Favorite summer olympic events?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
watching the dressage day 2 now - love good horse work.

had to record and watch the ladies 10m Air Pistol finals. Looking forward to more video clips from the Olympic trap and skeet events later on as well as more horse work.

:)

So what tops your lists of "must watch" events?

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More of a Winter Olympics fan, but gymnastics and swimming are always on in the house. I am a big tennis fan, but Olympics tennis usually doesn't do much for me. If I am in the mood for a train wreck, I will catch a U.S. men's basketball game and see them crush some poor victim by 50.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More of a Winter Olympics fan, but gymnastics and swimming are always on in the house. I am a big tennis fan, but Olympics tennis usually doesn't do much for me. If I am in the mood for a train wreck, I will catch a U.S. men's basketball game and see them crush some poor victim by 50.
I enjoy the biathalon events, and bobsledding - but love the horses in the summertime.

:)

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I like the cycling...it's explosive.

And clay pigeon shooting as I'm pretty good at it myself :D

And, bizarrely, archery. I like the archery.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The cycling and the rowing are the things I like, but I'm willing to add Rugby 7's to the list.

vetsurg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The indoor volleyball has had me hooked. Pretty intense game with great action. Too much celebrating between each point though. Also +1 here for the rugby 7's.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Are you British in disguise.....
LOL.
Canadians are a mix of the good parts of British culture with the good parts of American culture, and all the bad bits left behind.
Kind of the opposite of Australians. :cool:

But really, who didn't love seeing Fiji win a gold medal in rugby?

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
LOL.
Canadians are a mix of the good parts of British culture with the good parts of American culture, and all the bad bits left behind.
Kind of the opposite of Australians. :cool:

But really, who didn't love seeing Fiji win a gold medal in rugby?
They were astonishingly good at that.

Wondered why they aren't more a force in standard Rugby Union.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the one where they wear skimpy tight latex. Oh wait, that's all of them.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
I like shapely women as well as so many of you do, but there really isn't a sports-related reason why so many chick athletes are decked out for my entertainment. How can anyone possibly take women's beach volleyball seriously? And what channel is that on, anyway?

The next thing will be mud wrestling.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sex, sex, sex and more sex. Here's your Olympic uniform, a tiny strip of spandex.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
This tiny island got good at Gymnastics all of a sudden. I thought we were only competitive at sports we can sit down at.

It's a great games for us. Loving it.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
This tiny island got good at Gymnastics all of a sudden. I thought we were only competitive at sports we can sit down at.

It's a great games for us. Loving it.
Congatulations to GlaxoSimthKline, AstraZeneca and the like. Best felt in cycling but probably in many other areas.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Really enjoyed the fencing, I didn't think the coverage of that would be any good but as long as you ignored the commentators.
The hockey was great as was the rugby 7s.
Enjoyed the mend gymnastics but the womens made me feel vaguely uncomfortable. They are just too small!

The cycling was good but complex.
I've not seen any of the athletics due to timing.

Listened to the synchronised diving on the radio. If there was ever a short that was not suitable for radio, that is it!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Congatulations to GlaxoSimthKline, AstraZeneca and the like. Best felt in cycling but probably in many other areas.

Just looking at the medal table...can't see France on there.....

Oh...the one I can see only goes to 6th place, that's why :laugh:

Beaten by the Brits AND the Germans. Mind you...not the first time that's happened throughout France's history eh :laugh::laugh: Mebbe someone should invent a bicycle with 10 reverse gears and one forward...might improve your cycling performances.

Ooops....there's another gold. in boxing. Nicola Adams beats the French boxer. Imagine the odds......

Mo Farah should nab another one tonight unless he falls....umm, although falling didn't stop him pinching the 10km :salute::salute:

Look on the bright side though. Every cloud has a silver lining. If France keep on competing for another two or three weeks after the closing ceremony you might close the gap :toast:

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Really enjoyed the fencing, I didn't think the coverage of that would be any good but as long as you ignored the commentators.
The hockey was great as was the rugby 7s.
Enjoyed the mend gymnastics but the womens made me feel vaguely uncomfortable. They are just too small!

The cycling was good but complex.
I've not seen any of the athletics due to timing.

Listened to the synchronised diving on the radio. If there was ever a short that was not suitable for radio, that is it!
Farah's 10km was one of the gutsiest sporting things I've ever seen.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Just looking at the medal table...can't see France on there.....
Oh...the one I can see only goes to 6th place, that's why :laugh:
Actually it was more of a compliment as it showed the competitiveness of the British pharma sector, one of the few to be able to withstand Brexit well.

For the rest, i am happy that you found solace in watching the games this summer.

A good way to save money for more difficult times ahead.

Now i would encourage to look at India, Israel or Ireland. They got only two medals and i don't think their respective people feel diminished whatsoever. Actually they probably don't care as they know it's only entertainment on steroids.