ASL Open who's going and what ya plan on playing?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Well, I plan on making it to the Chicago ASL open this upcoming weekend and looking at the scenario list I think my first choice for the first round might be the Commissars House or Tigers and Flames.

The second round scenario choices are not really to my liking so my first choice would be Iron Greeting from the any round category.

The third Round looks great with some tough choices, I like Both BFP's Panzer Spirit and Bridge to Nowhere, so I might have to flip a coin on which scenario to play lol.

The forth round does not look all that appealing with only one scenario in that round I like which is Merz Zoo. The rest of those scenarios in that round are just way to dicey or have some murky VC's.

The Fifth Round does not look all that great, basically none of the scenarios are really appealing, so I might go with Acts of Defiance, a solid classic that's a lot of fun to play.

For the Sixth round I'll probably pick a Polish requiem, a good solid scenario from the FrF guys.

Anyway, so who is going, and what scenarios on the ASL open list do you want to play?

Scott

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Well, I plan on making it to the Chicago ASL open this upcoming weekend ...

... and what scenarios on the ASL open list do you want to play?

Scott
Travelling from the "Nort' Woods of Cheesehead land" and have to agree on the 2nd round. My thoughts are (in no particular order for the round noted):
  1. AP116 Mook Point (Short & Sweet-catch another game that night); DB130 Tiger & Flames (A hoot to play); BFP175 Schreiber's Success (like the German Balance)
  2. FrF29 Sting of the Italian Hornet (though played to death) & you said it, probably an "Any Rounder" Always like DB92 Streets of Kharkov.
  3. SP255 Anatoly's Ambush (decent); YASL6 Hein Olshana (neat SSR for the StuGs); J19 Merzenhausen Zoo (heck got 8 hours to play & it's an all time fav.)
  4. SP254 Propitious Arrival (wishy-washy on this one); WO18 A Quick Strike (another fast paced one-early to bed); And again have to look hard at Any Rounders" SP262 Urdom Done was a fun scenario & is in the running.
  5. FrF26 A Polish Requiem (don't know why they added a balance & didn't use the MMP BoF published scenario that basically does the same); ASL160 Battin' Buckeyes (Again a favorite); DB65 Shock at Kamenenwo (just for fun, but not if I'm it it at the end).
Bring'en some "Leinies" for libations, Cheese & Crackers (what else) for nourishment; and a hanker'in to have at some good ASL with great people. Hopefully see ya there (NOTE: I'll share Leinies & snacks if ya play nice!):cool:

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going to be there too Scott. I will play whatever my opponent wants to probably, hell I don't even own half the list! Won't have copies until Mr. De Young drops them in my lap!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Look forward to gunning it up with ya Steve.

Scott

I'm going to be there too Scott. I will play whatever my opponent wants to probably, hell I don't even own half the list! Won't have copies until Mr. De Young drops them in my lap!

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So far 43 reservations/pre-paid registrations. Usually there are a few walk ins, so this year will hover just short of 50 players. See you all next week.

David

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Commissar's House would be a fine scenario except the damn house ends up having about a battalion's worth of units in it at all levels. One little slip ... poof ... the next half hour is spent getting everything back to where it was.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So far 43 reservations/pre-paid registrations. Usually there are a few walk ins, so this year will hover just short of 50 players. See you all next week.

David
David, my brother got promoted to Sgt which means he is in training and can't take the vacation days he signed up for, so he will not be coming even though I pre-reged for him.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well which scenario title is cooler Commissars House or Moot Point? lol

Anyway, that first round looks rough, With Moot Point, I am not a fan of small scenarios with OBA. Tigers and Flames seems fairly balanced but if you have a player that knows his Armor rules well, keeps those OT-34's in motion and use Human waves to gain ground, I think the Germans are in trouble. Schribers Success looks interesting but is very boring I think for the defender. So ya, my first round choice will most likely be the Commies House.

