What Constitutes being an ASL Player?

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitive answers, hope this helps you in your quest.
So by some of the standards you list;
I haven't played golf in well over 25yrs, but just can't bring myself to get rid of my clubs, I guess I'm still a golfer.
I haven't gone fishing since my Dad died 28yrs ago but still have all my fishing tackle, I guess I'm still a fisherman.
I haven't fired my hunting rifles at a deer since 1990 but I still have them, I guess I'm still a hunter.
I haven't played a game of Chess or cracked open a Chess book since the 80's, but still have all the stuff, I guess I'm still a Chess player.
I could go on, but not necessary.

If you haven't played in 20yrs, no, you are not still an ASLer..

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Irritatingly stupid question...

I haven't played ASL in over a year, but I consider myself an ASLer through-and-through. After playing for 25 years I needed a break. But, I will come back some day. I would still consider myself an ASLer if I took a 5 year break, because I still buy every MMP, BFP, FRF and LFT product (Schwerpunkt priced me out of being a customer), I check this forum on occasion, I talk shop with the locals, I'm looking forward to the Korean module, my boardgamegeek icon is Wolkster 7-1, and I defend ASL religiously when someone says something stupid about it on the geek.

I don't need someone to get all elistist on me and try to define who I am.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do not mistake the questions for judgements or categories. They are simple questions.
If you will notice, some of the replies are actually categorizing individuals while others are expressing righteous indignation at the mere posing of a question.
It is interesting that some of us are so anxious to draw our guns quickly during a discussion.
Incidentally, I am very liberal regarding these questions. I consider individuals that fit into any of the questions except #11 to be ASLers. I liken being an ASLer to that of being in the mafia, you're never really out until you are dead.
Number 12 is an inside joke related to the first games of Squad Leader I played with Randy Thompson. At the time, my mother drove me to Randy's house because neither of us was old enough to drive in 1980.
Thirty-seven years later, Randy and I are still playing together, thanks Ma.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What does it mean to be an Advanced Squad Leader Player?
I am not sure. I want to know. That is why I am asking.
I have known individuals who fit each of these descriptions. I'm sure you have too.

1. Are you an ASLer if you own only the ASLRB and play only once biannually?
  2. Are you an ASLer if you own all the official products and play one scenario per year?
  3. Are you an ASLer if you only play ASL at ASLOK?
  4. Are you an ASLer if you have not played since ASLOK 2016?
  5. Are you an ASLer if you play only ASL Starter Kit?
  6. Are you an ASLer if you do not play HASLs?
  7. Are you an ASLer if you only play ASL on VASL?
  8. Are you an ASLer if you play only one time per month?
  9. Are you an ASLer if you only own the system through Croix de Guerre and play monthly?
  10. Are you an ASLer if you own and purchase all official ASL products, but have not played for 2 years?
  11. Are you an ASLer if you own all official ASL products, but have never played ASL?
  12. Are you an ASLer if you only get to play when your mommy lets you?
  13. Are you an ASLer if you played 10 years ago and quit, but still purchase official ASL products?
  14. Are you an ASLer if you played regularly 10 years ago, but never intend to play again?

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So by some of the standards you list;
I haven't played golf in well over 25yrs, but just can't bring myself to get rid of my clubs, I guess I'm still a golfer.
I haven't gone fishing since my Dad died 28yrs ago but still have all my fishing tackle, I guess I'm still a fisherman.
I haven't fired my hunting rifles at a deer since 1990 but I still have them, I guess I'm still a hunter.
I haven't played a game of Chess or cracked open a Chess book since the 80's, but still have all the stuff, I guess I'm still a Chess player.
I could go on, but not necessary.

