Hillock LOS to level 1

JazzJeff

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We are getting ready to play G45 Halha River Bridge and I have a question regarding hillock LOS.
See the illustration. The dune is High and all hexes west of the river are at level 1.
Does a LOS exist between J6 and C3?

Attachments

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The sand dunes are only at one half level elevation so there is no LOS because of the plateau effect of the level 1 terrain. D3 has LOS, but not C3.

F7.5 A High Dune contains Dune Crest hexsides, but its sand hexes are treated as hillock (6.) hexes as well as sand hexes. Hillock is one half level height.

JazzJeff

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes indeed, crest line block LOS to lower levels but in preparation for the scenario, I read the hillock rules (no easy task) and I'm puzzled by F6.6 regarding hillock summits, which are level 1.
Consider the illustration.
Reading F6.6, there seems to be a los as indicated because the summits are treated as an hillock on top of a hillock. Am I wrong or missing something?
Or Hilllock summits are gouverned by different LOS rules from normal level 1 hexes?

Attachments

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Is there a Hillock Summit specified in the scenario? If so, where?

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Yes indeed, crest line block LOS to lower levels but in preparation for the scenario, I read the hillock rules (no easy task) and I'm puzzled by F6.6 regarding hillock summits, which are level 1.
Consider the illustration.
Reading F6.6, there seems to be a los as indicated because the summits are treated as an hillock on top of a hillock. Am I wrong or missing something?
Or Hilllock summits are gouverned by different LOS rules from normal level 1 hexes?
I'd say there is LOS in the second example of JazzJeff, from the Hillock summit to a Hillock hex, even if LOS crosses another Hillock Summit hex, just for the same reason that a LOS exists from M6 to M10. I think that LOS from Hillock Summit to a Hillock is treated the same way than LOS from Hillock to 0-level.

Should the example consider a 1-level HILL (not Hillock), i'd say no LOS existed if it crosses another 1-level hill hexes, as per the usual rules.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
IMO a hillock summit is equivalent to normal hillocks from any units in hillocks and normal one level hill from units not in hillocks.. so 2nd example is clear LOS.. A level one hill is not a hillock because the plateau effect of hills.. So no LOS past the crest hex on the first example.. Need to be at level one or higher to see there..