disgusted and fed up with direction of ASL

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dunno what this is about. Just don't buy the new stuff as MMP is hardly forcing you to. I skipped almost all the 'reprints' prior to BV3 and did just fine.

My set is 20+ years old or whatever and for example, my BV era stuff is pretty old. I am happy with the new counters, maps, font size and scenario cards (pretty much in that order too). I would be fine with the old set, but appreciate the newer artwork, especially on the 'rouge' boards.

I have spoken against the ITR2 thing being basically ITR1 + 50% more (or whatever). However, BFP is excellent and I applaud their efforts. In this rare instance, I like MMP where they provide a legit option to get the new stuff in Red Factories without having to buy the stuff you have over again. I *am* buying the combo because the price difference is negligible, and well, the new counters, map, font size and scenario cards are worth it to me.

I will be buying the Italians, British, both Minor sets again when they come into print for the same reasons. Reluctantly, I will buy ITR2 but I am sure I will be buying all the other new BFP stuff as their crew and products are first rate.

I don't think I have bought CH since the DTW era and don't plan on damaging my retirement account any more than I have already done with their 'products'. YMMV, but I wouldn't lump BFP/MMP in with them.

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Asl is one of the few hobbies where you don't have to buy the latest stuff. Okay on with your old gear, you will still have plenty to play. If , though, this is a completist throwing in the towel then that has nothing to do with the hobby of playing asl.

I am not a big fan of publically throwing my toys from the pram. If you don't want to play then don't. It always has a hint of wishing other people to follow.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I am not a big fan of publically throwing my toys from the pram. If you don't want to play then don't. It always has a hint of wishing other people to follow.
On the other hand, he has a problem with the way he perceives the ASL product direction is going, justified in our opinion or not. Posting here might be a simple and safe way to vent his frustration and I am fine with that. I have posted about some counter inaccuracies, though I have never thought of quitting.

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Very civilised and un-twitter like of you. If he had not added the sentence
Good luck to the rest of you but my hobby dollars are going elsewhere.
then I would have agreed, but he did so I don't (not that my agreement matters either way).

I have yet to view any company who puts any weight at all to the commands of someone who refuses to buy their product.

I personally have also never been enamoured of people trying to spoil things for other people. Have the grace to leave quietly or to at least understand that other people will not feel the same way.

There is often no-one so iconoclastic as a beleiver who has lost his faith.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There is often no-one so iconoclastic as a beleiver who has lost his faith.
You confirm my impression that there is some cultic intolerance about someone daring express his frustration and quitting our hobby.
I don't find less acceptable making public one's frustrations than one's Prozac-fed fandom with sparkling eyes.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
While I have never bought Schwerpunkt, and only a few themed Rally Point packs that interested me, I have almost universally bought everything else.....until this year. I have never been a completionist, I just simply require the cannon fodder. Between solo and opposed playings, I average about 100 games a year. Assuming the irrelevancy of CH, which I do, there are not even that number of new scenarios released annually.

This is the first year that I noticed and decided that certain trends are growing more prevalent in scenario design, some to my liking and some not. My biggest gripe has been the proliferation of "variable OOB scenarios"; not what necessarily 'was there', but what 'could have been there'. Don't get me wrong, these are a blast to play, but I won't buy a scenario pack that only contains such. Yes, they add to replayability, but I walk the line between historically, dead-nuts (HASLs) scenarios and your average scenario that is the best recreation of exactly what type of units were there. The number of units that were present can be adjusted for playability and balance, but offering a pool of options of the type that might have been present has limited appeal to me.

So, am I disgusted, fed up, and leaving ASL? No way, baby! I simply quit buying what I knew would not be worth the money for me. Ordinarily I would say that output like Variable OOB scenarios is reacting to what the consumer wants, but ASL design is more a labor of love rather than a capitalistic, consumer-driven endeavor. Like someone said in the RB/RO/RF thread, the reason there is such a proliferation of Stalingrad material is because that is what interests the ones designing stuff. It is not consumer-interest driven, but designer-driven.

That being said, I have no problem at all with what 'the designers' choose to design. Like most ASL players, I do not have the impetus and dedication to design stuff, so I am grateful towards those who do provide us with it. So, I'm not abandoning ASL, I've just passed on a couple of packs this year (from one of my favorite publishers!) due to the overwhelming prevalence of Variable OOB scenarios. Now and again one is fine, but a whole pack of them, I'll pass. I have already amassed several sheets of paper full of scenario titles I own that I would like to play again, some I have enjoyed multiple times, and I will never want for something enjoyable to play.

Besides the aforementioned scenario type, I have had some poor to horrible experiences with design errata, slow players, tournament opponents, mail-order issues, 'opposite' personalities on the various forums, etc, etc, etc..... but even those occasional burrs under my saddle can in no way override my love for the greatest tactical wargame ever. The only valid reason I can think of for tossing the game in the trash would be if I thought the inherent design of the game itself, and the rules representing it, were so terribly wrong I didn't enjoy playing it.

If you find the inherent game system design and rules framework at least tolerable, every other thing I mentioned can be Bypassed (;)) or avoided for the most part.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Many here have quit, and some of us for a lengthy period of time, too. The odds are stacked against him though, because few ASL'ers have truly been successful with their attempts of breaking free, he'll be back... ;)

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have become completely disgusted with the decisions being made by the producers of ASL.
From the constant BS from Critical Hit to the reprint decisions at BFP (ITR2) to MMPs
decisions to include Dinant with CdG and now not to update the Red Barricades map but to
include overlays instead. I've had enough. I just canceled my Red Factories order.

The amount of errata the comes out in this hobby to things like Academy games issuing
a second edition of an $80.00 game I just bought leaves me feeling that this hobby is
no longer for me.

I've had enough.

BE GONE FOOL ! I cast thee into the outer darkness!

Last edited:

Megaloman

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I bet that you can have enough ASL-fun for the rest of your life even if you stop buying products.

And with the state the world is in right now, i find it funny that ASL, of all things, is what makes you use the word "disgusted" ;)

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have become completely disgusted with the decisions being made by the producers of ASL.
From the constant BS from Critical Hit to the reprint decisions at BFP (ITR2) to MMPs
decisions to include Dinant with CdG and now not to update the Red Barricades map but to
include overlays instead. I've had enough. I just canceled my Red Factories order.

The amount of errata the comes out in this hobby to things like Academy games issuing
a second edition of an $80.00 game I just bought leaves me feeling that this hobby is
no longer for me.

I've had enough.

Don't quit five minutes before the miracle (Slaughter at Ponyri is coming soon).