Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
For others who are thinking about buying an "all in one" printer, I would advise against if you do much scanning. I have a HP C6280 and though the printing is all I could wish for, the scanner part or it's software is not much to write home about. For scanning my scenarios and maps I use a stand alone Canon LIDE 100 which I found much easier to use. With much greater effort I could get similar quality from the HP, but the Canon was just so, so much less work. Besides if one fails I only loose one function.

Of course, "all in ones" may have improved since I bought mine, so YMMV. It's just that a dedicated scanner has the full attention of it's maker whilst the scanner in an "all in one" may be a bit of an after thought. If you only scan rarely, it might not matter much anyway.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
From my pencil sketch to a computerized version.
I know that Hexdraw allows one to load a background image that can be used as a template to follow as one creates the map. If you can get the pencil sketch into a png image then it can be loaded as a background.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Too many Hedges. From a DFE perspective, not every property has to be perfectly delineated and enclosed. I would shy away from Hedges between buildings, and make them more intermittent between fields. Not all fences were complete, or solid. I would also swap out some of the Grain for Orchards or Brush or Open Ground, just to change things up. Not every property would be exactly the same.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I like that, it's more in the spirit of what Pitman displayed. My only suggestion is to inter-space a few clear and brush hexes to break up the monotony of grain.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
The left side of the board looked a little "crowded" with too many farms and plots. I took out some farms on the left and enlarged the hill to include level two. I deleted a few more hedges and changed a few more grain fields to other terrain (mostly open ground). I put board identification in B8. I also thought of two scenarios, both involve SS units. In the first, a SS company is sweeping the village for enemies of the Fatherland and is met by partisans with mortars positioned behind the east ridge. In the second, the SS company is surrounded by the equivalent of a battalion of partisans intent on their destruction. Partisans do not have to pay 1+COT for the hedges in the village. View attachment 1837

Last edited:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The right side of the board looked a little "crowded" with too many farms and plots. I took out some farms on the right and enlarged the hill to include level two. I deleted a few more hedges and changed a few more grain fields to other terrain (mostly open ground). I put board identification in B8. I also thought of two scenarios, both involve SS units. In the first, a SS company is sweeping the village for enemies of the Fatherland and is met by partisans with mortars positioned behind the east ridge. In the second, the SS company is surrounded by the equivalent of a battalion of partisans intent on their destruction. View attachment 1837
Too many firelanes!

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You meant the left side I think, but yeah the board looks excellent IMO. Tactical throughout, and a great place to ambush the SS.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like that, it's more in the spirit of what Pitman displayed. My only suggestion is to inter-space a few clear and brush hexes to break up the monotony of grain.
Not really. he created some sort of subdivision where everything looks alike. Read my original post.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems to be missing something, I wonder if there should be a barn for the livestock somewhat away from the road and perhaps a shared grain elevator.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not really. he created some sort of subdivision where everything looks alike. Read my original post.
Your second picture shows a dead-end street which must be a street off a main road or a secondary street. The third picture shows two parallel roads connected by two side streets with the properties between those roads all separated by fence. That's not a subdivision? Albeit a crude looking one if it is. <g>

The pictures also show the road network reconnecting in a similar manner to how RandyT0001's geoboard does. I don't know if the exact look can be achieved with hexes unless the fencing and hedge artwork isn't drawn along the hexsides. It would be interesting to see what that looks like, but will it effect the LOS rules much?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The left side of the board looked a little "crowded" with too many farms and plots. I took out some farms on the left and enlarged the hill to include level two. I deleted a few more hedges and changed a few more grain fields to other terrain (mostly open ground). I put board identification in B8. I also thought of two scenarios, both involve SS units. In the first, a SS company is sweeping the village for enemies of the Fatherland and is met by partisans with mortars positioned behind the east ridge. In the second, the SS company is surrounded by the equivalent of a battalion of partisans intent on their destruction. Partisans do not have to pay 1+COT for the hedges in the village. View attachment 1837
I might quibble about the number of Hedges, too main Grain in the middle of the village, and the Y1-10 road needing to bend into Z2-9 - but I must say that as-is this is a good design. There's certainly nothing like it in the system. I wish I had designed it.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I like it!
It is certainly different from other geoboards.

I would ask myself if putting more than one building in some of the hexes would not allow a good transition to PTO huts (but that can easily be circumvented by an SSR : "All one hex wooden buildings are huts") ?