New members introduce yourself here

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank you Ian!
This feels like a friendly forum with lots of great people.
Correction...

"This feels like a forum with lots of people."

Anyway, welcome to the hobby. Sweden is a great place for ASL, there are 3 tournaments per year and there is also the Swedish ASL forum, where you can post in your own funny language.

The language of diapers is the same all across the world, of course.

SimonP

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi, started playing back in the day when ASL was new and shiny. Hadn't played for nearly 20 years until late last year when I met an opponent through Boardgamegeek. God I'm old, 55 pushing 56, living in Portsmouth UK with the current wife, 17 yo son, 1 dog, 4 cats and a hamster. Tonight I am playing Operation varsity from the Rivers to the Rhine scenario pack but soon, very soon, we'll be starting Pegasus Bridge.

Last edited:

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello Simon and welcome.
Pity you are so far away. We are a similar age as are many on here and you are far from the oldest.
Enjoy!

Gavin

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi, started playing back in the day when ASL was new and shiny. Hadn't played for nearly 20 years until late last year when I met an opponent through Boardgamegeek. God I'm old, 55 pushing 56, living in Portsmouth UK with the current wife, 17 yo son, 1 dog, 4 cats and a hamster. Tonight I am playing Operation varsity from the Rivers to the Rhine scenario pack but soon, very soon, we'll be starting Pegasus Bridge.
Welcome to Gamesquad, even though your towards the tip of the UK other ASL'ers are not too far away so hopefully you can get some FTF. Also Bournemouth has a ASL tourny in I think October so could be a great weekend for you.

Ian

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello Simon and welcome.
Pity you are so far away. We are a similar age as are many on here and you are far from the oldest.
Enjoy!

Gavin
Hi Gavin, will you make Heroes this year? I will be there with James, would be great to catch up

Ian

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Gavin, will you make Heroes this year? I will be there with James, would be great to catch up

Ian
Ian
It is possible I might get over but it is looking unlikely I'm afraid.
Glad to hear James is still playing despite the distractions that arrive at his age ( sex and drugs and rock and roll).
It would be great to catch up.
Gavin

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ian
It is possible I might get over but it is looking unlikely I'm afraid.
Glad to hear James is still playing despite the distractions that arrive at his age ( sex and drugs and rock and roll).
It would be great to catch up.
Gavin
Fingers crossed you get across, James still plays alright but you would not recognise him. He is a tree surgeon and built like a brick outhouse!!

Ian

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am somewhat new to this forum. I am one of the ones who started with Squad Leader in the late '70s and played up through to ASL. About the time ASL started I got married and life basically took over. I am coming back to the hobby after a 30 some odd year absence. I got up to Yanks and now I find myself scrambling to accumulate the rest of the system. Most core modules are out of print and it is unclear when they will come back. There is always eBay but a lot of the prices are ridiculous. I find myself piecing things together a few units at a time. Another thing that I have noticed is that is that publishers and authors, (the ones I have ran across so far since coming back) are no longer putting in a bibliography. This is was a trend of which I heartedly approved and I am somewhat sad to see it discontinued. The lack of historical method means one can not duplicate the research. This may come from a lack of academic background in the authors and publishers but I do not know. It is also too bad that there is not an eBook version of the ASL rulebook as that would be much easier to read and a great deal handier.

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Welcome back Bob, I'm sure you can pick up what you need. If you have BV and Yanks then you have plenty to be going on with, just keep your eyes open.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome back to the game, Bob.
I hope you can find a reasonably priced copy of Rising Sun someday, it sure would be a shame to miss out on the PTO stuff.
At any rate, I'm sure you'll have fun with what you have already.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome back to the game, Bob.
I hope you can find a reasonably priced copy of Rising Sun someday, it sure would be a shame to miss out on the PTO stuff.
At any rate, I'm sure you'll have fun with what you have already.
I was lucky with that one I was able to find a copy of both Gung Ho and Code of Bushido really cheap. They were both missing some inconsequential parts. The box in one case and the maps in the other. I was able to order the map boards and who needs the box. Now if I could just find AoO and Doomed Battalions that cheap. Oddly enough I also got a shinked wrapped copy of Hakkaa Paalle for little more than half price.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob, don't confuse "Out of Print" & "Out of Stock" they do not necessarily infer the same. By the way, several old 1st or 2nd ed. DBs can be found relatively easily. You will of course have to make all the Errata changes, but these are posted on the MMP site.Best of luck and welcome back to some "old guy" my age!:p

