Pocket Rulebook Experience at ASLOK

mooreshawnm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't misunderstand I bought it immediately and haven't used the full rule book since.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I love the pocket RB. So now I have little excuse for not reading it more. Electronic / scanned versions are great for reference but when I read, I wanna highlight and write all over the page.

Adding the errata and updating it would have taken longer as folks will need to proofread it front to back to make sure if things are done properly and if all the errata actually jive together when put together.

This RB is sold as is. It was clear from the start. An option for people who want more is to wait for an updated product.

Rgds Jack

mooreshawnm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another option is to bitch about the less than perfect (while using it and loving it) soft cover RB while waiting for v3.0 of the rules. I chose this option! :p

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It wouldn't take two years. Insert the errata. Reformat so pics fit right. Update the page numbers and page number references. Print.
How many 300 page books (that's what the ASLRB is) have you laid out, out of curiosity? I've done at least four. My guess is that your ability to post on the internet exceeds your experience with the subject at hand. ;-)

mooreshawnm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He's here...this public grumbling will continue until AoO is reprinted.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Just got the Pocket Rulebook and am wondering if this is the common way to handle it. People put a mark next to the rules that have errata so they can flip to the Errata section?

I'm really surprised they didn't fully incorporate the available errata. Yes, it would have been more work, but *that* much more? IMO, the result is just not as clean as it could have been. Frustratingly so.
I highlighted the rule number if there is errata for it.

Peace

Roger

RaphaelC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hello All,

As this thread is dedicated to the Pocket Rulebook, here is my experience to date:

Just over A month ago (8th Feb) I received a copy of the ASL Pocket edition Rulebook.

Within two weeks the orange cover lamination had started to peel away from the cardboard cover all around the sides and bottom.

As I forsee the book getting a fair bit of use I was a little worried that this might get worse and contacted the online retailer with my concerns about the quality of this, not inexpensive, product.

I have heard nothing from him for over two weeks, despite his managing to continue sending a weekly newsletter. I then contacted MMP direct, but have heard nothing from them either.

I would like to buy a second copy for my friend's birthday, but am somewhat reluctant to do so now.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,

Raphael

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, take it to your equivalent of Fedex/Kinkos and have it spiral bound for $9US. FWIW, I have two of the pockets, one that was spiral bound recently and one that isn't, both of which have received an extreme amount of usage, and neither one is developing the problems you've described.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My own copy is getting close to a year, and I haven't been too kind to it, regularly putting it into my travel bag. So far the corners are a little worn and the backcover was inadvertently folded once, but it's still holding pretty well.

I'd consider spiral binding if I knew where to get it done safely. My experience of spiral bound, thick books is that sometimes the spiral adds to the strain when the book is in a bag. (But then, considering the amount of money I've put into ASL material since I started playing again, maybe I could buy a second pRB for this...)