ASLOK Hotel

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
No, but the scantily clad waitress will bring you your coke on a tastefully framed mirror with gold plated razor blade and straw. Oh, not that kind ...
I reckon I'd leave the coke/blade and rather take the waitress on a platter. What's the ASL wisdom? It's a game of choices...

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Half of the ceiling panels are missing in the gaming room. Has the hotel been tested for asbestos?

JR

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Half of the ceiling panels are missing in the gaming room. Has the hotel been tested for asbestos?

JR
I worked around asbestos for years in the engine room and it didn't affect me. Hack hoof hah hah whoo. Sorry, that happens now and then. Actually more now.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
After hearing about all the problems with the hotel, I'd check afterwards to see that everyone got out alive. Hotel California? I'd worry if the next event after the end of ASLOK was a special "All You Can Eat Ribs Night".

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Ninjas aren't the issue. But beware of FOBA...

von Marwitz
Of course in America you have to watch out for Raccoons. Unlike cats they can open doors using the handles, open jars, get in nearly anywhere and generally are more adept than cats. While they like playing ASL (they love rolling dice), their lack of opposable thumbs means that they too often knock over counter stacks. Other hazards are more seasonal like the migratory and noisy member of the seal family Mirounga Pitmanicus, who likes to lounge around, but are quite affable unless disturbed.

FrankJ

Cap'n Crud
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of course in America you have to watch out for Raccoons. Unlike cats they can open doors using the handles, open jars, get in nearly anywhere and generally are more adept than cats. While they like playing ASL (they love rolling dice), their lack of opposable thumbs means that they too often knock over counter stacks. Other hazards are more seasonal like the migratory and noisy member of the seal family Mirounga Pitmanicus, who likes to lounge around, but are quite affable unless disturbed.
The raccoons are not as bad as the "drop bears" I encountered in Australia!

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Nobody "encounters" a drop bear and lives to tell the tale.

What you may have seen is the Pierson's "False" Drop Bear, which has many of the same traits but prefers to nuzzle earlobes rather than eat brains.

Another one that often confuses people is the Spring Bear. Out back in the Outback there aren't that many trees so a Drop Bear has a hard time making a living. It evolved instead into the Spring Bear, which lurks in the bushes, and prefers testicles to brains.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The more immediate problem is that there are no blinds or curtains on the windows. When the sun is setting for about thirty minutes if you are the player facing west you are subject to severe sun blindness. I expect by next year they will have window coverings.

Someone asked whether they will try to jack up the prices for next year after the upgrade is complete.

JR

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The more immediate problem is that there are no blinds or curtains on the windows. When the sun is setting for about thirty minutes if you are the player facing west you are subject to severe sun blindness. I expect by next year they will have window coverings.

Someone asked whether they will try to jack up the prices for next year after the upgrade is complete.

JR
So i have to bring my Oakley shades next year ? :cool:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
One of the staff told me that the hotel will be a Sheraton Hotel after the remodel, pricing will be interesting.

Rich

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did not spend much time looking up at the ceiling. It was hard not to notice all of the dirt and debris but for me, all of the construction did not prove a distraction at all. Going down one flight for the restroom was not too inconvenient--the one on the sixth floor is always busy anyway and in the past I just go down to the courtesy room in that situation.
So, not really a big deal for me.
I don't drink coke anyway.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
My main complaint was about whoever occupied room 225. I wanted to get up at five thirty this morning and head for NC but like the previous evening Philippe and I had to listen to a blaring TV set in the middle of the night that disturbed our sleep. Thus I left at four and alerted the "Russian" front desk which called that room without result and headed up. I then beat feat for NC. I do not think it was one of us as I did not recognize the person when I saw him enter the room on Friday.

As for the sun and the Japanese hot box torture on the window side alcove of the ballroom all I can say is I am glad I spent a week at the beach in Wilmington before heading up to ASLOK and could put up with the heat, sun and sun blindness.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My main complaint was about whoever occupied room 225. I wanted to get up at five thirty this morning and head for NC but like the previous evening Philippe and I had to listen to a blaring TV set in the middle of the night that disturbed our sleep. Thus I left at four and alerted the "Russian" front desk which called that room without result and headed up. I then beat feat for NC. I do not think it was one of us as I did not recognize the person when I saw him enter the room on Friday.

As for the sun and the Japanese hot box torture on the window side alcove of the ballroom all I can say is I am glad I spent a week at the beach in Wilmington before heading up to ASLOK and could put up with the heat, sun and sun blindness.
Ray, I have to ask, if Mr inconsiderate had his TV blaring away, why did you not go and knock on his door and ask him to turn it down? or in good old Brit fashion smack him in the chops!:mad:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Suck it up and drive on.

Scott

Well, the good news is that my room itself is not bad looking. No coffee pot or other amenities to speak of, though.

Everything else, though, seems to be problematic. There is no restaurant, there is no registration desk (just a table in a hallway), they removed all the coke machines so there is not a single fucking bottle of coke in the entire hotel, and they do not have a single hotel cart, so good luck getting your three tons of gear up to the 6th floor. They do have a tiny utility cart. One of the elevators is wonky.

There is construction all over the place.

They did not have the right type of tables on the 6th floor but supposedly this has been fixed by now. I won't go up there till tomorrow morning.

The no coke machines in the entire hotel by itself is a total deal breaker for me and I seriously regret that ASLOK is being held in this hotel this year. And I cannot believe that a goddamn hotel does not have a single luggage cart.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Ray, I have to ask, if Mr inconsiderate had his TV blaring away, why did you not go and knock on his door and ask him to turn it down? or in good old Brit fashion smack him in the chops!:mad:
This is America and I did not want to be the next statistic to a shooting in the middle of the night. Besides, it is the hotel's responsibility and given the size of the hotel, there would normally be someone assigned security. The new TV sets the hotel put in might have timers and automatic wake up so that might have been a problem in a vacant room.