New Vasl Player: managing expectations

heliodorus04

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a thread over in the Vassal forum regarding the fact that I don't use audio/microphone because of an impairment, and up to now I have never played anything in Vassal except X-Wing Miniatures.

I would like to give ASL on Vassal a try (emphasis on try).
What I want to know is how likely I am to find an opponent who will be comfortable with my needs for a first-time game in the medium.

I have a small scenario picked out (A33 "Tettau's Attack") that uses 1 board, and a combined 15 squads (but oddly is 11 turns long) and has only MMG/LMG, with no scenario special rules that will trip me up. I even have it set up and saved in Vassal already. I'm not up on my hotkeys, but I will be before I play.

I need to find a place to find an opponent, but I'd like to play a turn or two (or 90 minutes or so) per evening, as I get accustomed to the new medium. And I'm in the Mountain Time Zone but I can play in various periods because of a varied work schedule (and part-time at that).

Does anyone have any advice about how I should go about soliciting a game with these needs of mine (and where I should try to solicit one?), particularly the non-audio/microphone (and visual - no Skype etc.)? I'm an old-schooler who would always prefer counters in my hand, but I need to practice my ASL and Vassal seems like the only way I can.

Thanks for any advice. (My Vassal solo setup of Tettau's Attack, A33, ASL Annual 91)
upload_2016-11-18_16-43-28.png

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello. Back in the day, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, we used to type back and forth to each other and play VASL, so it can be done. There are a couple of ways to find opponents. One of them, you just used.

Another is to go to the VASL server yourself and hit the blue exclamation mark at the top of your server controls. This indicates you are interested in playing. Someone will either connect to you with an instant message or type right in the main room chat window if they are interested in playing.

There is also an opponents wanted sub-forum right here on Game Squad that you can try to reach opponents through as well. I won't lie, many people will be put off with the need to type, however, one solution would be to let the opponent connect to you by Skype while you type. If you can allow that, then they talk while you type and it does help whenever a rules question should come up.

There are indeed many people here who do play on VASL and I am sure some of them would be happy to get a game going with you. I wish you luck. Were it not for the fact that playing during the week is just about impossible for me and my weekends are crammed, I wouldn't mind starting one either.
Good luck, hope that helps.

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi
My 2 cents is join the PBEM group and have every rule, every step explained slowly! - yes its not real time!!! but its a great learning platform for rules

Rob

heliodorus04

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am in GMT minus 7, Mountain Standard Time.
How does one even play by e-mail?

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
It's really no different than how you are describing how you need to play. Type out all of the "orders" just before you move units. Detail out fire attacks, both the firepower and the modifiers. Look for logical "breaks" in the action to send logfiles to each other. If you will PM me with your email address, I can send you some logfiles to step through and see how I do it (everyone is a little different).

If my current dance card wasn't full with work and some gaming, I'd be more than happy to step you through it.

Cheers,

Mark

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
As others have noted, VASL is actually set up very well for PBEM. Indeed, in the 90's before the time of the VASL live server, the only way you could play with VASL was by email.

There is the capability to produce a log file that your opponent can step through. Just how you choreograph the log file and D-fire events can be done a number of ways and vary by personal preference. It typically takes 2-6 log files to complete a movement phase. The moving player will often move units (as many as possible) to "see what that scares up" and then carries on with subsequent logs based on those results.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you ever find a game? I'm in the PST zone and am new to vassal myself.