LCP Hells Highway

von_meyer

Reaction score
Country
ll
Just looking for other people's experiences with the full campaign game, having just called a day on our game...now I really like LCP products but a bit bemused by this, perhaps it was just bad luck but I was not enjoying the experience as the Allies. By scenario three end I was still facing 10 Panthers with a good proportion of the Allied armour destroyed and I just couldn't see it as a reasonable proposition to continue....

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Myself and Sam Prior played this at Heroes last year.....didn't enjoy it at all (Sorry George!)

All manner of things which really got under our skins. We jacked it after a couple of days playing and went to scenario play

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Myself and Sam Prior played this at Heroes last year.....didn't enjoy it at all (Sorry George!)

All manner of things which really got under our skins. We jacked it after a couple of days playing and went to scenario play
Were there some specific things you thought could be improved? I haven't played it; what I've seen seems to indicate there there
will be lots and lots of units on the board, unlike Purple Heart Draw.

indy

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Were there some specific things you thought could be improved? I haven't played it; what I've seen seems to indicate there there
will be lots and lots of units on the board, unlike Purple Heart Draw.

indy
Sam got fatigued moving so many German half tracks around. There are zillions of German half tracks. After two campaign scenarios it just got too tiresome.

And it looked absolutely impossible for the US/Brits...although that might have changed had we given it more time.

Really though (sorry again George)...we both found it unplayable.

Genuinely hope others can see the beauty in it because the map is stunning and the situation it portrays fantastic

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just looking for other people's experiences with the full campaign game, having just called a day on our game...now I really like LCP products but a bit bemused by this, perhaps it was just bad luck but I was not enjoying the experience as the Allies. By scenario three end I was still facing 10 Panthers with a good proportion of the Allied armour destroyed and I just couldn't see it as a reasonable proposition to continue....
That about mirrors my experience with HH. By the beginning of the third campaign 'date', I felt that the entire module should have been renamed 'A Plague of Panthers'. A thoroughly unpleasant and hopeless experience for the allied player.

On the other hand, the mapsheet is one of the nicest looking ones I have ever played on, and I found the CG rules to be easy to learn. For these reasons I would not hesitate to try another LC module/CG in the future. I'm done with HH though, just say too unbalanced to be enjoyable.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After 3 CG dates, I was still facing 14 panthers and a million HT. My brother was throwing the HT's into all kinds of danger because he had SO MANY of them. Not a good experience as the Allies at all...

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's a shame. Panthers are rough, and half tracks are very powerful when given free reign to run around the backfield. Is it fixable with a CVP cap, or maybe recall halftracks as they unload as OVHS did with all the Kangaroos?

von_meyer

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks for the replies all. I think the combination of the numerous Panthers, combined with a shortage of armour for the allies plus the multitude of German halftracks does make it very difficult for the allies. Perhaps, as suggested, recalling the passenger carrying vehicles once empty might help. I am guessing also that the Allied air power is also meant to help the balance, BUT, I only succeeded in obtaining one Typhoon in the whole of one scenario, who shocked one panther...which recovered!

I really like the map, the campaign rules and the tactical situation but before I play it again I think I will need to see some changes...

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Good luck relying on the Typhoons to rock the Germans in this one mate.
Have won it twice as the Allies, and the second time the Typhoons simply vaporized the Panthers forthwith. ( I would not make the comment had I not seen it happen, I just don't roll that way)

First time I didn't go for Typhoons and luckily a 9-1 AL in a Firefly kept finding APDS and this along with a few DI's quickly turned the tide.

I still think it is hard on the Allies but far from unwinnable

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Have won it twice as the Allies, and the second time the Typhoons simply vaporized the Panthers forthwith. ( I would not make the comment had I not seen it happen, I just don't roll that way)

First time I didn't go for Typhoons and luckily a 9-1 AL in a Firefly kept finding APDS and this along with a few DI's quickly turned the tide.

I still think it is hard on the Allies but far from unwinnable
Agree. I'm sure it's winnable for both sides. Our problem was we got thoroughly bored of it before reaching any level of interest (sorry again George).

I'd had some early success actually versus the Panthers....took two out fairly early.

We got bored with the half tracks...movement of them just ground our game down to a halt.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It isn't as good a CG as Ozerkyha Breakout! for sure, and cutting of rout paths with Half tracks and even jeeps is for sure problematic.

What it IS though is a very different more mobile fluid CG to much of what I have seen before.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So maybe a fix could be to tweak the range within the Typhoons do make or do not make not their appearance?

To stretch the point for the sake of the argument: The chance for 0 Typhoons break it. The chance for 6 Typhoons break it as well. But maybe if the chance is limited to 2-4 Typhoons? I don't know the actual numbers available in that CG, so take the numbers presented as a 'place-holder'.

von Marwitz

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
So maybe a fix could be to tweak the range within the Typhoons do make or do not make not their appearance?

To stretch the point for the sake of the argument: The chance for 0 Typhoons break it. The chance for 6 Typhoons break it as well. But maybe if the chance is limited to 2-4 Typhoons? I don't know the actual numbers available in that CG, so take the numbers presented as a 'place-holder'.

von Marwitz
I think a few less half tracks (less than half the amount in the actual game for sure)....perhaps a few more Brit/US AT capability, would make it more playable. Take the aircraft out. This is a grudge on my part. I don't think aircraft work well in ASL. The rules seem absurd.

And, FFS, let the British AT Guns at start set up and ready to fire so as to represent a proper threat to the Panthers.

A few easy tweaks and I think it's capable of being a top CG. As it is though....again, for us (and neither Sam nor I are slouches....we knocked over the Pegasus Bridge main campaign this year at Heroes), unplayable. Because, moving half tracks around without threat agin them, is dull. It becomes like driving cars around on those child playmats we had as kids.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps have the half-tracks recalled when unloaded?
maybe an SSR similar to the LVTs in BR:T - at the beginning of a MPh, an empty HT must pass a NTC to remain on the board and move freely. If they fail the NTC, they are immediately marked with a recall marker.

Limits the number of avail HTs, but not eliminates their possible use on map for an extended period.
just a $.02

Jon H

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The empty LVT NTC SSR for the German half tracks sounds like a good idea. I would be curious to hear from members of the HH playtest group regarding their experience with the constant stream of Panther reinforcements and the half track swarms. I can't believe that this issue didn't come up during playtesting.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
It's been a year since I played and away from the rules at the moment but aren't the Typhoon attacks pretty weak? I thought the SSRs make them either hard to hit with a point attack or very weak as area attacks. Someone might clarify this for me but I recall them being not as effective as the Allies might hope for.