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed, it was like that back when they were still AH. I was told that given the resources needed we may not see Rising Sun reprinted and given the price of DB on eBay I think I'll try to find Allied Minor AFVs in other ways. I don't want to wait for MMP as I suspect I'd be waiting until hell freezes over. I bought Poland in Flames (soon to come), ASL Journal 2 has a couple of Dutch Armored Cars along with some other cool stuff, and CH has a counter sheet with tanks and guns from Belgium so there are some available. I think of it as a treasure hunt.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I guess that I'll stop in and introduce myself. I'm just getting into ASL. I self-taught ASLSK #1 and solo played several of the scenarios. I really enjoyed the game and decided this year to step up to the real deal. I got hooked-up with my local club (the Fredericksburg Fire Eaters) and have started playing infantry-only scenarios. My first attempt at ASL came by popping in at this year's Winter Offensive and spending about 4 1/2 hours with one of the guys getting a run down on the rules beyond the SKs and then playing "Going to Church." I've since played a couple more games with one of the local guys and simply love the game (hell, I've already plunked down money on Precision Battledice).

I served as a grunt in the USMC way back in the late '80's and early '90's, so my goal is to get comfortable enough with ASL to jump up to the PTO. Taking the advice of an ASL player on the Facebook group, I grabbed one of the last copies of "Rising Sun" to be found at "normal" prices. I am looking forward to the day that I chuck the Chapter G rules into my binder and start punching those counters.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here djo.
I hope that you will find all the useful resources on this forum to make your development of ASL gaming really fun.

Servius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello from Minnesota,

I'm another ASL player from way back. Played it in college ~30 years ago and I'm enjoying the nostalgia.

A few years ago (6-8) a coworker was getting into the game and I was tempted to jump back in but couldn't largely because of time and children.

I'm 50 now and #1 son is old enough to play with and we're working our way through SK#1. I don't believe we played the rules very well at all back in the day. Maybe that's why my law student friend won all the games. :(

Anyway, the plan is to play through all the SK games twice taking turns as attacker and defender. After each game, I pour over the rule book looking for anything we missed or did wrong. I'm also taking what I learn and I'm preparing a set of 'Phase Sheets' a summary of processes, major tables and small modifiers needed for each phase. You know, the stuff you look up incessantly when you're first learning. I'm finding making these sheets to be a major help in learning the details. It also serves as a phase indicator. (It sits in a notebook and you turn the page for the next phase.)

Once we get through the 3 starter kits we'll make the jump to full rules and I'd like to get to some of the Historical battles and maybe become a regular at some of the tournaments.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello from Minnesota,

I'm another ASL player from way back. Played it in college ~30 years ago and I'm enjoying the nostalgia.

A few years ago (6-8) a coworker was getting into the game and I was tempted to jump back in but couldn't largely because of time and children.

I'm 50 now and #1 son is old enough to play with and we're working our way through SK#1. I don't believe we played the rules very well at all back in the day. Maybe that's why my law student friend won all the games. :(

Anyway, the plan is to play through all the SK games twice taking turns as attacker and defender. After each game, I pour over the rule book looking for anything we missed or did wrong. I'm also taking what I learn and I'm preparing a set of 'Phase Sheets' a summary of processes, major tables and small modifiers needed for each phase. You know, the stuff you look up incessantly when you're first learning. I'm finding making these sheets to be a major help in learning the details. It also serves as a phase indicator. (It sits in a notebook and you turn the page for the next phase.)

Once we get through the 3 starter kits we'll make the jump to full rules and I'd like to get to some of the Historical battles and maybe become a regular at some of the tournaments.
Your 'phase sheet' idea sounds like a good idea for learning the system, especially if you aren't regularly playing against an experienced player.

When you are ready to take the leap to full ASL, you might want to check out the 2 Half Squads podcast. They did a series of episodes a few years ago, each of which were dedicated to the processes in each of the game phases. I found it to be very informative.

Good luck, and welcome back!

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, before you start spending a lot of money, check out the product reviews on the Desperation morale.com website. Every ASL product is covered, with humorous reviews and photographs. This site could save you from some expensive regrets.

Servius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. I have found both of those websites and will take a look for 2 Half Squads' episodes on the phase processes. They seem to enjoy themselves.