Hacksaw Ridge - are you going to watch it?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going.

It got a 10 minute standing ovation at the Venice film festival.

BTW - I tore up my knee playing basketball, so I'm out from work for awhile. And no hiking or basketball for 4-6 weeks. So, you guys have got to keep me entertained... (start lots of flame wars, so I can throw some gasoline). Along with Grimm seasons 4 & 5, Vikings season 2, Spartacus s2, Avatar: The Airbender all 3 seasons (a gift from my boys) all on DVD. And numerous books and rulebooks to euro games when the guys are coming over the next few weekends to entertain me and whip up on me when I'm on pain meds. ;)

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I will see it, but I will be enduring the first part with teeth clenched as I watch our hero get abused by his fellow soldiers during training. I am curious, though, why this happens. Could he not have volunteered as an unarmed medic from the start?

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I am going to watch it (dude had balls see below) all the while hoping people would stop posting non-ASL stuff in the ASL section, really its not complicated:D:p:cool:

Peace

Roger

The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Private First Class Desmond Thomas Doss, United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action above and beyond the call of duty from April 29 - 21 May 1945, while serving with the Medical Detachment, 307th Infantry Regiment, 77th Infantry Division, in action at Urasoe Mura, Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands. Private First Class Doss was a company aid man when the 1st Battalion assaulted a jagged escarpment 400 feet high. As our troops gained the summit, a heavy concentration of artillery, mortar and machine gun fire crashed into them, inflicting approximately 75 casualties and driving the others back. Pfc. Doss refused to seek cover and remained in the fire-swept area with the many stricken, carrying all 75 casualties one-by-one to the edge of the escarpment and there lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of a cliff to friendly hands. On May 2, he exposed himself to heavy rifle and mortar fire in rescuing a wounded man 200 yards forward of the lines on the same escarpment; and 2 days later he treated 4 men who had been cut down while assaulting a strongly defended cave, advancing through a shower of grenades to within eight yards of enemy forces in a cave's mouth, where he dressed his comrades' wounds before making 4 separate trips under fire to evacuate them to safety. On May 5, he unhesitatingly braved enemy shelling and small arms fire to assist an artillery officer. He applied bandages, moved his patient to a spot that offered protection from small arms fire and, while artillery and mortar shells fell close by, painstakingly administered plasma. Later that day, when an American was severely wounded by fire from a cave, Pfc. Doss crawled to him where he had fallen 25 feet from the enemy position, rendered aid, and carried him 100 yards to safety while continually exposed to enemy fire. On May 21, in a night attack on high ground near Shuri, he remained in exposed territory while the rest of his company took cover, fearlessly risking the chance that he would be mistaken for an infiltrating Japanese and giving aid to the injured until he was himself seriously wounded in the legs by the explosion of a grenade. Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited 5 hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover. The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Pfc. Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter; and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man. Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, by a sniper bullet while being carried off the field by a comrade, this time suffering a compound fracture of one arm. With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards over rough terrain to the aid station. Through his outstanding bravery and unflinching determination in the face of desperately dangerous conditions Pfc. Doss saved the lives of many soldiers. His name became a symbol throughout the 77th Infantry Division for outstanding gallantry far above and beyond the call of duty.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I will see it, but I will be enduring the first part with teeth clenched as I watch our hero get abused by his fellow soldiers during training. I am curious, though, why this happens. Could he not have volunteered as an unarmed medic from the start?
yeah that is going to be trying. We get it, been there done that

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Given Gibson's, shall we say, less then pristine record in treating historical events on film, I would have to say likely not. If some historians comment that it has done a faithful job with the history, I might sneak a peak, but even then, just a maybe. His films always have stirring battle sequences, but they are about as accurate as a political speech, (your choice of sides). There you go Rob, that should get your flame war going. :)

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Already scheduled for date night with SWMBO Friday night.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can't handle the violence anymore, so probably won't go see it.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going.

BTW - I tore up my knee playing basketball, so I'm out from work for awhile. And no hiking or basketball for 4-6 weeks. So, you guys have got to keep me entertained... (start lots of flame wars, so I can throw some gasoline). Along with Grimm seasons 4 & 5, Vikings season 2, Spartacus s2, Avatar: The Airbender all 3 seasons (a gift from my boys) all on DVD. And numerous books and rulebooks to euro games when the guys are coming over the next few weekends to entertain me and whip up on me when I'm on pain meds. ;)
I'll wait for it to hit Redbox. We only make it out to the theaters for one, maybe two, movies a year. Next one we'll go to for sure will be Rogue One.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a war flick, I was once a warrior and usually enjoy them all, even the hokey ones. I'll go hopefully because it'll be entertaining for me, not to get the historical info or feel of it (been there, done that). Heck, I enjoyed "Fury" and that wasn't the most highly rated flick I'd heard of in some time. It is good to see some people are still enamored of our WW-II heroes though.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am going to watch it (dude had balls see below) all the while hoping people would stop posting non-ASL stuff in the ASL section, really its not complicated:D:p:cool:.
Tried posting in the off topic area, but there are no threads there. When I clicked on the off topic area it took me to home of GS with nowhere to go.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tried posting in the off topic area, but there are no threads there. When I clicked on the off topic area it took me to home of GS with nowhere to go.
Yeah, the link's been broken for ages. Not sure why it's never been fixed.

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doss was the first of 3 conscientious objectors to win Medal of Honors in the US.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Doss was the first of 3 conscientious objectors to win Medal of Honors in the US.
Anyone want to flame on the use of the word "Win"? :facepalm:

I know it's common usage, but many things in common usage are wrong. Listen to "Word Crimes" by Weird Al. He'll learn you something about words.

I just watched Fury this morning after putting it off for a while. Not a bad movie but totally BS at the end.

As for Hacksaw - if I can get someone to go along then I'll probably watch it but otherwise I might wait for TV. Movies are too expensive these days - unless it's Star Wars, in which case I'll watch it twice on the first day. :D:cool::D

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As for Hacksaw - if I can get someone to go along then I'll probably watch it but otherwise I might wait for TV. Movies are too expensive these days - unless it's Star Wars, in which case I'll watch it twice on the first day. :D:cool::D
So because it's so expensive, you'll only go if you can find someone else to shell out the same money? :)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going.

flame war material - the Cubs are going to win the pennant, period !! :D :D