Scott

Commissar's House would be a fine scenario except the damn house ends up having about a battalion's worth of units in it at all levels. One little slip ... poof ... the next half hour is spent getting everything back to where it was.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always liked the "Bolshevik's Bungalow" but it seems to be fairly scripted: Trash the Apothecary Apartments on the flank quickly, roust the Russians from the trenches in the center, and destroy the defenses of the objective with massive FP-Move in, Mopp up-game over. I've found the OBA in Mook Point to be of only marginal impact & in no way an overwhelming presence. The only thing I didn't care for in Tigers & Flames was the auto balance for the Germans giving them a 75L ATG ILO the 50L, a bit of overkill if the Germs are good/lucky with their Tigers especially if the Ruskies are unlucky with the SU's or worse with a flamer or two. I tend to lean towards Mook Point as being the most balanced of the bunch.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well with moot point you have a VC that is for accountant types where as in Commis house you just have to make sure there are no GO squads in a couple of buildings. So which scenario do I want to play? one where the VC makes my head swim or one that I can grok in a new York minute? I'll go with the easy VC.

Always liked the "Bolshevik's Bungalow" but it seems to be fairly scripted: Trash the Apothecary Apartments on the flank quickly, roust the Russians from the trenches in the center, and destroy the defenses of the objective with massive FP-Move in, Mopp up-game over. I've found the OBA in Mook Point to be of only marginal impact & in no way an overwhelming presence. The only thing I didn't care for in Tigers & Flames was the auto balance for the Germans giving them a 75L ATG ILO the 50L, a bit of overkill if the Germs are good/lucky with their Tigers especially if the Ruskies are unlucky with the SU's or worse with a flamer or two. I tend to lean towards Mook Point as being the most balanced of the bunch.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I enjoyed playing Anatoly's Ambush, lots of choices and maneuvering on both sides. It might be a bit skewed in favor of the Germans. I was the Russians playing Curtis Brooks and he almost won! :D

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When is the ASL Open and where? Holst said it starts on Thursdays now. I didn't see anything on it at the ASL Events sub-menu.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct it is at the end of this month.

Rich and I did get together earlier this week and played Shock at Kamenewvo. This is a very counter dense scenario with mile high stacks at times. This alone is enough to stay away from this one. It is also super dicey, even though it looks like a medium sized scenario, the amount of dice rolling for the Russians is crazy insane. I really did not like the VC due to the stipulation the Russian player had to have 1 counter across the bridge which can be hit or miss depending on the Germans set up. Not a fun scenario and very micro managing in both SSR's and set up, but with this designer, you learn to expect such designs. BTW, the intro and aftermath seems a lot different than the actual scenario.

Scott

Last edited:

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When is the ASL Open and where? Holst said it starts on Thursdays now. I didn't see anything on it at the ASL Events sub-menu.
Really close to you Bob, the Holiday Inn on Cumberland (171) right off I-90.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After I posted that I saw the ASL Open entry on page two of the events thread. Dammit I'm a fat, white, American male .... I expect things to be on page one for my convenience. Thank you Djo Hannsen and The Booker. It is right by my house. There is no way I can take off Thursday or Friday but I have no excuse for not coming in Saturday for some gaming if that doesn't screw up Dave's computerized rankings and match-ups.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With the amount of time available for scenario play, there should be no problem arriving a little late & still have time to get in a game.

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob,

If you want to come just Saturday, no problem. It does not screw up anything.

The mini tournament starts Friday at 6:30 p.m. One round Friday, two rounds Saturday. Anyone who can make it by 6:30 p.m. Friday, is automatically in the mini tournament.

David

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,
See you there my friend.

Here's my two cents:
Round 1 - plenty of meat to chew on, several good choices. Mood point is too light for a ten hour round. Not up for BRT.
2- played most of them recently. Pulling out and sting in January and fontenay twice last year. All good but I'm drooling over partisans vs. nkvd of no simple victory. Looks cool, although rolling for elr drop is inherently dicey.
3- several good choices again. I'm leaning towards Shan capital. Had a good warm up game with Vic rosso that went right to the wire.
4- Merz zoo for sure! kiss of fury and pot are weird (in a good or bad way I'm not sure). Hein olsHana is not balanced enough for my taste. Anatoly's looks interesting for both sides.
5- again several good choices, snova seems like a groovy guessing game, costly baptism is good plain vanilla asl, quick strike is PTO in a manageable package.
6 -haven't tried most of these. Lots of afv's in some. the speed of play of my opponent will be a factor as I have a flight in the mid afternoon. Probably bid for the offense to manage time a bit more.

Looking forward to seeing the men of the great mid-west!

Paul