Getting used to the new GameSquad

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Tried posting in the "Changes to GS Forum" thread, but that did not seem to take...

One carry-over question for the old format that I'm still trying to resolve:
When a post ages over a month, it appears to be automatically marked "Read" and the bold setting of the thread title is turned off. Is there a setting that I can change to prevent this from happening?

Incidentally, I'm liking Option 1 (blue highlights) for display preference instead of Option 3 (orange), the lower contrast is easier on the eyes.

Also, I am disappointed to find that I no longer "crave cake and pie." I thought I still did.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks George. Somehow I'd changed to display preference 3. The orange was a bit harsh. Didn't know how to change it. Blue is much better.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
What is the difference between Core Themes 3 and 4?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
When a post ages over a month, it appears to be automatically marked "Read" and the bold setting of the thread title is turned off.
How would you know? Surely there aren't any posts on the new forum that's a month old yet?

All of the posts that were carried over from the old forum were already marked read (I thought).

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
How would you know? Surely there aren't any posts on the new forum that's a month old yet?

All of the posts that were carried over from the old forum were already marked read (I thought).
Doesn't appear that way. There were threads started before the upgrade that I had not opened and are still unopened...

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Did anyone actually prefer the sub-forums links in a pop-up menu? I turned that option off so that they now show as regular links. However, since that's a style option and not a global forum option, I could make an extra style with the pop-up enabled if there's a demand for it.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Did anyone actually prefer the sub-forums links in a pop-up menu? I turned that option off so that they now show as regular links. However, since that's a style option and not a global forum option, I could make an extra style with the pop-up enabled if there's a demand for it.
I found the non-popup, IE current version to be preferable. You can see at a glance what is new, eg you can see that it's only a CH post in the publishers sub-forum and ignore it. I've gone with Core 2 (green). Anything that would help distinguish where a post starts and ends would make life easier on my ageing eyes and be appreciated. I am thinking a very light grey (or blue/green/orange/red to match the Core) overall background with the post background remaining in the current white.

One thing that amused me is that I am now a "Well-Known Member". That sounds like what Anthony Weiner was promoting!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I like the way they are now.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
>Incidentally, I'm liking Option 1 (blue highlights) for display preference instead of Option 3 (orange), the lower contrast is easier on the eyes.
>
Blue is hard on the eyes; that's why they make the orange "blue blocker" sunglasses. The wavelength isn't sharply focused on the retina. It also inhibits melatonin production and disturbs the sleep cycle. I use a piece of software that automagically removes the blue colors from my monitor in the evening & night, called f.lux.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I found the non-popup, IE current version to be preferable. You can see at a glance what is new...
Agreed. The ability to easily spot which sub-forums have new content is a nice touch.

Paul M. Weir said:
Anything that would help distinguish where a post starts and ends would make life easier on my ageing eyes and be appreciated.
Again, agreed. The old vBulletin template for this page had a header at the top of each post which served to break things up and act as a natural divider between posts, but Xenforo doesn't have that. Sure, I could add it in, but I'm really trying to avoid creating custom templates because it makes applying routine updates to the forum a serious pain. There's a lot to like about Xenforo, so I can live with a few minor niggles.

Paul M. Weir said:
One thing that amused me is that I am now a "Well-Known Member". That sounds like what Anthony Weiner was promoting!
At least it doesn't say, "No one knows the members you've known."

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Again, agreed. The old vBulletin template for this page had a header at the top of each post which served to break things up and act as a natural divider between posts, but Xenforo doesn't have that. Sure, I could add it in, but I'm really trying to avoid creating custom templates because it makes applying routine updates to the forum a serious pain. There's a lot to like about Xenforo, so I can live with a few minor niggles.
While even something like the light grey background to quoted text would do the job, but as a ex-IT person I can understand the reluctance to add something that could prove to be a maintenance nightmare in future, especially as you are new to the SW. Maybe as you learn you might find an easy way, but until then it's better to be cautious.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
The old vBulletin template for this page had a header at the top of each post which served to break things up and act as a natural divider between posts, but Xenforo doesn't have that. Sure, I could add it in, but I'm really trying to avoid creating custom templates because it makes applying routine updates to the forum a serious pain. There's a lot to like about Xenforo, so I can live with a few minor niggles.
Could you make it automatically insert a blank "like" with an underscore going across the page? Have to make sure that the likes stack on top of each other (top posting style).

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I should have mentioned that I like the red "New" flag in a thread and the way that the post dialogue box expands (up to 20 lines maximum), depending how much you type. Lots of shiny things to see once the initial glare has worn off.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Dumb question.....how do you upload an image now? I used to be able to "Save As..." a pic to my desktop folder. On GS I would select 'Insert Image' and it would let me select either 'From URL' or "From My Computer". Using 'From My Computer', it would let me select from my folders and insert it. Now, it only seems to allow one option, 'Enter URL'. Is there still a way to do it how I had been, because I don't understand the whole URL deal? Thanks.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the previous forum format one could select to open a thread with the latest post showing first and working backwards. Is that still an option? If so, how do I select it?

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, it's on the bottom of the ASL front page...

Screenshot - 9_26_2016 , 1_16_48 PM.jpg

Just click on "Thread Display Options."

Regards,
Jeff