If you haven't played in 20yrs, no, you are not still an ASLer..
You'll have to show me where my answers imply any of that. Or do we need to make a separate list for 'players' who are not 'readers'? :)

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
If you have the IFT (<=16 FP) memorized
It's only the 2MC and 3MC region where I get fuzzy on the 16 table.
I'd expect everyone who's played any reasonable amount to have the 12 and under memorized since that's what's used by far the most.
Of course, I still sometimes have to check the 1 table since I don't use it often.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's only the 2MC and 3MC region where I get fuzzy on the 16 table.
I'd expect everyone who's played any reasonable amount to have the 12 and under memorized since that's what's used by far the most.
Of course, I still sometimes have to check the 1 table since I don't use it often.
Why memorize it? you have charts, use them.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
It's really just from repetition, and it's an easy step from 2-4-6-8-12. Even most of 16.
I just know where the NMC is and work back from that.
The next table is one number higher.
I still check to be sure when rolling 3s and 4s (doesn't happen often) but I know the answer before looking.
I've been playing since 1985.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's really just from repetition, and it's an easy step from 2-4-6-8-12. Even most of 16.
I just know where the NMC is and work back from that.
The next table is one number higher.
I still check to be sure when rolling 3s and 4s (doesn't happen often) but I know the answer before looking.
I've been playing since 1985.
Makes sense, and if you have been playing that long I am surprised you have not got the whole RB in your head, damned if I can do that.:D

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just remember "8 on the 8 is a NMC" and break it down from there.
If you know that nobody can doubt you are a true ASLer with true ASLness. If they doubt you smack 'em in the face with your RB (not the pocket version) and beat them...in the original Agony of Doom as the Russians. Then they will know, then they will know.

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
What does it mean to be an Advanced Squad Leader Player?
I am not sure. I want to know. That is why I am asking.
I have known individuals who fit each of these descriptions. I'm sure you have too.

1. Are you an ASLer if you own only the ASLRB and play only once biannually?
  2. Are you an ASLer if you own all the official products and play one scenario per year?
  3. Are you an ASLer if you only play ASL at ASLOK?
  4. Are you an ASLer if you have not played since ASLOK 2016?
  5. Are you an ASLer if you play only ASL Starter Kit?
  6. Are you an ASLer if you do not play HASLs?
  7. Are you an ASLer if you only play ASL on VASL?
  8. Are you an ASLer if you play only one time per month?
  9. Are you an ASLer if you only own the system through Croix de Guerre and play monthly?
  10. Are you an ASLer if you own and purchase all official ASL products, but have not played for 2 years?
  11. Are you an ASLer if you own all official ASL products, but have never played ASL?
  12. Are you an ASLer if you only get to play when your mommy lets you?
  13. Are you an ASLer if you played 10 years ago and quit, but still purchase official ASL products?
  14. Are you an ASLer if you played regularly 10 years ago, but never intend to play again?
Many people will know that I play drums in a band which have attained a reasonable level of local success. We're signed to a local record label. We're doing OK on the whole.

There is relevance to this..

I play drums. I took a 20 year hiatus from drums during a somewhat unfulfilling and challenging marriage to my first wife. I also took a 20 year hiatus from playing ASL. My first wife, in short, did not like any of my hobbies.

Yet, I always considered myself "a drummer" and always considered my hobby "ASL".

When I met my current wonderful wife around six years back I was allowed immediately to resume former hobbies. So, I almost instantly got back into music, and ASL. And within a couple of years I'd won a couple of ASL tournaments, and played supporting slots for bands which I'd followed avidly in my youth. UK Subs, Sham 69, The Jam, Stiff Little Fingers.

So...My real answer to your question. You never have to "qualify" to be an ASL player. That's a load of pretentious crap. Just like you never have to "qualify" to be a musician. It's bullshit. You just are, or you are not. And that's that.

Is my opinion.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Makes sense, and if you have been playing that long I am surprised you have not got the whole RB in your head, damned if I can do that.:D
Take any kind of break and a lot just evaporates! :)
Its funny though, some folks grasp certain things easier than others.
For example: when I bought my first ASL kit (rules, BV, Para, RB, & Streets of Fire) used, the guy I got it from had the blind spot equation written on each of the two CRTs.
I never had a use for it since I found the rule pretty easy to break down to a simple formula and keep in my head.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I have spoken with MMP, and they have authorized me (for a hefty licensing fee) to be the sole authority on who is and who is not an ASL player. If you have a person or persons about whom you are interested in knowing, PM me a list of names and I will make the determination. I have not yet established a pricing model, but I expect to shortly. Due to said licensing fee I will have to charge for this service, but after receiving payment I can promise you a quick response to your inquiries. Again, I am now the sole authority on determining who is and who is not an ASL player.

JR