Organizing our many "issues"

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Since returning to ASL, now more than a year ago, I have come to realize that keeping track of Errata, Q&As, debated issues, plus my (growing larger) collection of "things-I-keep-forgetting" or "know-I-will-probably-get-wrong-again-the-next-time" is a complicated process. Why just this morning I displayed a spectacular example of my disorganization on these matters!

Klas and others do a great job helping us compile all of these, but what other systems do folks employ? Besides all of the sticky Errata and the marginalia which blacken the edges of every RB page, any hints for keeping track of the minutiae?

I guess there's a lot of obvious options, but I wonder what some folks try or what the obsessive do? Or do many just research/take counsel and hope they remember everything the next time?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
When it comes to rules questions in the Rules and Errata folder which didn't lead to a Perry Sez, I make a forum search (which is not as easy as it were with the previous version of the forum).

As a side remark, I would recommend people who have questions to spell them clearly in the title of the thread (with the rules paragraphe reference if possible) - and also tag them with the most important notions.
This happily is the case here most of the time, but sometimes there are threads with titles like "Some rules questions" which don't help other players who could have the same questions.
I would also suggest that one opens a thread per question - it also helps find a thread more easily.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I add the Q&A to my eASLRB for ease of consultation and add alll the errata to it when I get hold of the Journal.
As for rules questions I search using Google adding gamesquad to the search. Normally finds the requesite threads if they exist.
To be honest though, most questions are resolved by agreement with the "correct" answer being obtained for our own satisfaction later. E.G. on Friday I gleefully overran Tony's HMG in a building with my Pz4. We knew about the various bog and esb rolls but couldn't recall if the -1 streetfighting advantage applied if you were IN the building (it doesn't). After a quick check we played the way we thought it should and rooled the dice. Later I checked the actual ruling just for my satisfaction. No, the -1 does not apply if you are IN the obstacle, only if you are bypassing it.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Excellent Guys! And I find the Texas ASL website a great clearinghouse for such materials, too. I have downloaded and used a lot of the above, though organizing player aids can be it's own problem!

But what of the "little rules we keep forgetting", even though they are not actually debatable? Yes, it's nice when they finally become "second nature," but it's amazing how many detailed, but straightforward, situations occur, actually, quite rarely. It can be time consuming to reread entire sections of rules just to confirm that I knew 98.73% of it already! ...But I guess that's ASL!

And then there's the knottier issues that you've already researched, asked questions about, and come to a conclusion on. Sometimes I make note that a ruling was issued "by consensus" or by a Perry Sez, whether or not I feel completely comfortable with the conclusion.

I have running lists of all of the above, however jumbled they can seem. They're not collated with my Errata, Q&As or Perry Sez, though. I suppose one tends to remember the tougher RB battles we fight. But do folks find a way to better catalogue these things. It could get obsessive... Perhaps my thread already is!:study:

Oh, and I do like S&S's very constructive comment:

As a side remark, I would recommend people who have questions to spell them clearly in the title of the thread.
Amen.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This forum is a great resource if you have questions, I also post in the ASL FB group and have gotten almost instant answers that were not only timely, but useful! The internet has made playing ASL much easier and simpler in so many ways....