terms of an outer border that matches the typical level color, and then a standard interior (as well as text giving the level, of course).

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Just to play devil's advocate, do we *really* need the Level X text if we have the "color ring" on the border? I suppose the text could be in the ring, too. Keeping the inside brown/grey for the rubble material is great idea, though.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, unless you can figure out how to differentiate Level 0 stone rubble and Level 1 stone rubble without that text, I'd want the other levels to have it for consistency.

Though, yeah, you could put a green 'level 0' ring around the Level 0 stone rubble, but that's a fairly startling change from the standard piece and usage. Why that's being done would need to be explained somewhere.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Though, yeah, you could put a green 'level 0' ring around the Level 0 stone rubble, but that's a fairly startling change from the standard piece and usage. Why that's being done would need to be explained somewhere.
Doesn't have to be a replacement piece, but you raise a solid point. There are only so many pixels to play with though. I'll mock some options up this weekend and see how they look.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It just struck me that there seems to be no level-counter in VASL for a Steeple, which is part of the 'official' counter set.

Am I missing something?

von Marwitz

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
It just struck me that there seems to be no level-counter in VASL for a Steeple, which is part of the 'official' counter set.

Am I missing something?

von Marwitz
That is a bit weird. I can't find one either. I bet it's in some extension somewhere and nobody's realized it's missing from the base set. I'd use the Tower counter in a pinch, but definitely should be added.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia

Am I missing something?
There have only been "official Steeple counters" in DaE and Yanks2, both relatively recent releases. Prior to that we all just used regular level markers. I'm sure VASL will "catch up" eventually.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The Russian GAZ-4M-AA truck (Russian Vehicle Note 43) is a vehicle with an AAMG as its MA (and only armament). For some reason the counter has a TCA available to it; TCA is irrelevant to AAMG -- the vehicle does not have a turret.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
There have only been "official Steeple counters" in DaE and Yanks2, both relatively recent releases.
Indeed. When I was reforming my storage at the beginning of the year and exchanging my counter set, I was surprised to suddenly find the "official Steeple counters" from Yanks2 in my hands. But I did not exactly realize that there haven't been any official Steeple counters before... :D

von Marwitz

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Indeed. When I was reforming my storage at the beginning of the year and exchanging my counter set, I was surprised to suddenly find the "official Steeple counters" from Yanks2 in my hands. But I did not exactly realize that there haven't been any official Steeple counters before... :D

von Marwitz
Nor did I, but it's not really relevant. VASL has lots of stuff that isn't in the official mix, because it can. Pixels are cheaper than cardboard. It's an obvious counter and has been in TPP release for some time (KGS at least that I know of, likely others), would be a good add. "Not in the official counter mix" is no reason to leave something useful out of VASL.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I am meddling with Bd7a (v6.1) and am encountering a number of issues with the LOS tool (VASSAL v3.2.17, VASL v6.3.3).

An example:

7a.jpg
Settings for the above were 7a flipped, ETO, Grain in season, PTO-Transformations: Palmtrees checked.

I tried various settings with that board getting various LOS errors. However, I could not exactly reproduce the same errors. Sometimes, LOS seemed good, then wrong in various places.

von Marwitz